• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Biggest Crybaby Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
...editing the smiley off of my sentence does not magically make it into a serious comment, you know.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Implying the female protagonists aren't supposed to be stronger than the male one? Razz

It's a shounen series, that's a pretty standard implication. Er, expectation. Very Happy I didn't say anything about their relative ability, though, since...
Quote:
I smell a dash of sexism.

...testicular fortitude is a matter of effort, not results. Even if the females are stronger, a dude should give it the old college try.

But that would conflict with his existentialist beliefs. By existentialist philosophy, the only thing that really matters is how Shinji feels about himself. And the specific tenet he follows encourages self-discovery through angst...of which there's plenty. Anime hyper I'm not saying it's not self-destructive or that it doesn't hurt the story, but you're judging Shinji by a societal norm that objectifies men as utilities and weighs their value based on their actions rather than bestowing intrinsic value as people the way gender does for women. Take a step back and think about the philosophy. And responding to your last comment, plenty of people take up existentialism in college. Wink
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Princess Tutu is also a favorite of mine! It was amazing how well the whole thing worked, considering it was a marriage of ballet+classical music+European fairytales+magical girl anime+a meta commentary on the nature of storytelling. And all the characters were lovable, to boot! The ending was also quite a bittersweet one, just as it should be based on the setup of the plot.

Another "tragic" anime I really love is Tsuikou-Hen (known in the States as Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal). All of the character development is very subtle, the emotions understated, and yet it really packs a punch with the finale. The gorgeous music and usage of symbolism help, too Smile

Well that marriage is part of why it worked. Wink None of those elements are bad on their own, as you're well aware. Smile It's not hard to see why it's a masterpiece.
designer215

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't post here often, but Sakura Kinomoto from CCS being on that list made me angry. Being an old fogie, Here are people I think should have been included.

Lynn Minmay - Macross. I know she's a 16 year old pop star who is in love with a pilot. Her entire world was shifted from a Chinese Restaurant to a giant transforming ship. All I wanted her to do was stop whining about not being able to see her boyfriend.

Vegeta. Yes, he did not really shed tears, but he whined and whined about being the Prince of Sayians and not being able to defeat Goku. That to me is a cry baby.

Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. She cried for Takahome, she cried about Yui getting in a better school and Cried about being the Priestess of Suzaku. The only thing I remember from Fushigi Yuugi is Miaka being a cry baby magical girl prototype. She does toughen up, after Yui slaps her around. Still a cry baby none the less.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
And having come after Cutey Honey and Sailor Moon, she doesn't even contribute that much. She seems to be one of the more thoroughly loathed anime characters I've seen. Anime smile
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
So after clicking through and reading this list...there are 2 separate, MAJOR bones I have to pick with this list.

First off, the inclusion of Sakura Kinomoto, I have a big problem with. I think that there's only ONE episode where ANY kind of crybaby tendencies and that's at the very beginning. The rest of the series, she comes off as apprehensive, which is much more in line with an actual 10 year old, when dealing with some more of the cards but I would hardly consider that to be a crybaby. Even then, when she DOES cry, its more in situations like in that picture used for the list or at the very end of the series. I think there are more worthy characters that could have used inclusion on this list than Sakura.

Second, Shinji Ikari....I'll fully admit to being a crybaby myself when I was younger. The biggest problem with including Shinji on this list is that Shinji holds his emotions in, he's not outwardly expending his emotions into tears, which as far as I'm concerned is the textbook definition of a crybaby. So I just think that this list is a really weak one because the way the writer defines being a crybaby. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think either Shinji or Sakura belong on the list.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't think of anything. Of course Shinji get's #1. That boy would curl up like a damn dog that was beaten. Oh the only one I could think of was the girl in Iczer-3. She was Nagisa's friend and for some odd reason she just became fragile. Considering how the old Nagisa was in Iczer-1 she eventually redeemed herself. She was a crybaby too. But she did have reason. But by the time Iczer-3 came around the Nagisa of that generation barely cringed from an event that would have rendered her useless. Talk about a change. But her friend was a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7