• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
So, are we getting more takes on JoJo or was Hope the only one who watched it (and liked the first season)?
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
So, are we getting more takes on JoJo or was Hope the only one who watched it (and liked the first season)?

I was wondering that as well. It would be nice to hear some more opinions on it.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
some of these i've been on the fence about, but I guess i'll see them next week since i stopped my subscription. Kinda interested in WIXOSS, i didn't really realize it was magical girl from the description. Also curious about Haikyuu and Captain Earth now too.

I know they don't have a legal streaming options yet, but will there be reviews for Lady Jewelpet or the new Keroro short anime?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
On another topic, I seem to agree 100% with Carl on his take on the two sports anime today. Haikyuu!! (gesundheit!) was less inspiring to me because of the shortcuts it took, but I really liked Baby Steps. It had what the other was missing, character building and teaching the sport from the ground up.

Baby Steps reminds me a lot of Yowapeda in that you have a quirky guy you don't really see as a sporty type getting into a sport he needs to learn everything about, and in doing so lets the audience either learn it with him or remember what it was like to. His character design is a little weird, but the MCs fixation on analyzing data will make for some interesting observations on the sport. He's kind of what I wish Inui from PoT would have been. This was Inui's schtick, but we never learned anything from him. Here I hope we learn plenty, and see games based upon strategy rather than super silly techniques.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Regarding Rebecca's question about the English title of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou there's actually a double pun in the title. The first is like you mentioned, "manors = manners" with the second being "hostel = hostile". So it could be The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior" or The Kawai Complex Guide to Manners and Hostile Behavior.

The original Japanese title had a much more simple pun, the title could also be read as meaning "We are all pitiful"

Thank you! It was driving me crazy, probably because that's a mistake I correct a lot in student papers. I kind of wish they'd gone with "Manners and Hostile Behavior;" I think it would have relayed the pun better. Oh well.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Kinda interested in WIXOSS, i didn't really realize it was magical girl from the description.

It's not magical girl by any meaningful use of the term.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Not sure that has anything to with with racist. US movies have one single guy take on Russia. Chinese movies have one few guys take on entire Japanese army. Even though everybody knows Japanese pretty much body China in WWII, China changed the history to make them win most of the battles.

I'm not sure why Americans are so sensitive about racist. A NFL player made some Asia comment that Asians don't felt like it was racist, but white think it's racist. /facepalm

I would consider those movies/games/tv shows to be just as bad. Just because America releases the Call of Duty games doesnt mean we cant complain about Mahouka. I have never read the Turner Diaries, watched any version of Red Dawn for a reason, I am not interested in those types of stories. We make the world worse when we dehumanize people in entertainment.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
'm not sure why Americans are so sensitive about racist. A NFL player made some Asia comment that Asians don't felt like it was racist, but white think it's racist. /facepalm

Yeah that's... kinda funny Most people who complain about sexism against women are men, most who complain about racism against minories are white. While they may think they're doing good, the unfortunate, underlying connotation is that they're so vocal about the issues because 'only us straight white men can protect these minorities!' and in turn it unfortunately implies the people they're defending are helpless and can't speak for themselves so they need defending that only a straight white man can provide. Kinda funny how that view seems more sexist/racist/whatever than the things they're complaining about is. Even worse if they go down that 'they're too brainwashed to realize it's bad' route.

kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I know they don't have a legal streaming options yet, but will there be reviews for Lady Jewelpet or the new Keroro short anime?

ANN doesn't cover things that don't have legal options IIRC so I doubt it. and Jewelpet and Keroro wont get legal options probably.

If you want my opinion on them.

Jewelpet
Unlike the previous few series we're back to a bit more traditional Twinkle-era Jewelpet. At least as far as the first episode is concerned The comedy is less prominent which may or may not turn fans off if they're used to Sunshine-era Jewelpet. This might change later on but as of right now it's more reserved and shoujo-y. The art is beautiful, as is the music. Character designs this time around are pretty unique and nice and I like them more than the designs in Happiness. Also shocking is despite it only being the first episode we already got spoiler[kissing scenes].

