• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids TV Sticks with Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
bennyb wrote:
But I do not see anything as blunt as "We are going to stop liscencing anime." I only wish...

How could you miss this paragraph?
Quote:
Heading forwards, it was stressed that 4Kids wants to focus on properties it owns, as opposed to properties that it licenses. Fully owned properties and co-owned properties do not expire or have restrictions placed on them by licensors. New properties that 4Kids is committed to include "Viva Pinata," a game and TV series being produced with Microsoft, and Chaotic, a card game from Denmark for which 4Kids has purchased all rights.

all that says is that their focusing on their own properties more to build brand names for them. It doesn't say that they're gonna stop licensing anime. Frankly, didn't they licenses Pretty Cure after that report? yes they did. so anime isn't going no where with 4Kids. Its just that there is no good anime titles left out there that's worth their time after naruto. Frankly I don't blame them for focusing on their own stuff because they do great there. I think Chaotic is gonna rock as well as Pinata.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
Frankly, didn't they licenses Pretty Cure after that report?
Nope your a month off.

Compare the dates in the link below VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Dargonxtc wrote:
Oh wait never mind I found it. 5th paragraph down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
bennyb wrote:

Quote:
Heading forwards, it was stressed that 4Kids wants to focus on properties it owns, as opposed to properties that it licenses. Fully owned properties and co-owned properties do not expire or have restrictions placed on them by licensors. New properties that 4Kids is committed to include "Viva Pinata," a game and TV series being produced with Microsoft, and Chaotic, a card game from Denmark for which 4Kids has purchased all rights.

all that says is that their focusing on their own properties more to build brand names for them. It doesn't say that they're gonna stop licensing anime.
Jeez. I know some really think headed people, but holy cow. Their own properties is stuff they make. Unless 4Kids get with a Japanese company to make them something, they aren't going bother picking it up. IE: They won't pick up any more anime.

However, things can change and they might just start picking anime again. BE AFRAID YOU WEAK MINDED MORTAL! You better starting up stocking up on can soup and batteries just to be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Laruto wrote:
bennyb wrote:

Quote:

all that says is that their focusing on their own properties more to build brand names for them. It doesn't say that they're gonna stop licensing anime.
Jeez. I know some really think headed people, but holy cow. Their own properties is stuff they make. Unless 4Kids get with a Japanese company to make them something, they aren't going bother picking it up. IE: They won't pick up any more anime.

However, things can change and they might just start picking anime again. BE AFRAID YOU WEAK MINDED MORTAL! You better starting up stocking up on can soup and batteries just to be safe.

and duct tape. Can't forget the duct tape.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Their own properties is stuff they make. Unless 4Kids get with a Japanese company to make them something, they aren't going bother picking it up. IE: They won't pick up any more anime.

If I can play devil's advocate for a second. Changing focus doesn't necessarily mean they're abandoning anime all together. They continue to renew One Piece and Yugioh and did license Pretty Cure. I realize there was a month between the PC report and the "focus" report, but I highly doubt they made those reports the same day they made those decisions, I'm sure they were already considering their change of focus when negotiating for PC.

What we'll probably see is them being much more selective with their anime licensing, maybe a title a year, and only ones that require the least amount of editing (no more One Pieces and Shaman Kings).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="bennyb"]
Ataru wrote:
Laruto wrote:
bennyb wrote:

Quote:

ok first off i don't trust that they're gonna stop raping anime one bit, and even if they are gonna stop taking new ones that doesn't mean that One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh are saved (just pokemon) they are still under the control of the evil Al Kahn and the only way to save them is by making them have no choice but to sell them and to do that we must stop them from profiting off that Chaos thing!!! hopefully if they get into enough debt they will sell One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh over to a good company like FUNimation or mabey even VIZ but this won't happen if they keep making money from other crap so don't buy into it Mad
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
(response to article; did not read other posts)

"Fifth season of 4Kids TV begins on Fox"

In the immortal words of the equally immortal Clark Gable:

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a..." (You know the rest.)

I'm sorry if the above sounds rude (really, I am*), but I personally think that ANN should limit it's reports of "4Kid$" to articles that are "interesting". Otherwise, it's the same old Oscar-Mayer bologna again.

