• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toshio Okada Rips Apart Gundam Reconguista

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:

Maybe if you want people to not say mean things about your beloved Tomino you could not be completely ignorant and insulting about Okada? His accomplishments since leaving Gainax hold up just fine .....

What accomplishments? Writing a diet book? Hating on modern otaku because they don't fit the same mold as they did twenty years ago? The man's not even in the same league. He lives on the notoriety gained from a self-bestowed title and his involvement in some classic anime, all of which are over two decades old.

Tomino may be a crotchety old man who hates everything, but he's got far more experience and done far more for anime than Okada has.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

Tomino may be a crotchety old man who hates everything, but he's got far more experience and done far more for anime than Okada has.

And yet there are film school rejects who've done nothing at all and make a living from criticizing their betters on Youtube and Blip. Imagine that.

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

It's a combination of everything great about Tomino in one work. It has a well-built world, is thoughtful and intricate, and has a compelling narrative.

Would you mind explaining those points?

The show is very imaginative with the Capital Tower, the solar batteries, and the re-establishment of Earth powers after the UC timeline and an interesting, curious main character who isn't a beleaguered mope, a stoic killing machine, or a messianic empath. I'm enjoying the plot with the unease between the nations, the energy crisis, and the space pirates, and I even quite enjoy the unique aesthetics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
checarlos87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Recongista, but from the way Okada talks about Recongista, you'd think Gunbuster is the easiest anime to follow.

Gunbuster is a wild roller coaster ride full of now-obscure references and inconsistent plot advancement. There's one episode where everything that happens is allegedly understood with complex Relativity principles that are in no way explained in the show (except for a Anno Hideaki-esque flashing of random physics equation with an ominous voice-over at the beginning of the episode).

Also, Okada is the guy who pronounced otaku culture dead back in 2008, so he's clearly biased against any new anime anyway.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
If you are current with the show a big reveal should be coming soon about spoiler[ the origin of G-Self and the intended purpose of the Capital Army.] All of the players have yet to be reviled.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dude shouldn't complain about stories with horrible narrative structures after giving us Wings of Honneamise. Rolling Eyes

Wings of Rean, Wings of Rean my friend. Not Wings of Honneamise. Laughing
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
I like Gundam a lot but I hate Tomino. Everything he "directs" is usually shit, stupid, and incoherent. It's pretty nice seeing someone tear into him. I still remember zeta gundam. Characters falling in love every other scene, a story that made little sense and had no setup(I don't care if it's a sequel)....utter nonsense. I'm positive the clowns who praise Tomino, do it out of nostalgia and have no idea what good writing is.

Nyren wrote:

My favorite Gundam series to date is Gundam 00.

*high fives*

Now now, just because Zeta Gundam is shit in terms of character development doesn't mean all his shows are like that. Ideon was structured much better than Zeta Gundam. As his shows from the seventies. Tomino during the mid eighties up until the mid nineties was depressive and he expressed that depression in his anime series. He has had up and downs. Turn A is certainly not shit by any means and neither is Gundam no Reconguista as far as the 4th episode. Your rant smells of ignorance about Tomino's works.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
No idea who that is, but glad someone is stepping up and pointing out the ridiculous flaw in it. Watching it I got the feeling that the director was given full power and that no editor was allow to look over it and bring in the much needed changes. So we're left with a non sensical mess.

The show looks good most of the time when, at least when stuff aren't moving and mech aren't on screen (still remember the god awful punch flurry at the end of ep 2, and the end credit which look cheaper than what even the worse AMV does), the mech themselves go from merely okay to awful. The world looks interesting (lush first, weird walker, colorful building).

Ultimately the story, plot and dialogue just complexity fail, nothing makes sense,spoiler[ the pirate lady is just left to wander around the capital city and the pirate have to resort to piracy when they can defeat the entire capital defense with just one unit]. I don't know if it's the fault of editing, but scene don't flow from one to another, you get dropped in the middle of an arc seemingly already in progress and then leave before it's actually over just to start something completely different. No reason is even alluded to for why the character are in certain place doing certain action, they just are doing it for no apparent reason.
levonr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I always found most Gundam to start out rough. So I'm sticking with watching it.

"If there’s one thing I’ve learned from Gundam series is that it’s never best to judge it until much farther into the series." - Chris Beveridge

Last edited by levonr on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Ultimately the story, plot and dialogue just complexity fail, nothing makes sense,spoiler[ the pirate lady is just left to wander around the capital city and the pirate have to resort to piracy when they can defeat the entire capital defense with just one unit]. I don't know if it's the fault of editing, but scene don't flow from one to another, you get dropped in the middle of an arc seemingly already in progress and then leave before it's actually over just to start something completely different. No reason is even alluded to for why the character are in certain place doing certain action, they just are doing it for no apparent reason.

Wow people really don't pay attention at all
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any problem with Mr. Okada saying bad things about Gundam: Reconguista in G. I usually like when someone says something bad about something I like; it engages me and forces me to think.

My issue with the comments is that he doesn't really say anything of substance. Unless the translation omits something, he just mentions one sentence worth of one word issues and says he isn't watching. I kind of expect this kind of simplistic bashing from Tomino - he is wonderfully curmudgeonly - but if someone of his caliber is going to slam a series, I'd prefer arguments with some meat on their bones since I know he could do so.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
checarlos87 wrote:
Gunbuster is a wild roller coaster ride full of now-obscure references and inconsistent plot advancement. There's one episode where everything that happens is allegedly understood with complex Relativity principles that are in no way explained in the show (except for a Anno Hideaki-esque flashing of random physics equation with an ominous voice-over at the beginning of the episode).

Perhaps you should have studied more?

I'm not watching Greco, since Sunrise can't be assed to stream anything on a reasonable platform, and it sounds like I won't be missing much of value.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:

I did pay attention to the time spoiler[where one mech was almost able to overtake the entire capital army by himself and where the female pirate was drinking tea with the president or whoever that was and was then sub sequentially left to wander the base essentially unattended. Until she eventually took control of her mech with no opposition]

Any particular point I should have picked up?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It isn't hard to figure out what's going on, but a lot of the character's thoughts and actions are just plain random and don't make logical sense...but this was true of Gundam ZZ and Victory too, so it's not like it's a new thing.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

I did pay attention to the time spoiler[where one mech was almost able to overtake the entire capital army by himself and where the female pirate was drinking tea with the president or whoever that was and was then sub sequentially left to wander the base essentially unattended. Until she eventually took control of her mech with no opposition]

Any particular point I should have picked up?

What? He's actually a colonel in the Capital Guard Intelligence Division.
Also she wasn't left to wander the base; Montero's pilot specifically asked for the return of both Aida AND the G-Self, which coincidentally no one but Bellri & the two girls could activate at all, making it a huge block of nothing for the time being. Rusita clearly wants to know more about the machine and making such a move allows for the next development to occur; he also made sure to talk with the princess so she has second thoughts about the kind of people she's supposedly fighting against.

I'm starting to think it IS true that people do not pay attention unless the plot is like announced through HUGE billboards and repeated three times during each episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7