• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I thought I said that pretty succinctly myself.

I apologize. Somehow, the word "almost" slipped from my eyes and I read your post like this -

Quote:
Clearly almost noone out there ACTUALLY feels it deserves a 1, maybe a 5 or something, but they rate it a 1 just as an attempt to bring down the average.

I guess I should have read more carefully...

Anthony P wrote:
Even if you want a more exciting life, and even if you get that exciting life, you'll still be the same boring you."

I remember a show (perhaps an anime, not sure) where no matter what you were doing, another "you" in another dimension/world was doing the same thing. Or maybe it was something like "history is always repeating itself, and whatever you do has already been done by someone in the forgotten past."
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
My Muslim friend once told me that some legend regarding the Djinn has your Djinn doing exactly what you are doing in a parrellel universe all the time.

Regarding the whole protection thing I don't know what to say about that, but I'll try anyway with something resembling an anecdote (though I should probably keep from opening my mouth more often):

My favorite series is Zeta Gundam and I can find fault with it in some places and even laugh at some parts that are done poorly, likewise Suzumiya Haruhi is not my type of series at all (I don't really like newer shows, especially ones with a large female cast, if anybody wants I'll explain why, but I'd rather not if it can be avoided) but, I still liked it nonetheless, I acknowledge the good (Strong likeable characters, who actually have a personality and whom you want to see have their conflicts resolved) with the bad (silly plots that aren't really my cup of tea, although not silly enough to be annoying which is pretty much the only point where I draw the line between enjoying and not enjoying a series). Though I could never like it as much as I like say a mecha series which is my favorite genre.

I think it may depend on the person, whether they are over-protective of a show, or trash on others for one reason or another or not.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
To some extent, it does depend on the person. Some people simply can't take ANY criticism no matter how it is worded. If they read/hear something remotely negative about their favorite show (no matter how much it is praised at the same time), they will get offended and counter-attack.

At the same time, if someone starts blasting a series simply because they didn't like it, you can't expect fans to simply sit there and take, particularly if said person is basking in ignorance and is making ridiculous posts.

So yes, it does depend on the peson. Both of them.
Eidolone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
frouella wrote:
Dan42 wrote:
Or another way to put it:
An adventure is when something dangerous, exciting, and unique happens to someone else in far away place.

Yeah, that's definitely a more succinct way to put it! Laughing

While both of you had described it quite nicely, I still have a difficult time finding out the Chinese curse you mentioned in its original form. Rolling Eyes

" In a speech in Cape Town, South Africa, on June 7, 1966, Robert F. Kennedy said, "There is a Chinese curse which says, "May he live in interesting times." Like it or not, we live in interesting times..." Journalists picked up the phrase and it has become a commonplace.

However, the popularity of this "Chinese curse" puzzles Chinese scholars, who have only heard it from Americans. If it is of Chinese origin, it has somehow escaped the literature, although it may be a paraphrase of a liberal translation from a Chinese source, and therefore unrecognizable when translated back to Chinese. It might be related to the Chinese proverb, "It's better to be a dog in a peaceful time than be a man in a chaotic period."

Stephen DeLong, who has been researching this quotation for several years and details his quest on his own website, has traced the quotation back to a 1950 science fiction story: "U-Turn" by Duncan H. Munro, a pseudonym for Eric Frank Russell. "

Sidenote for dormcat Very Happy , god bless google + wiki
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, I sat here and read for about two and a half hours to catch up on this thread...and got about as much out of that time as I could have in two minutes.

When i read Dan's first post on un-originality i immediately went to public lists to see the vast array of anime he has seen, but alas, no list. For me this was quite original. I hadn't seen a better coreographed title, Kyon's commentary was refreshing and the episode order had never been done (as far as I can tell). The characters where meant to be stereotypical to the extent that that enabled the plot; it shouldn't distract from the overall rating of the show, IMO.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a totally different anime, and (though SHnY isn't mainstream either) it is far from mainstream, meaning not so many people will appreciate it as much as I do. I often have to go to the third page of posts to dig up the one on this other favorite anime of mine.

frentymon wrote:
"Who is more moe? Yuki or Mikuru?"

