• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haikyu, Dr. Slump, Bobobo-bo Join J-Stars Victory Vs. Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I interpret it as less an issue of taking things too seriously and more of seeing things through the wrong lens. I usually see complaints being derived from how the person, presumably outside of Japan, views the series' popularity in terms of their region, as opposed to thinking in terms of how did the series fare/how a series is regarded in Japan. Or sometimes just conflate their own personal opinion of it with a more relevant, general reception.
At least, when the complaints aren't backed by more in depth reasoning.
BatmanHG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Hentailovr wrote:
BatmanHG wrote:
Hentailovr wrote:
BatmanHG wrote:
Hentailovr wrote:
BatmanHG wrote:

Could I get a link to the character select screen? Please and thank you.

http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/jump45/pc/mode/mode03.html

Wow from this it looks like 56 playable and 56 support

Not really, as you can see, supports are in the later pages, which makes it pretty obvious that it's the same 14 pages for both and Supports are just on the last few pages.

If you look at the picture all 4 on the right are playable and all 4 on the left are support. if you do 4*14 its 56. that would be 56 just for one side of the image and since you change pages with the same button, one can assume that its 4 supports and 4 playable per page, which would mean 56 of each.

And simple logic tells that there's no way they have revealed less then half of the cast months before the game came out...
The lists on the right and on the left are the same, the reason they are repeated twice is because left is for player 1 to pick and right is for player 2. It's done so one player can flip pages independently of the other player...

You have a good point I didn't think about it that way, well either way there are still a lot of characters so im happy
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
StormVanguard wrote:
I still.. can't believe Allen Walker is support.
And Dr slump etc is playable..
...Why.
DR SLUMP was Toriyama's first big hit series you might think just because it's new D-Gray-man is more popular but Japan still values it's history in anime and manga where many (ignorant) westerns tend to ignore anything that's a bit older let alone things that are much older ....

while some of the older stuff is really nice could have great hand drawn animation and i consider real Otaku to be one that don't limit themselves to the stuff that's new.
For instance i also had many friends that had no idea why Comics and Animation are so popular in Japan they just assumed it kind of has always been that way, why there is an entire history behind it's up and downs and Western influences and so much more i between i consider learing more and more about that stuff to be part of my fandom and enjoyment.

I was just going by power levels for the most part things are reasonably balanced, i honestly wouldn't mind Dr. slump as playable if Allen were. But it's just kind of a slap in the face having it the other way around.. It's like having Gintoki or Kenshin in support rather than playable, it's just a eyesore and depressing.

Unlike most "western" fans i'm aware of every last one of these titles and then some.
On the positive side, being a fan of pretty much everything else i like this list and i will probably still get it.
It's just.. why. Sad
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
If Kenshin were to be support, it would be a slap in the face as it was basically the magazine's ace for a couple of years (between the golden age of DB/Slam Dunk/YYH and One Piece's rise to megastardom), with the sales to match.

D.Gray-man never got near to that level.

And it should be re-emphasized that when you talk about the history of WSJ, Dr. Slump will be far more prominent than D. Gray-man would be.

Edit: Speaking of perceived injustices, my personal complaint will always be Medaka Box's inclusion. Awful ratings, awful sales for a series that managed to survive as long as it has. It just was never a hit by any objective definition. I can only possibly see its inclusion as being part of WSJ's present (as I assume the game had to have already started development by early last year), combined with Nisio's name.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
If you think that's an Medaka Box's inclusion is an injustice, then Boa Hancock's inclusion is travesty. Out of all the allies Monkey D. Luffy has earned over the years they had to choose the glorified cheerleader and fangirl of One Piece. If you had to choose a character from One Piece that isn't a member of the Straw Hats, why couldn't it be Ace? He has a way deeper connection and relationship with Luffy and as far as the plot goes, he is much more significant and influential.

I swear, the inclusion of Boa Hancock and Medaka was just for the sake of throwing a bone to the female players of the game.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I was more perplexed than bothered by Boa Hancock. One Piece is clearly big enough to get multiple playable characters, so the question was always who. My personal expectation was someone from the main crew, like Zoro.

I actually don't think that Medaka Box's inclusion is gender motivated. The fanbase for that series doesn't match up.
Here's a survey dated late 2012 by Nikkei Shinbun on the gender splits of the readership of WSJ series at the time.
Medaka Box's fandom was 74.9% male.
Something like Haikyuu!! (66.8%) or Gintama (63.8%) would probably be more appealing to females. Or Reborn!'s 62.4%.

(of course, Gintama is a strong enough series to deserve inclusion anyway... and Haikyuu!! is a series doing well in the present, with the potential, and expectation, to keep growing in the future)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine how degrading it would be if Kenshiro lost to Arale-Chan. Confused And now, that seems like a major possibility.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
I still.. can't believe Allen Walker is support.
And Dr slump etc is playable..
...Why.

Dr. Slump was a huge success in japan.

i really, really want hanamichi sakuragi from slam dunk in this as a playable character - even a support would be awesome at this point.

all the older series getting new characters thrown gives me hope. there should honestly be at least one character from the top ten most popular series in shonen jump's history in this game.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I can't imagine how degrading it would be if Kenshiro lost to Arale-Chan. Confused And now, that seems like a major possibility.

It's a video game. Every playable character can defeat each other. No matter how degrading one might think it is.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
It's a video game. Every playable character can defeat each other. No matter how degrading one might think it is.

I know but still... Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3