• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Joel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to make of an ellipsis at the end of a post complaining about a review not explaining something clearly.
sorincha child

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
That was me attempting to not say something harsh about the review, or at least more than what I had already said.

But not that I think about it, me ending a post about a review that didn't elaborate like that is ironic and somewhat stupid of me. Besides, what I would have said was essentially what I have already touched upon. So allow me to fix that.

While it makes the review unique... It makes me believe this review is still more of an opinion article and not as well written as it could have been.

There. Cleared up, at least a little bit.
The Joel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap. That's what you were holding back? A summary of what you already said. I guess the elipsis was appropriate. They are often used to exclude redundant or commonly understood portions of quotations.
spankminister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Yeah, this wasn't a review. This was an assassination.

Here, I can do way better: "This game has pantyshots, peeing, and grisly murder in it. If you like those things, you will like this game. If you do not, you will not like this game."

Ideal ANN review MISSION COMPRETE. ANNZac, please make checks payable to spankminister. I seriously cannot believe all the reviewers here keep dropping the ball.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I still want to check out these games someday; if for no other reason than the lulz. I admit I have a twisted sense of humor
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
spankminister, that sort of "review" means nothing. It doesn't say how bad it is, it doesn't mention how there's no meaningful plot, it doesn't address how reprehensible the show is and how it is targeted to people who enjoy watching sexualised girls get brutally and violently murdered.

A review is supposed to be analytical, and examine and judge the work in question. You can't just say something like "it has this and this and this, if you hate those you'll hate the game. I can be okay with grisly murder in some contexts and hate it in others. A good reviewer will get into how those elements are used, whether they're used properly, whether they work. I thought Dave Riley made an excellent case of why those elements are bad; he even gave graphic examples to support his case. And he said he liked the first game which had an escape plot, but this game felt too gratuitous, made primarily for the murders.

This isn't a Death Note type situation where a reviewer gave poor grades to an amazing work, just because he didn't personally like it. If what Dave said is true, then Corpse Party: Book of Shadows deserved the grade it got.
JoePianist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
And what is the "accurately quality?" It greatly amuses me that there is the notion out there that there is some invisible, objective score that you're only allowed to deviate so far from with your subjective analysis before being pelted with the rocks of "objectivity" and "professionalism" by others. Given that no one can agree as to what this arbitrary "objective number/grade/etc" is, doesn't this show you how oxymoronic this idea is?

First of all, my original quote was, "I feel that giving this game an 'F' does not accurately reflect the quality of this visual novel."

Second, what I meant by the above statement is grading a game or other media by a certain scale that ranges from a clear standard-of-comparison. For example, an "F" should reflect the worst game possible that was made with little to zero effort, while an "A" should reflect the epitome or role model of an entertainment medium.

There's much worse games in existence, and on a standard-of-comparison with other visual novels that are out there, "Book of Shadows" is certainly not an "F" game.

(And on a personal and biased note, I highly recommend "Corpse Party" and "Book of Shadows" for PSP. If you're in the mood for a scary survival story, these games will satisfy those who are feeling a little adventurous Smile )
Eustace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
JoePianist wrote:
Second, what I meant by the above statement is grading a game or other media by a certain scale that ranges from a clear standard-of-comparison. For example, an "F" should reflect the worst game possible that was made with little to zero effort, while an "A" should reflect the epitome or role model of an entertainment medium.

So, basically, we can only grade things on their technical merits and any reference to the reviewer's personal experience should be excluded. I mean, if you really want to live in that world, then fi-

Quote:
(And on a personal and biased note, I highly recommend "Corpse Party" and "Book of Shadows" for PSP. If you're in the mood for a scary survival story, these games will satisfy those who are feeling a little adventurous )

Oh, nevermind, you just disagree with the bad things that he said about it.
sorincha child

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
If what Dave said is true, then Corpse Party: Book of Shadows deserved the grade it got.

Ok. Let me say one last thing (I hope it is one last thing) because this bothers me as much as what I talked about earlier.

There are many more reviews (positive and negative mind you) that go into more detail than this one. I think it would be a good idea to read other reviews of the game, or even watch a horrible LP or walkthrough on YouTube, before saying it deserved the lowest possible rating based on one person's opinion.