I vote Yuki.

I have to vote Mikuru, when she's acting the part for Haruhi.

Now for an original question: What's in ths slot to follow up the timeslot SHnY completed, or do they do like the US and rerun the series on TV?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eidolone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK)
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
Are you serious? Is it a cheesy preview of what they have for broadcast? At least that's what the title suggests to an American eye...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
To some extent, it does depend on the person. Some people simply can't take ANY criticism no matter how it is worded. If they read/hear something remotely negative about their favorite show (no matter how much it is praised at the same time), they will get offended and counter-attack.

At the same time, if someone starts blasting a series simply because they didn't like it, you can't expect fans to simply sit there and take, particularly if said person is basking in ignorance and is making ridiculous posts.

So yes, it does depend on the peson. Both of them.

I admit I used to do the basking in ignorance thing. Piece of advice to anybody else, it gets you absolutely nowhere, you cannot make a point unless you have the necessary knowledge to back it up, nobody in their right mind will take you seriously.

People seem really interested in the whole un-originality thing, and I'm going to again strongly recommend the TV Tropes website for curious people. It uses Wikisoft so you can add to it if you want, but you have to register with the website to use the edit function. Of course you can just read it if you want as well, its amusing to see some of the names they came up with for some of the cliches, and archetypes, and some entries even attempt to define an origin for a particular trope or cliche.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
Eidolone wrote:
However, the popularity of this "Chinese curse" puzzles Chinese scholars, who have only heard it from Americans. If it is of Chinese origin, it has somehow escaped the literature, although it may be a paraphrase of a liberal translation from a Chinese source, and therefore unrecognizable when translated back to Chinese. It might be related to the Chinese proverb, "It's better to be a dog in a peaceful time than be a man in a chaotic period."

Shoot, another "Chinese idiom" written by fortune cookie makers. No wonder I couldn't find it in any Chinese idiom dictionary. Rolling Eyes

As for the proverb at the end of this paragraph, I'd say it's yet another liberal translation from "寧為雞首 不為牛後" i.e. "better be a leader of a few than a slave of a powerful collective."

Thanks for pointing it out for me, Eidolone, and sorry for being off topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
[quote="Dan42"]
Anthony P wrote:
Quote:
The parallels he's drawn between the characters from other series are stretched rather thin. Just because a story's characters share some superficial similarities to characters from other stories does not render them stereotypical.

This is from a few pages back but I just had to answer. If you think that the HSnY character are even *slightly* original, you are utterly deluding yourself. Sure they are well fleshed, but even within the show, Suzumiya herself refers to Mikuru as the "moe lolita character", to Yuki as the "indispensable silent character", to Itsuki as the "mysterious transfer student". The show *itself* revels in the stereotypicalness of its characters, so don't even try to pretend they are original.

Furthermore it's a otaku-show where the audience is supposed to like the female cast very much and looks trough the eyes of Kyon at the girls. It's one of it's strong selling points. Buy as much merchandise from tsundere Haruhi, silent/deadpan Yuki and helpless moe Mikuru as one can. They're wet-dream characters for japanese Otaku.

Dan42 wrote:
If I had to name the theme of the series, I would say it's something like "we may want excitement and adventures from time to time, but in the end having a normal life is the best". Anobody else? What do you think the theme is? (if there is one)

I'd say on of the themes is "Carpe Diem". At the end of episode 12 Haruhi gets this idea of building up a band with the SOS-dan members for the next festival and there's rather slow & melancholic bgm used instead of a silly tune which stresses the comedy effect. Somehow I got the impression the producers wanted to stress the idea one should make good use of the day as much as possible so that (school) life doesn't get boring.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Shoot, another "Chinese idiom" written by fortune cookie makers. No wonder I couldn't find it in any Chinese idiom dictionary. Rolling Eyes

Yah, I'm sure there are a million of those. As for myself, I once got a fortune cookie that contained the supposedly apocryphal "Help, I'm beling held prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory". Smile

But 成语 (chéngyǔ, four-ideogram Chinese idioms) are popular all over the world for their inherently pithy style. Nowhere more so than in Japan, in fact, where they form a stylistic marker. The Japanese term is 四字熟語 (yoji jukugo, lit. "phrase formed by four kanji").

