• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvelous USA Considers Senran Kagura Burst's Digital Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I just think it's a pretty embarrassing game that's just another slap on the image of Japanese games and games in general.

>_> guess it's a good thing we don't care what Americans think when it comes to video games. I know I stopped when companies have to xenophobically change and censor everything Japanese to American stuff in order to get Americans to even look at the things -_-; I'll never understand why I see people who still want anime to be more mainstream in America. you'll just end up getting more BS drama like this attached to it.. we should be glad our hobby is out of the eyes of these radicals.
I like how you are basically attributing xenophobia to thinking extreme sexual trash is a poor representation of Japanese games. Are you trying to tell me that something like Sengan whatever is a good example of Japanese culture?

If so I have to laugh. This has nothing to do with censoring or xenophobia. Please shut up about that. You make Japanese culture sound so small when you aquait talk of xenophopia with this game.

I mean hell these kind of games aren't even that big in Japan. Yes, the Vita and 3DS release have sold well, but that's more of the exception. Stuff like this is otaku bait and well Japan has for more to it then that. This stuff is probably seen as trash in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
>_> I was talking about how I dont care if this game makes people dislike Japanese games just because this is an industry that has had such a huge bias against Japanese games to begin with so who cares if its a slap to the image. If simply having sexual themes in a game is enough to do that then maybe games from a culture that is more open about the human body and sexuality aren't for them. >_> thank god we have such advocates forbdiding the human body from being on display while games like CoD where kids buy them in droves to murder and butcher people go by without so much as a second glance.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
And no, this game isn't embarrassing anyone. Its game aimed at fanservice fans and that's all there is to it. There are plenty of renowned Japanese games to keep the wheel spinning for years to come. These type of games aren't going to distort their image because they aren't aimed at the mass market, they are mostly intended for a small audience of gamers.

True, but keep in mind this kind of stuff is in plenty of "mainstream" games as well. Just recently Fire Emblem Awakening got hit with censorship in America with it's swimsuit DLC. A lot of Japanese games tend to be more open with fanservice than western games which generally gets censored out or altered. I mean, look at Pokemon, Rockman, and other games that get heavily altered in America for being either too-Japanese or having objectionable sexual content. And those that aren't censored tend to get berated and ridiculed for it. If people want to consider that content "slap in the face" then so be it, I suppose. Just remember just because you don't like it doesn't make it offensive or bad. I hate shooters, and the fact every big name American game has to be one in this day and age with little variety, but I won't say it's a "slap in the face of American games/gaming" because I know the American market loves those games.

Quote:
Video Game sites biased to mostly to Western games however, such as Gamespot and IGN, are going to give you the vibes that these games greatly affect their rep when in truth they don't. I suggest you avoid them and sites alike as they are generally opinionated all the time and offer nothing in substance.

Pretty much. It's why I roll my eyes whenever Gamespot or other sites claim the Wii-U will fail because it won't have EA's games on it because their engine is incompatible. As if Japan was going to buy the next Mass Effect and other shooters they have planned to begin with. They apparently don't know what the Japanese market is into if they think that way. Just like slamming a Japanese game for being "too Japanese" is met with eye rolling as well. They don't exactly have very much perception on the issue.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
>Completely ignore every argument to the contrary

Never change, Titan.

Quote:
we should be glad our hobby is out of the eyes of these radicals.

Someone telling you that what you like is puerile shit is not being a "radical".

Quote:
As for the feminist debate around here, feminists shouldn't stick their nose in video games, fictional mediums, or free speech of any sort. Authors/producers should be free to produce whatever they want, that tailors to their consumers. This is a free country(in theory at the very least) and we should be allowed to consume, read, watch, and play with whatever we want. Nobody is being harmed by entertainment and nobody is degrading women as Anita Sarkeesian, and her crowd of far-leftists claim.

You are literally so cocooned in your privelege that you are willingly ignorant.

Must be being so priveleged. I wouldn't know. I actually had to work for shit instead of getting it handed to me on a silver platter
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>Completely ignore every argument to the contrary

Never change, Titan.

Quote:
we should be glad our hobby is out of the eyes of these radicals.

Someone telling you that what you like is puerile shit is not being a "radical".