All in all, it's a bit more traditional than the previous few series, but is pulling out some unique things from its sleeves so I'm interested to see where it goes from here. Also I laughed when the ending song was the opening song from Happiness. I love that song so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29aabm1balU

Who doesn't love that song?

Keroro

Not much to say about this one. It's Keroro. A remake/reboot more specifically so if you never watched the previous series it's fine. It's one of those short 5 minute anime. Comedy is a mix of situational/fanservicy/otaku humor. Keroro still likes building Gunpla and stuff. If you've never seen Keroro it's worth checking out, though hunt down the older series too.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ZodiacBeast wrote:
I had forgotten that there was some sort of uproar about the politics in Mahouka. Weren't Koreans also upset about their portrayals? I don't plan to watch it, not because of all the hate it's getting, I'm just not interested in it at the moment.

The only things I'm watching at the moment are Jojo and Puchimas.

I dunno about Koreans, but the main character of Mahouka nukes China with a bomb like 20 times bigger than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs combined because the author is racist piece of shit.

Mahouka is The Turner Diaries-level of racist.

1) he doesn't nuke china, the place nuked is actually in korea. and according to the author, it was purely a military base that was nuked. not any civilians.
2) he nuked a military operation that was advancing to invade japan. from the same union of countries that had already tried to invade japan before. twice. self defense is bad?

the author is racist because of this? then is every author who has ever written anything with any country outside of there own as the bad guy racist? that makes almost every author out there racist. Americans are racist against Russians and the English.
the Chinese are racist against the Japanese. the creators of guilty crown and code geass are racist against americans/english...
etc etc etc

everyone is racist according to you.

Last edited by Instinctz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger really hooked me into trying out Brynhildr in the Darkness, cause man, oh, man, I love a well made cheese and bean burrito.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Is it okay for people to discuss the future events without even putting spoiler tags?Make a manga thread and talk all you want,but don't bring your shit over here and spoil me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode of The World is Still Beautiful a lot more than I expected to, though with the set up, I can tell that this could go very wrong in the future. And was that the voice of Gluttony from FMA as one of the kidnapper goons?

Captain Earth is... interesting. But that first episode is a bit jumbled and moves at an uncomfortable break neck speed that doesn't allow the elements to be introduced in any reasonable fashion. It just kind of sprays you with concepts and characters. Still, I'll give it a shot, Bones rarely disappoints me.

Is anybody going to review the first new episode of the Buu arc of DB(Z) Kai, or is that just "Yeah... sure is DBZ"? It's pretty well-covered territory.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

kawaiibunny3 wrote:

ANN doesn't cover things that don't have legal options IIRC so I doubt it. and Jewelpet and Keroro wont get legal options probably.

If you want my opinion on them.

Jewelpet

Keroro

makes sense.

I actually haven't seen much of previous Jewelpet seasons, but something about the designs and the synopsis this year made me wanna check it out, and I'm glad i did. It's pretty much as shoujo-esque as I wanted. (if that makes sense)

and Keroro Gunso is one of my favorite series (the manga mostly, but the previous TV series was nice too) so i was looking forward to this reboot. I hope it gets to some newer material soon, like the Shin-Keroro character and so forth.

I really just wanted to see what other people thought of them too tbh ^^; The fanbase for these shows are slim, so it'd be nice to get more discussion going.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Yeah that's... kinda funny Most people who complain about sexism against women are men, most who complain about racism against minories are white.

UGH.

MOD NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT RACISM OR SEXISM. THAT LINE OF CONVERSATION ENDS RIGHT HERE. ANYONE BRINGING IT UP BEYOND THIS POINT IN THIS THREAD WILL BE BANNED IMMEDIATELY.
Blue21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote

I recall that someone covered Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream back in 2010 (I think), and last year everybody previewed Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 50