• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star Anime; Strike Witches, Steins;Gate Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
LightOtaku wrote:
I'm super happy about Lucky Star, but still no Hyouka... Sad

No Free! either....

Not a fan of this anime (due to its questionable genre), but Funi has already licensed its 2nd season, so I'm sure Funi will license the 1st season soon.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Sure did take awhile for the S;G movie, then again anyone who wanted it would have already imported the dvd or bluray since it had subs.

Hopefully they don't mess up the dub script like they did with the t.v series.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Funi will dub the Lucky Star ova? That would be awesome....I'm not expecting it though :3
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
I wonder if I should hold out and wait for Funi's version of the Steins;Gate movie, or go for the LE import. I doubt Funi will do anything special with it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Detrimont wrote:
still no hyouka Sad

Seriously!!!! I honestly have given hope that Hyouka will ever get a NA release. It is probably my favorite KyoAni show too, so that sucks. If by some miracle it does though, I will be super thrilled.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
good lord funi went all out this year at otakon huh..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
It's great that they got the rights to Haruhi and Lucky Star! It's good that they'll be back in print in the future and if they do a nice enough release of Lucky Star, I may even double dip. But I'm most excited about Funi licensing D-Frag! to be honest. That show was hilarious.
LightOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
LightOtaku wrote:
still no Hyouka... Sad

I've almost given up on seeing someone bring it over to the west. Don't think it ever gained much attention while airing, so I have doubts that many would see it as a worthwhile series. Sad, as I really enjoyed it.

Guess I'll still hold onto what little hope I have for it. Would be nice to see the last novel see an anime adaption too. But, I know that'd be asking for too much.

I honestly don't know why it's so underrated. I'm a big KyoAni fan and I would easily say Hyouka is their best work.

As much as I would like more to be adapted, I doubt it's going to happen since it didn't really sell that well in Japan, apparently only a 'moderate' success.

Looking through the comments though i'm glad there are still others waiting for it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
I have to assume this means Haruhi will disappear from Crunchyroll before long.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
Yay more awful quality encodes of shows I would otherwise pre-order on Blu-Ray instantly.
FUNimation is fine with the video quality on the encodes of theatrical films (like Rebuild, Summer Wars, Wolf Children etc.) so I hope Strike Witches and Steins; (though I already have that one from Japan) are given film treatment and not the awful TV series treatment (especially after I saw tons of praise for their Steins;Gate release quality which is one of the worst BDs I've ever seen).
The Strike Witches film is fantastic and I'd love for it to look good on Blu-Ray in English so fingers crossed Razz

The same applies for if they get The Disappearance to go alongside Haruhi.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

the-antihero wrote:
Dammit! I was hoping Gundam would be on the list!

That seems like a long shot. I have heard that Sunrise/Bandai wants the company that licenses Gundam to acquire all the series, OVA's and movies. I doubt a single R1 company will pay to license the whole catalog of a franchise that is not that popular over here.

I keep hearing that, but most Gundam series were among the shows that topped the Cartoon Network ratings at the time of their airings. Especially Wing, SEED and 00. How is Gundam not popular in the USA, especially Wing? Sounds a bit pessimistic to me.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Very happy about the movies, but also very happy for Freezing Vibration. I know Freezing in a niche and its anime adaptation has been divergent, but it is still a pretty nice watch for me. Would love to own it in disc form.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Detrimont wrote:
still no hyouka Sad

Seriously!!!! I honestly have given hope that Hyouka will ever get a NA release. It is probably my favorite KyoAni show too, so that sucks. If by some miracle it does though, I will be super thrilled.

I think it is ridiculous that it hasn't been licensed. It's Kyoani so it will sell and it actually got pretty good reviews, way better than Beyond the Boundary which already has been licensed.

It just really annoys me that certain series will get licensed because of their genre no matter the fact they weren't very popular and yet other series aren't given a chance because of their genre.

Sure not everything is going to go mainstream but that doesn't mean it won't sell just as much as the generic fanservice, horror or action series that ALWAYS gets picked up.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

I keep hearing that, but most Gundam series were among the shows that topped the Cartoon Network ratings at the time of their airings. Especially Wing, SEED and 00. How is Gundam not popular in the USA, especially Wing? Sounds a bit pessimistic to me.

Wing was fine.

Seed and 00 on the other hand? Seed got horrible ratings due to the fact that CN kept moving it around and editing it.

And 00 NEVER aired on CN. It never aired in Canada too, you know, where the voice cast is from. It only aired SyFy (on the short-lived anime block) and was absolutely butchered in terms of scenes being cut for commercials.
Rainrix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Still don't understand what the big deal is about Haruhi.

I watched it and it's just another silly high school rom com with an annoying girl, an emotionless girl and a totally ineffectual guy.

Same thing with Hatsune Miku...she's just a girl with green hair who sings songs, what's the big deal?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8