• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideaki Anno Releases Statement About New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
can you honestly say this isn't true? sure there's been a lot of cheap imitations, but no one's even come close to Eva yet.

But then, there's been lots of shows that were much better, more innovative and more effective than Eva, both before and after Eva aired. (Eva's got nothing on, say, Utena. Nothing.) I never really understood the reason Eva is regarded as Best Anime Ever - it's definitely worth more than crap like Elfen Lied, but I agree with CCSYueh, it is a load of pretentious fluff that got popular because too many people think that pretentiousness=real depth, angst=real drama and incoherence=complexity.

Yes, it left its mark on the anime industry, but that was back in the nineties and both Anno and Gainax haven't done anything particularly worthy of attention ever since except shamelessly milking the Eva franchise, which this new movie only continues. Really, if their desire "to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future" and "to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime" is so strong why didn't they sit down and come up with something new and innovative instead of reviving an old franchise?
Kibate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
well, if everyone says there opinion, here is mine:
anno is emo, his ego is somewhere on the moon
but im SO looking forward to the movies! EOE was just genius, the ending to the series was fine too(i guess i was one of the few who understood what was happening) and seriously, we get to see 4 movies with fighting with super animation, that's all we want, right?
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Maximum_Anderring wrote:
Oh boy, guys? Going with the jaded, cynical response? You're so world weary - you don't even need to see this because you've got everything figured out. That's exactly what everyone thinks when they make their won piece of art, nothing else to it.

I don't know about that. There are many reasons to make art, and being an art student at an art school, this sort of sentiment was never among what I felt at all.

You can be talented and still humble.
Kardlonoc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Man o man, you guys are responding like he's going to personally respond back or something. Personally i think its great he's returning to evangelion and he brings up some great points mainly : What has happen to anime? seriously in the 80s anime used to kickass, It used to be on the very edge of great artistic expression. And now what? the whole industry is filled with kiddie garbage that the tweenage weaboos just gobble up. Shit like Inuyasha, Bleach and naruto are practically the sons of dbz with all the same stupid plotlines and twists inflated beyond belief for maximum profit. Crap like that is ruining the industry, its setting the bar so low that any dumb manga turned anime could be the next big japophile hit. The whole market is like this filled with harem, romantic comedies and mecha archtypes all the same bland crap thats extremely marketable. Oh there are many gems out that are very orginal but overall its filled the same old same old crap produced with little effort in innovation or originality.
Eva in the 90s challenged the entire art form it could be said that it set standard for all to follow. This "2nd" rebirth if anything will be interesting. how to retell a tale thats already been told? Will he makes things finally clear? Indeed it could be the answer to decade long questions still lingering about. Perhaps its part of the play but thats what makes it interesting.

Last edited by Kardlonoc on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kardlonoc wrote:
seriously in the 80s anime used to kickass, It used to be on the very edge of great artistic expression.

......WHAT? Very Happy No really, what? Just how many 80s anime have you seen?

Kardlonoc wrote:
Eva in the 80s challenged the entire art form

Rrright. Who can point out what's wrong with this sentence?
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

About the press release: It does sound like Anno is being rude, but quite honestly, a lot of press releases are written that way. This one was particularly difficult to translate, since a lot of words that Anno uses make little or no sense (or just sound bizzare) when literally translated. He is being a bit egotistical (the "there is no anime newer than Eva" bit made me chuckle...), but it's not unheard of to see a PR announcement like this.

If any of you are studying Japanese, you might want to check out the original announcement - it's a really good example of how certain phrases and words can be used in Japanese in ways that they cannot in English.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else... he did let his ego run wild on this one.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I can't wait for these movies!

I didn't pick up any rudeness or ego in what Anno said. Evangelion is the best anime ever created, and I agree with everything he said about the "original" Eva. If he says the new movies will be better, you better believe it.
LostOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I cant agree with the bulk of you guys.

Reading what Anno had said, made my swell up inside.

To Me, EVA was the definitive Anime for its generation.

It really makes me proud, it makes me happy to see it come back. To inject something into the Anime Community. People have become disenfrachised with Anime, that is true, and if Anno promises a Masterpiece like no other, than I will be the first one to say that he wil deliver. Mark my words.