Thank you in advance for understanding.

*In fact, I am actually being generous. I could actually drop the ball right now, and say what I "really" mean. However, I respect this website, it's admins, and all forum members, so I'm trying to be as level headed about this as possible.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
ok first off i don't trust that they're gonna stop raping anime one bit, and even if they are gonna stop taking new ones that doesn't mean that One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh are saved (just pokemon) they are still under the control of the evil Al Kahn and the only way to save them is by making them have no choice but to sell them and to do that we must stop them from profiting off that Chaos thing!!! hopefully if they get into enough debt they will sell One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh over to a good company like FUNimation or mabey even VIZ but this won't happen if they keep making money from other crap so don't buy into it Mad

Do you even hear yourself talk? You sound like a 10 year old trying to take over the playground. Laughing

Emerje
Fuka Narutaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i did a search on the net and found out what Chaotic is. Card anime. I'm tired of this stuff........first it was Pokemon or digital monsters, then YuGiOh, then Bayblade, and now Chaotic. I'm glad to say it's been done.

Dispite YuGiOh breaking a record for most sold cards around the world, i believe, it has still played out. Releasing a new anime that involves cards will not spark the fire again.

We should move on to something else now.......something that has not been done on ppublic television in terms of anime. Something that can be popular as Pokemon or YuGiOh once were.

And no Shoujo...........as you can see Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power) and Ojamajo Doremi (Magical Doremi) did horrible and no one even cares for it anymore.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Man, there's a lot of really dumb people here who seem to only be concerned with the past two years and have forgotten how 4Kids turned Anime into mainstream media with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. It's arsinine to even suggest that CN and Fox's popularity (at least initially) did not benefit from riding the jet stream that was 4Kids.

And, also...the only Anime 4Kids really "butchered" would be One Piece. When an excellent title like Shaman King, with a good voice over to boot, fails to attract an audience (do not dare say "oh, it's the fault of 4Kids' timeslot), it's pretty clear the faults lie with the Anime and not necessarily with the dub.

coldspider wrote:
This is Chaotic?

It's SuperSaiyanOrcMon...

Looks good. That piñata show did as well. I hope the shows work well for 4Kids, though I doubt they'll be "the next biggest thing". However, phenomenon-level status for these shows is still possible; I have not seen enough of either to make serious judgements.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
One could argue that they used some "creative licensing" with their series, and that's the main sticking out which naturally gets blown out of proportion.

So, if all this is going on Fox, what's going on the CW?
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
If I can play devil's advocate for a second. Changing focus doesn't necessarily mean they're abandoning anime all together. They continue to renew One Piece and Yugioh and did license Pretty Cure. I realize there was a month between the PC report and the "focus" report, but I highly doubt they made those reports the same day they made those decisions, I'm sure they were already considering their change of focus when negotiating for PC.
Yeah, I doubt they would drop tiltes just becasue they had a change of heart. If Yi-Gi-Oh and One Piece still works for them, why drop when their time is up. Pretty Cure was already in the bag before they decide to shift from anime to their own propeties, so why give it up now? That's why I went on to say that they might change their mind and go back to grabing anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Fuka Narutaki wrote:
Dispite YuGiOh breaking a record for most sold cards around the world,

Magic: the Gathering would beg to differ.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Fuka Narutaki wrote:
Dispite YuGiOh breaking a record for most sold cards around the world,

Magic: the Gathering would beg to differ.

Wait Magic the gathering is big overseas? I know it is a huge card game in the US but I never got into the game enough to know how big it is. Yu-gi-oh is nothing short of a monster when it's come to card games, I know that it a huge deal around the world. I wonder exactly how many cards Yu-gi-oh claims to have sold.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S. I beg to differ also the standard 52 card deck own both Magic and Yugi.
lledra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
so, are they still dobbing One Piece? I thought that they had stopped. Or maybe it was only hope.

I don't hate everything 4Kids, I believed they did a good job with Pokemon. I, along with others,I believe, really just have a problem with what they end up doing to alot of their anime.

If they just put out un-edited dvds, I really wouldnt care what the television was made into... *sigh*

Although, I am so going to buy the 1st season [unedited] of Pokemon. Such good memories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3