You can agree with him and hate it after, I don't care. This game may not be for you either. That would be your opinion and you have a right to it. But make your own, don't base what you think of anything around one singular person's opinion (unless that person is you of course). If you did and you found an F rated review of Death Note and never watched it, you would have certainly missed out wouldn't you?

In fact, speaking of other people's opinions, I will give my short one.

spoiler[I will admit, he is not wrong about the gore and violence being uncomfortable and malicious. It is. But that is sort of the point. It isn't supposed to be a comfortable read, it is supposed to make you disgusted and horrified, and if you can't stomach that at all... you are not going to like this game very much. I had to put the game down multiple times because it was too much for me, honestly. I'm actually a bit of a wimp. But that didn't ruin my enjoyment in the writing (which does have hiccoughs unfortunately) and the character expansion from the first game (which I believe is the shining light in this). And that doesn't make it automatically bad either, it just means it isn't for you.

Personally, I would give the game roughly C+ for fans of the first game because it's little more than a series of short stories to expand on character's and events in the first game (like an expansion pack or expensive DLC). The gameplay can be clunky, and if you save in the wrong places? You get stuck in an unfortunately ANNOYING AS fudge vortex of doom and despair and have to pick up from an earlier save or start the chapter all over again. I HATED THIS. It is my one major gameplay gripe, honestly.

However I would just give it a plain C if I had NEVER played the first game to begin with and then played that later on. It stands up... sort of alright on it's own but without the context of the first game it could just be tedious and confusing at times.

So... let's round it out by saying I personally believe this game is... a C overall. Not amazing by any means, but not absolute trash either. Just right dab in the middle. Unlike most people, it seems... it's either one way to either side for them.

If I was as disgusted by gore as he seems to be I would have given it a C- to a D+ because I would also realize the game isn't meant for me. I would judge what I didn't find objectionable, such as the art style and music, and lower the score accordingly, or not rate it at all. Not just slap an F on it unless I thought everything about it was horrid.]

And who knows, you might not find the details in the writing as bad as he describes (in fact, one example he gives (the guy who takes pictures of corpses) is taken out of the context that he is described that way to show that he is going completely out of his mind and to show just what this sort of situation can do to a person). You might disagree with him. But if you do agree, again, that's fine. Just try it out.

(But if horror really isn't your thing, well, I can't stop you from skipping it in the end. That doesn't mean it is bad, that just means it isn't for you. Fair enough.)

And now I will attempt to not beat dead horses because that is what this thread seems to be turning into.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like Funny Games: The Video Game

Do any of the murdering ghosts turn to the player at any point and chide them for playing this?
Sleverin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I'm more taken back that one of the last games for the PSP in America is mostly a visual novel. And a gory one at that. Odd how we can get that but not, say, either of the Digimons or other JRPGs. I'm pretty sure VNs are more niche than JRPGs

I'm also pretty surprised by that, it's not like VNs are a big, popular market out here. Hell I only just found out what they are last month by playing one and it was a fan-made free one...originating from 4 Chan of all places.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for a FPS- or GTA-type game. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Sounds like Funny Games: The Video Game

Do any of the murdering ghosts turn to the player at any point and chide them for playing this?

I think something like that would give the entire thing a point and thus have some merit rather than whatever this is.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
sorincha child wrote:
There are many more reviews (positive and negative mind you) that go into more detail than this one. I think it would be a good idea to read other reviews of the game, or even watch a horrible LP or walkthrough on YouTube, before saying it deserved the lowest possible rating based on one person's opinion.

No, there's absolutely no way I'm going to waste my time reading other reviews and watching walkthroughs for a game with a premise that disgusts me. Just not gonna happen.

sorincha child wrote:
If you ... found an F rated review of Death Note and never watched it, you would have certainly missed out wouldn't you?

If the reviewer accurately described Death Note's excellent premise and gripping execution then I might be interested enough to look up more information, even if was rated an F.

With Anime, I'm unlikely to miss out on any good shows, since I check out so many titles per season. I trust my own judgement, and usually don't wait for reviews before giving something a go.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Actually, here's the point for most of commentators here: it's a spin-off game. If you haven't played the original game yet there's no point for you to talk about this one. It's like talking about these Chocobo spin-offs when you haven't touch any of FF games yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6