Yeah, I am being very Fanboyish here, but his work not only brought back familiar themes we saw in pervious anime (Yes I agree There were Greats before Eva, but how many really pushed what he did? He wasn't the first, but he definitly turned a few heads)

Anno isn't trying to make the HIP Anime, it would be too easy. Hip would mean to conform to the standard. Anno... this great man is setting his work up on a pedastal just so we can all see it fall. At the end of the day if we can see the anguish, and his need for something less stagnant, it will inspire the writers, the animators.

Is he completely there? I dont think so, but are we on teh verge of seeing his Masterpiece, his vision? Yes.

I know I just got rather foolish now, you would have to excuse me on that. It is just about time someone is standing up to challenge, even if they are wrong. Only Anno can make a statement like that, and follow through giving the same industry he just blasted a work that will certainly go under scrutiny. If that isn't brave, I don't know what is.

His Prod Comp, his money, his vision. You guys may not consider it a great work once it drops, but we will all be able to agree, it will be his Finest work.
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.

Oh, I see. So Shinji actually has a spine in the remake.

I would pay REAL money to see that. Also for Asuka to not comparatively suck as a pilot, and Rei to be killed about a dozen more times.

I think what Anno means when he says there's been no anime "newer " (note the quotations they used) is supposed to mean that there's been nothing as fresh and different compared to what's out there as when Eva first aired. Not that I agree or disagree with that statement, but it's just my take on it.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
can you honestly say this isn't true? sure there's been a lot of cheap imitations, but no one's even come close to Eva yet.

My original intent was to post a reply to this... until I noticed I had about four minutes to catch a bus to class. In all honesty, my view on this is similar to mufurc's: the show as a huge influence in the mid '90s, but it's had its fifteen minutes of fame, and should take its place in the annals of history. The show will always be dear to me, but even I cannot say that it has been the epitome of everything I've watched over the years. A high point, yes, but not the peak.

Last edited by NGE1113 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think what Anno means when he says there's been no anime "newer " (note the quotations they used)

The quotations aren't in the original - I was trying to make the statement sound a little less odd since he says "new" and there's really no better translation that sounds natural (probably because it's an odd thing to say to begin with). I'll fix it.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Some day someone will have to explain to me why "emo" is bad. Until I have a reason not to, I'll be looking forward to the new Eva movie. The series wasn't ZOMG perfect, but it's importance and influence can't be overestimated. Like Evangleion itself, the press release makes far more sense in the context of otaku culture and contemporary Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly not interested in "otaku culture". THe problem with Eva is not its impact (unfortunate IMO) on the anime market, but that the story itself is full of holes, Anno at first tried to say that patched ending was the correct one then went to do the even more horrible movies. On the top of that, in an interview he slammed everyone because they couldn't understand him (I have read said interview, by the way).
THen, after 12 years in which I didn't miss him, he gets back and starts again by saying "Look how I'm great! All the others aren't up to my standards" doing what I call a rehash of a series....So much for being "innovative".
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Great. So we can look forward to ANOTHER 10 years of bad Evangelion copycats. He did a decent enough job of deconstructing the super robot genre the first time. Isn't a reconstruction usually supposed to follow the deconstruction of a genre, or am I too hopeful?
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
But then, there's been lots of shows that were much better, more innovative and more effective than Eva, both before and after Eva aired.

I absolutely agree. Even after seeing Eva some eight or nine years ago, several shows have surpassed it on my personal lists in terms of storytelling, characterization, directing and even emotional impact.

However, there's no denying that Evangelion---bloated, swiss-cheesed storytelling or not---left an indefinable impact on the Japanese animation industry, and its merchandising aspect that can still be felt and seen today. GAiNAX's milking/beating of the dead horse has been the butt of jokes for years, but someone is buying up all this merchandise to continue to make it lucrative for them.

Hence, the new movies---remakes, retellings, prequels, side-stories or whatever---and Anno's attempt to bring Evangelion back to the top and make it relevant again. Well, far more relevant than it has been, in the past couple of years, than relying on just statues and typing games alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9