• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Gets TV Anime Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I watched or read Rumiko Takahashi's work, so I'm on board for this!
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So "Rin-Ne" finally does something original? I hope so. Takahashi was shaping up to be the Seth MacFarlane of manga, with repeating tropes and using abuse and sexual crimes as comedy.
Doctorhauser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Animeking1108, as was mentioned before, her "Mermaid Saga" had already been doing "something original". And "One Pound Gospel". And in most of her most "serious" works.

Heck, even "Lum" (Urusei Yatsura) had a twist to the formula, since the main character was a veritable pervert and proud of it Razz.

Takahashi isn't just the gal who made "Ranma" and "InuYasha" anyway, those are just her longest works, and I wouldn't say they're her best; just the most famous in the West Wink
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Doctorhauser wrote:

Heck, even "Lum" (Urusei Yatsura) had a twist to the formula, since the main character was a veritable pervert and proud of it Razz.

From what I understand UY (which as I mentioned previously I have not read) was considered very original at the time it was written.

Maison Ikkoku is in my opinion one of the best romantic comedies and the fact that it was about adult characters also made it feel different from the norm.

Honestly I feel those who harp on Takahashi for being unoriginal and always repeating the same things actually know very little about her work.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
So "Rin-Ne" finally does something original? I hope so. Takahashi was shaping up to be the Seth MacFarlane of manga, with repeating tropes and using abuse and sexual crimes as comedy.

Doctorhauser wrote:

(Yeah, these would be the same people who accuse Pepe LePew of "sexual harassment", without realizing that Pepe and Ataru Moroboshi share one honorable trait in common:
They never give up, casting aside all possible self-doubt in the face of superhuman obstacles or adversity. Smile )

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

From what I understand UY (which as I mentioned previously I have not read) was considered very original at the time it was written.

It was original, but if you want to understand the anime pop-cultural obsession with UY, don't bother with the manga--
Watch the anime version that Mamoru Oshii (back before he became a pretentious artsy pest) took into wild new amped-up directions that made the manga look fairly jokey, scattershot and Rumiko-androphobic by comparison.
In fact, most who recommend watching the UY anime suggest skipping with the first 1-24 season completely, since that was the season they did try sticking closely to the manga, and it was painfully unfunny.

Quote:
Honestly I feel those who harp on Takahashi for being unoriginal and always repeating the same things actually know very little about her work.

At the risk of digging up the "Spot the UY characters" discussions from the Viz Ranma 1/2 threads:

Except for the "season-ticket holders" who've memorized her first three classics, and can pick out the inspirations for her new characters by name--
After he took the sandwich, I kept expecting Sakura to tell Rin "Sit, boy!"

(Actually, I don't really know that much about IY, so I immediately associated Rokumon with that little bat from the "Dracula" UY episode.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

with repeating tropes and using abuse and sexual crimes as comedy.

Who doesn't?! Laughing
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am a bit surprised people look with good eyes Viz picking up this anime only a few days after learning of the botched Sailor Moon release. I guess people really enjoy Viz's screwed discs.

So they made one mistake with their Blu Rays. You make it sound like it's a recurring thing.

It IS a recurring thing. The pillarboxing on DVDs? They did it with Ranma before...

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Then we look at Viz's RANMA releases and see how amazing they can be (plus there would be no remastering work necessary with Rin-Ne). Also not everyone has serious problems with Viz's SM release...

But they aren't. The video is great but that's only because it's an untouched copy from already released japanese sets... but the japanese audio isn't - it's still the same low-quality track from first release!

Also SM problems aren't a subjective thing. You can ignore them if you want but they still are there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3