• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Barefoot Gen Manga Pulled from Izumisano City's School Library Shelves

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they are just going to slap a sticker somewhere near the front of the book with text advising the reader to keep in mind the time period when it was written, and the period it was written about and what that entails, and then return the copies.

I remember when I read the sci-fi novel "Earth Abides" when I was younger, I was rather surprised by the section when the main character encounters an African-American family that has survived. I was clued in as to why when the novel later made a reference to a single lane bridge across the river to Memphis. At that point I checked the copyright date: 1949.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
So is this actually being pulled because of the depiction of beggars, or is that cover for a right-wing agenda like the other cases?

Yeah I'm worried about the latter, I'm wondering what's going on in Japan, it looks like Japan is doing some revision on their history or what.

enurtsol wrote:
Japan has been having a stark rise in nationalists since Abe was elected Prime Minister. Just take a look at what's happening at the NHK headquarters with the new appointees.

Yeah I noticed this too, I'm a little worried about what's going on in Japan. There's been cases of anti-Korean sentiment/xenophobia in Japan done by the Zaitokukai recently which US State Department has noted on it's human right report about Japan. Also the current Abe administration reviewing the 1993 Kono Statement kinda spook and scare Japan's neighbor that include the US because of possible denial and covering up the Comfort women controversy. Turns out that Japan is not going to revise or denied the statement, but seeing this today kinda scare me. At least there are people in Japan that know the truth. But I'm worried what historical view Japan is expressing after Abe took office for the 2nd time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
This sounds a lot like when The Adventures of Huck Finn was pretty much banned from schools and public libraries because of its use of the word [slur], and subsequent printings of the book no longer used the name [slur] Jim, but rather just called him Jim. I guess I'm curious as to what these offensive terms for beggars and unemployed people are that has them all up in arms over this manga series though.

Kinda, but not quite. By the sounds of it they aren't censoring the books, just holding them until they can figure out how to educate students about them better and then returning them. It's probably a political move done to get favor from some group, but it's hardly as extreme as destroying the books and replacing them with censored versions.

What I find hilarious is that they will be making a list of all the bad words and distributing it to the students. I'm sure the parents will be very happy to find their kids with a list of derogatory terms from the school. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A total of 128 copies of the manga were removed by the municipal board of education. ... The copies are supposed to be returned on Thursday after the education board "makes preparations to provide guidance to students regarding the problematic expressions" in the work.

The board plans to distribute a list of unacceptable phrases used in the manga to students.

(Emphasis added.)

It doesn't seem like censorship if they're going to provide students with a list of objectionable terms. Perhaps an analogy would be like if US publishers didn't remove "[slur]" from the printed text of Huck Finn, but instead added an statement at the front of the book saying "Editorial Note: We want you to know that this is a bad word."

I cannot comment on whether this resolution is the kind the mayor wanted to achieve, but the education board seems to be using the opportunity to provide some actual education.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
There's probably a reason OP pretty much appeared from nowhere to comment on this thread.

Yes, and that reason is Nationalism.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Without getting into the whole WWII revisionism thing, it seems the school---as usual---is just being too politically correct, rather than any ulterior motive.

Poor Barefoot Gen has a rough time of it in Japanese schools, it seems. Then again, I really don't think I'd let my kid read something like that until they were teenagers.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
This is what I see in the article:
The mayor of one city had the books removed from the elementary and middle schools in that city.
The books are being returned because the principals of the schools protested.
The schools will provide educational material that tells the students what parts of the book were considered to be problematic.
Previous attempts to remove the book from other schools had failed because the schools did not want them to be removed.

The Japanese government was not involved at all.
There was no censorship or attempt at censorship.
Nobody tried to revise any history.

doomydoomdoom wrote:
it seems the school---as usual---is just being too politically correct

It was not the school. The mayor of the city had the books removed from the schools.
The books are being returned because the schools want them back.

EDIT:
Quote:
Then again, I really don't think I'd let my kid read something like that until they were teenagers.

That might be what that mayor was thinking.
He did not have the books removed from the high schools, only the elementary and middle schools.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
What is with the United States and Japan trying to cover up history?I mean we all know some of history is a lie but why try to hide the facts that everyone is already aware of? It reminds of That politically correct version of Tom Sawer i read 10 years ago in the 5th grade. Injun Joe was changed to Native American joe and N-word Jim was just changed to jim. Ofcourse i wasnt aware the book had been altered until i looked up a summary of the book on the internet.

What would be the point of remembering the past, if all we do is repeat the same crap each decade?
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Thanks for the info, revolutionotaku!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2