• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls und Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
So what's the harm of painting it pink?

May I remind you of a little thing called camouflage. It is true that in real life planes like the Supermarine Spitfire (and to a lesser extent, even ships) have been painted pink for legitimate camouflage purposes. Against a cloudy sky a pink plane actually is surprisingly difficult for ground observers and other planes at the same or lower flight level to spot. But pink tanks? Hell no. A pink tank might as well have a neon sign above it saying "enemy here, please kill me, okay, thanks".
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Banken wrote:
So what's the harm of painting it pink?

May I remind you of a little thing called camouflage. It is true that in real life planes like the Supermarine Spitfire (and to a lesser extent, even ships) have been painted pink for legitimate camouflage purposes. Against a cloudy sky a pink plane actually is surprisingly difficult for ground observers and other planes at the same or lower flight level to spot. But pink tanks? Hell no. A pink tank might as well have a neon sign above it saying "enemy here, please kill me, okay, thanks".

AFAIK the show isn't about tank combat to the death... so camouflage only matters if you care about winning.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
^
Uh Banken, I don't think you quite understand the reason most of the girls were doing tankery in the first place. The whole point is to win and get money for your club and automatic graduation or something like that, which is why the volleyball club among others joined the tankery club. Some of the girls want to use tankery to become fine young ladies, but most are in it to win it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
the pink doesn't last long anyway
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yup, as soon as the teams see that the paint jobs (and the flags in the case of the StuG III) made them easier to see in the battle against St. Gloriana, they repainted the tanks a more normal color.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
I don't believe that's a very reliable heuristic as "moeblob" is such a convenient and apt term to describe these sort of characters and shows that my first inclination is to believe that even those who have an undying love of these sort of shows use the term.

They don't. Please stop using it.

I do. I think it's a funny word. As much as I love K-On, Girls und Panzer, and other similar shows I'll still use the term moeblob.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Just wanna add that we enjoyed watching GuP with some who were in tanks at Iraq. Learned stuff ya wouldn't see in the anime. Laughing
(Like for example, do ya know that the tank commander leads only up to point of contact? Once the fight starts, it's the gunner who takes lead - he/she commands how to move the tank to give him/her the best shot, while the tank commander mainly communicates with HQ and other commanders to keep things coordinated. If can afford it, tanks typically fight in 2+ group, almost never just 1 - like airfighter with wingmen, can do more maneuvers that way. And anything happens while inside the tank, it'd be lucky if there's no serious injuries at least - even modern tanks don't do much to prevent injuries, and no seatbelt. Tanks often get real hot (and no AC) - girls would be down to their underwear. Wink )
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Tanks often get real hot (and no AC) - girls would be down to their underwear. Wink )

Well then the show missed a golden opportunity.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Tanks often get real hot (and no AC) - girls would be down to their underwear. Wink )

Well then the show missed a golden opportunity.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
yeah, my youngest brother just finished up his AIT for the M1Abrams down at Benning and when he was home for Christmas, he described in great length the cramped fighting compartment and how they practiced rollover drills and everything else about the tank
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5