Sample yoji jukugo:
  • 傍若無人 - boujakubujin - behaving with arrogance, as if one were the only person present
  • 三日坊主 - mikka bouzu - "three-day monk" (i.e. giving up at the first sign of trouble)
  • 十人十色 - juunin toiro - "Ten people, ten colours" (i.e. suum cuique)
All of which will probably be as familiar to Chinese readers as to Japanese. But chéngyǔ / yoji jukugo form an important stylistic device in both languages, and deserve a bit of study.

- abunai

EDITED: Typofix

Last edited by abunai on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
While four-ideogram idioms are most prevalent in Chinese, a chéngyǔ is not necessary to be four-ideogram. Many of which contain more characters; it's almost impossible to express sufficiently complex meanings with three or less characters, however.

abunai wrote:
Sample yoji jukugo:
  • 傍若無人 - boujakubujin - behaving with arrogance, as if one were the only person present
  • 三日坊主 - mikka bouzu - "three-day monk" (i.e. giving up at the first sign of trouble)
  • 十人十色 - juunin toiro - "Ten people, ten colours" (i.e. suum cuique)

The first is almost identical to Chinese one: 旁若無人, and in many cases 旁 and 傍 are compaticle and interchangeable. The latter two, however, were Japanese originals.

abunai wrote:
All of which will probably be as familiar to Chinese readers as to Japanese. But chéngyǔ / yoji jukugo form an important stylistic device in both languages, and deserve a bit of study.

There are several examples used in anime episode titles, but none is better than this one. Wink

Are we talking about SHnY?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The first is almost identical to Chinese one: 旁若無人, and in many cases 旁 and 傍 are compaticle and interchangeable. The latter two, however, were Japanese originals.

I should have pointed that out, yes - the Japanese, as is so often the case, have grabbed an element of Chinese/foreign style and elaborated upon it in their own distinctly Japanese way.

I thought the last one was an original Chinese one, though. Shows how much I know.

- 娃侮那偉

(Yes, I'm just kidding)
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I started following this series around ep 9-10 (only because the first sub group I got just started on 1 and 2) and pretty much stayed away from ANN or the like while watching it. Before I get to the main point, I'd like to mention that I have a wide range of anime I like, some include Air, Shuffle!, Azumanga, Elfen Lied, Rizelmine, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, F/SN, Mizuiro, Lamune, Canvas 2, and many, many more (haven't rated them or put them on my seen lists yet, over 130 and all so far ><). Now the reason I mentioned this before hand is to show that I have a wide view for anime, so I'm not really biased against or for one genre. Now for the point, I LOVED this anime. There's just no other way to express what I feel for it. I'm only here right now because I liked this series so much that it drove to make an account just to give it the "Masterpiece" it deserves, which I reserve for the cream of the crop animes. Yes, I did give several others I liked Masterpiece because they are good, but if there was a way to give it an 11/10, this would be the only one I'd do so on. After reading this entire thread (about 2h40m with breaks between) I've found out there was a LOT I missed. After rewatching Kaleidostar I'm most likely going to watch Haruhi again to try to pick it up.

This was mentioned on another forum, but it seems there's a large amount of viewers who believe that Mikuru is somehow related to Kyon's "sister" (they never actually give their family name in the anime nor do they tell of their past) in that his sister is most likely Mikuru's great-grandmother or the like, which would make sense because of their personalities.

As for the Yuki v. Mikuru, Yuki FTW. If it was between Yuki, Mikuru, and Haruhi, I think there'd be a tie.

edit: And before anyone says anything, yes, I do know it's weird for someone to like both the strong-silent type of person (Yuki) and the wild/dominating/free spirited (w/e you wanna call it) type of person (Haruhi).
W3b3r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i know what you mean daemonblue. I think its Yuki's eyes that are really appealing. But Haruhi was kinda cute during the last episode and during "Someday in the Rain". I'd say a tie between all three. But if it was a vote just based on who was the best character I would have to say Kyon. He's just so witty and I really related to him (which is what he was designed to do I'd say).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 213