• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Dark Children's Anime Film Ringing Bell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
An interesting choice for the next anime title to be listed on Discotek's catalog. I never seen this film, but after seeing those screenshots and read the summary, I can see that it is a dark story. Course Sanrio also did the Unico films which all of them had a darkness to them especially the Baron from the first film. I also like how Discotek licensed another Masami Hata film as they previously licensed Little Nemo(loved the Blu-ray edition). So I'll definitely check this film out when I'm able to purchase it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
Well, there's another movie to add to my depressing animated films collection

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe they'll grab Star of Cottonland someday, that's one of the great 1984 films

I would absolutely love for that to happen, or maybe The Dog of Flanders being re-released. Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I would absolutely love for that to happen, or maybe The Dog of Flanders being re-released.

Yay! Somebody else who agrees that Dog of Flanders should be saved!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 am Reply with quote
Darn!! I was hoping Funimation would license this, it's definitely their cup of tea considering how dark it is.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
I could smooch Discotek's corporate face right now! This is so awesome. What an amazing, haunting movie. Can't wait to get this release!!

Quote:
Maybe they'll grab Star of Cottonland someday, that's one of the great 1984 films

Oh yes! Anybody who published Cottonland over here would be my forever hero!
Pamachu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yet another film I can use to traumatize my kids!

Discotek can do no wrong!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
This is the most awesome news EVARRRRR!!!!!
I know that fans have been asking for this title for a long time and now your prayers have been answered. I definitely want this for my shelves. I'll also be adding this to my list of titles for our library collection.

I'd never seen this title before except when it was mentioned some years ago by fans and links on YouTube showed up. For some reason old shows like this that are filled with old school violence, angst and drama seem to raise the hairs on my neck. I don't know why this is, but I found this out after watching "Nagareboshi Gin" which is animated in the same vein. Speed line violence, blood, and the most dramatic scores that let you know that the "hero" never gives up. Or the moments of death that are filled with "irony". So I'm really pleased about this release. Now Discotek can we also have "Orpheus of the Stars" and "Anderson Dowa: Ningyo Hime" (1975 the one that OS fans have been trying to get a decent copy of and mislead by a version that isn't by the same studio and are mislead by the covers) films?
holanio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
This movie was quite the movie. Nice to see it getting a DVD license =D
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Darn!! I was hoping Funimation would license this, it's definitely their cup of tea considering how dark it is.

Ummm, since when is Funimation in the habit of licensing 30 year old Sanrio movies? Also, what difference does it really make who licenses this? The movie is already dubbed and it's doubtful that anyone else's release would be much different than Discoteks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2