Quote:
As for the feminist debate around here, feminists shouldn't stick their nose in video games, fictional mediums, or free speech of any sort. Authors/producers should be free to produce whatever they want, that tailors to their consumers. This is a free country(in theory at the very least) and we should be allowed to consume, read, watch, and play with whatever we want. Nobody is being harmed by entertainment and nobody is degrading women as Anita Sarkeesian, and her crowd of far-leftists claim.

You are literally so cocooned in your privelege that you are willingly ignorant.

Must be being so priveleged. I wouldn't know. I actually had to work for shit instead of getting it handed to me on a silver platter

Being a bit overly defensive aren't you, this is why feminists are looked down on, because they try to shove things down others throats. Video games are a form of artwork. If the developers want to draw and animate women with large breasts, that is their artistic right. Video game characters are FICTION, nobody is harmed in the creation of this FICTION. Laws are crafted around REAL women, and women rights are made for REAL women, they do not apply to works of art.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
<_< I dun think what he's saying qualifies is defensive. it qualifies as hateful. for all his ranting about misogyny and hate towards another gender, the only person in this topic I see being hateful is him. some people just need to look in a mirror every once and awhile
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
<_< I dun think what he's saying qualifies is defensive. it qualifies as hateful. for all his ranting about misogyny and hate towards another gender, the only person in this topic I see being hateful is him. some people just need to look in a mirror every once and awhile

I suppose that's true. I honestly found it kind of funny. Riding in on the high horse, immediately talking down to people, etc.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

I suppose that's true. I honestly found it kind of funny. Riding in on the high horse, immediately talking down to people, etc.

Not to drag the thread on any longer but there is term called "poking the bear". I would advise to stop before we get another 200 post thread over a damn game, by doing so let this be last post in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Hahaha............ Western gamers are chauvinist pigs like the rest of us........... just have to make females look more legal............... Laughing

In this case, it's less the "sex" part that's bothersome, it's more the "violence to females" part to get to the "sex" part that's raising tensions higher..................

And let's face it, some parts of Japanese culture will always raise eyebrows in the West since Japanese society is more a paternalist culture. Look at some Central African nations that are not religious zealots, more open to the West, but are even more paternalistic than Japan. That kind of paternalist culture, where males have even more control over females, would bother even Japan! So it's just the level that people are used to. Those Africans are used to a lot of it, Japanese are used to much of it, while the West are used to less of it.

(Or ya could reverse it with, say, the more in-your-face culture of the West. Westerners are more used to being more direct/explicit/brutal, but Japanese aren't as used to that or the way they do business.)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
As for the feminist debate around here, feminists shouldn't stick their nose in video games, fictional mediums, or free speech of any sort. Authors/producers should be free to produce whatever they want, that tailors to their consumers. This is a free country (in theory at the very least) and we should be allowed to consume, read, watch, and play with whatever we want.

I think that there’s a rather serious contradiction here. You put a lot of weight on freedom of speech for game developers and consumers, but to the end of instructing feminists not to exercise theirs. If there is a freedom to, “to consume, read, watch, and play with whatever we want,” then there is a freedom to criticize those choices that comes with it. (And naturally the right to criticize that criticism and so on) Developers are free to make them and you're free to play them, there's no real way or effort to compel otherwise, but others are free to criticize doing do. That these games can be criticized makes it more of a free country, not less. Again, this is not, “you’re wrong,” but, “SHUT UP!”

I don't know where this notion of freedom of speech as a one-way shield for people who enjoy the status quo came from, but it's really irritating.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

You're projecting. Quite a bit I might add.

Some people deserve to be hated, by the way.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
BTW can I state for the record that Chagen is a terrible advocate for Feminsim?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
In what possible way?

I have convictions and unlike most people I'm forceful with them.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Well on Siliconera, it looks like Marvelous has made and planned a English logo for this game. So that tells me this game is probably getting a English release soon.

Xseed/Marvelous USA is looking into bringing this game to the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
In what possible way?

I have convictions and unlike most people I'm forceful with them.

Gee I dunno, maybe because youre terrible at presenting your opinion in a way that people will take you seriously? Nobody opposing your view will ever take you seriously if you constantly attack them with your words. Youre overly forceful with your "convictions".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5