• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ninja Slayer From Animation Anime's 1st Trailer Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
I was expecting this to be a bit more dark and edgy looking in the art style, but it turns out it's uber colorful like Space Dandy but with little of the polish Space Dandy had.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks great it looks like something out of the 80s or 90s
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
From what I can gather this looks like it'll be pure crazy. I like pure crazy so while keeping in mind what I know of trigger sofar I'll be looking forward to it!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Concept looks interesting. Art style is..acquired taste i think. Still art looks good but animation isn't what I would think it be. Looks like old school 1990s anime art style on not so good side so far.

Busty girls part i guess is in there lure all demographic groups to watch it. Rolling Eyes

I don't think they need do that all the time, makes bit interesting when T&A isn't all over the place.

Well there wasn't really any animation there, it was mostly people standing while the camera panned across them. Though given that this is Trigger (Gainax version 2) I'm betting this will have very uneven animation quality.

As for the art style, going back to who they are again, this will probably be another tribute to some old thing, or things that they liked when they were younger.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
My interest was piqued throughout the video, until the girls showed up towards the end with fanservice and modern LN-adaptation sort of art-styling. I don't think this looks like the 80's or 90's at all, since the few character images in the video carry a very modern artistic sensibility to them, so I'm colored a bit disappointed. Hopefully more videos and artwork will surface to give more context and a better fleshed out sense for what they're aiming for, I'm holding my breath.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks better then the manga already but Trigger´s writing has not quite hit me jet. Please be good and fill my Afro Samurai hole in my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
All over my face and mouth.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
So neon. Lessee if Japan can do sarcasm.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The character designs look to ANIMU MOE crap compared to the awesome novel designs Sad

It's nothing like the NInja Slayer Animation posters which was closer to the novel's style, that dissapointed me a lot Sad

Still looking forward, since the novels sure as hell are a fun read. Curious how they do it since 40% of the fun is that is always playing with words, the novels. The other 50% for the creative villain use (think the 8 Devils of Kimon x250, and also really creative). and the leftovers are for Ninja Slayer being an enigmatic deus ex machina of death.

This is how it's supposed to look:

The color use is good, cyberpunk style... it needs neon. But the character designs are ruined...

And it's nothing like this promo art, in which the character designs match the ones in the books (they seem to deviate with entire new designs in this clip):
bastek66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Heh, interesting how they put it in 4:3. I wonder what the purpose of that is.

Flashback, duh.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
loempiavreter wrote:
The character designs look to ANIMU MOE crap compared to the awesome novel designs Sad

It's nothing like the NInja Slayer Animation posters which was closer to the novel's style, that dissapointed me a lot Sad

Still looking forward, since the novels sure as hell are a fun read. Curious how they do it since 40% of the fun is that is always playing with words, the novels. The other 50% for the creative villain use (think the 8 Devils of Kimon x250, and also really creative). and the leftovers are for Ninja Slayer being an enigmatic deus ex machina of death.

This is how it's supposed to look:

Notice the female characters:

And notice that nothing in your pics except for the original moe girl above shows them unmasked, or regular civilian non-villains or family members that the video shows.
Gonstead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Concept looks interesting. Art style is..acquired taste i think. Still art looks good but animation isn't what I would think it be. Looks like old school 1990s anime art style on not so good side so far.

If you know the full story of the production behind Ninja Slayer, I think that would actually work to the anime's advantage.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
From what I can gather this looks like it'll be pure crazy. I like pure crazy so while keeping in mind what I know of trigger sofar I'll be looking forward to it!

This is what I'm expecting Smile
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks dated, but I am good with that. I kind of dig it. The colors are amazing as well. I'm all over that.

Anyway, I'm going to check it out, but only for the style. The plot doesn't really interest me, and some scenes make me a little eh towards the series, but we'll see. I was eh towards When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace, but I'm currently really enjoying it so far.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
And notice that nothing in your pics except for the original moe girl above shows them unmasked, or regular civilian non-villains or family members that the video shows.

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? When so much of the production art for both the anime and the novels look to feature maybe 1 possibly moe-looking girl, it's all the more striking when the very first trailer shows what looks to be around 3 or so moe-ish looking girls, despite the vast cast of other characters and drastically grittier style shown up until this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4