• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm getting the impression that he doesn't even think they will complete all 1,000 kms in these 4 days.

I'd actually venture to guess that he has an expected number for each of the bikers and if they meet that mark they will pass. After all he expected Onoda to do worse than he ended up doing (around 160 or something) so i'm pretty sure he doesn't expect him to finish it.

But he'll more than likely watch them closely on the final day to see just how hard they want to complete the challenge and go off of that as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Are you kidding me, Onoda still has to be told when to use the gears! Surely he must be like autistic or something (I am on the spectrum so I can make jokes like that).

And being able to figure out how to use a water bottle and squeezing it to get water out, how are those only traits of someone who bikes? That is just silly.

I might to a little math. 1000 / 4 = 250km a day. 250 / 5 = 50 laps a day.
lets go with 12 hours a day: 50 / 12 = 4.17 laps an hour.
4.17 * 5 = 20.83 km/h, that is the average they have to hold up for 4 days straight.
Could someone tell me if this is an insane amount.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the episode yet but the manga didn't give them 12 hours of riding time IIRC...they had to stop by a certain time due to the lack of daylight (it gets dark very early in Japan because there's only one time zone and no daylight savings).

And there's no way anyone could ride (at a respectable pace) for 12 hours straight... well, no normal human. Even a pro race only lasts half that time. They have to rest if not because they're tired but because they'd be super hungry and you can only process so many calories in a given amount of time.

Maintaining 20 km/h on flat ground for several hours is no problem though. 30 km/h on flat ground is the typical cruising speed of a road bike. But half the course is uphill, so the average speed would be much lower (you don't gain back all the speed lost going downhill because of air resistance). The cruising speed on flat ground for pros is more like 40-50 km/h, though... and that's alone. In the peloton (drafting) they might average 50+.

Compared to everyone else, there something else holding Onoda's pace back... can you guess what it is?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I haven't seen the episode yet but the manga didn't give them 12 hours of riding time IIRC...they had to stop by a certain time due to the lack of daylight (it gets dark very early in Japan because there's only one time zone and no daylight savings).

In the episode each team member was given a bike-mounted light so they could ride at night. They finished the first day at 10pm.

Banken wrote:
Compared to everyone else, there something else holding Onoda's pace back... can you guess what it is?

Him not adopting a proper riding position? The way he sits it's like he's still using a normal bike rather than a racer. His body position is different to everyone else's.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Nope... that's not it.

His position is more upright because he's a beginner and in real life the bent-over position of an elite road racer would tire him more than it makes him faster (although it does make you more aerodynamic), and his bike is set up for this (like mine is... and it still hurts my neck). If you want to know why people say "flip the stem!" on cycling forums, that is the reason why... lower is faster and cooler looking.

(But that's still not it)
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Banken - I was going to suggest the riding position as well. Is it because he got car sick and vomited a lot? Dehydrated?
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
Hint... it's not a technique problem at all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Are you getting at the fact that he's essentially riding alone? His whole reason for riding is to ride with other people, and when he catches up to them it's because he doesn't want to ride by himself (it was ok when he was going to get anime swag, because Hime was waiting at the finish line Smile ).

He's not having any fun.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Nope... Watch Ep 11. It's something that appears a bunch in that episode although it isn't mentioned.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
For some reason I thought you were looking for something that wasn't equipment related, but now I see you didn't rule that out. The only things I see are he's the only one wearing long pants (why does he?), which he'd be fighting against with every stroke. But Naruko also was wearing tights during the welcome challenge, so I dunno. I just know it's easier for me to bike in shorts than long pants.

Also, he has no clips on his pedals (and his shoes don't appear to have the cleats for clipless pedals, given how his foot came off the pedal when he stopped), so he's losing power there too. If neither of those was what you were thinking, I give up. Very Happy

And I still think his attitude is holding him back as well. Wink
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also, he has no clips on his pedals (and his shoes don't appear to have the cleats for clipless pedals, given how his foot came off the pedal when he stopped), so he's losing power there too. If neither of those was what you were thinking, I give up. Very Happy

And I still think his attitude is holding him back as well. Wink

That was it. I ignored the cycling shorts thing because it hasn't come up in the manga (in real life he would be miserable). Without clipless pedals and cycling shoes, he would only be able to push down on the pedals. With them you can pull up, which means you have twice the power.

He's riding in sneakers.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
All the mysteries have been solved. Good job Gina!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
I think Midousuji-kun is the Anti-Onoda. oo

Looks like they'll probably address the pedal clips issue soon. I noticed they touched on it several times this episode, both visually and audibly, where they had not done so before.

Is it just me, or did they get different animators for this half? Characters look slightly different, and I noticed a bit more off-model work, which is not something I usually notice at all.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't notice that in the manga but in the anime he does look a bit more like a twisted Onoda. He is the opposite in every way (size, personality, riding), except he's apparently an otaku (he compares the average riders to Zaku, and realizes that Onoda "isn't a mass-produced type."). This episode added all the scenes with Kyoto Fujimi, or at showed them much earlier (I haven't seen the flashback in the manga). Personally I liked how the manga didn't reveal him until they went to Inter High because it's more dramatic.

I didn't even realize the crazy-looking guy in the first opening was Midosuji until recently.

His riding technique and equipment are also even more absurd than Makishima's.

It also didn't reveal all the Hakogaku riders either.

In the manga, the brand of energy gel Sugimoto handed to Sakamichi was "Miida" was is a parody of Weider, a real brand. In the anime, it was Calorie Mate, which means that they're getting money for product placements. It's also why the vending machine a few episodes ago had real brands. Probably the brand that owns Calorie Mate. All the better, FWIW. I think that's the only way for anime to survive long-term, just like it's the only way the internet has survived.

Of course, Yowamushi Pedal is on air after midnight so any ratings it's getting are from DVR recordings and people with insomnia.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Isn't it rather silly to continue going after they have pushed themselves to the point they can barely walk?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 30