• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm not adding bylines to the already-limited frontpage text space as an early warning system for opinions you might not agree with.

For the record, I often disagree with Rebecca, Bamboo, Hope and others, but I respect their opinions. I dislike Rose's reviews for shows she's CLEARLY disinterested in because they are LAZY to the point that she has on occasion even gotten elements of the episode WRONG. That wouldn't matter to me if someone asked and she blithely responded with some half@$$ response, but in the review itself she sometimes points out an INCORRECT element and tries to make a point about it.

You lumped me in with this too. Am I lazy and getting things INCORRECT? I'd like to know where.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I preferred this series to Kill la Kill by a mile.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You lumped me in with this too. Am I lazy and getting things INCORRECT? I'd like to know where.

I disagree with your reviews for reasons of tone. I actually almost added you to the list of people who I feel (much as you dislike shows) at least do them the service of giving them your attention. I hated Vivdred Operation and dropped it after a single episode, but felt compelled to argue over it (don't remember if I actually did) simply because of HOW you ripped it. I prefer to avoid your reviews to keep from doing that, I know I don't read you entirely "fairly" anymore, so I don't WANT to go looking for provocation. I don't think you respect the material of certain shows, you CLEARLY don't LIKE certain shows, but you at least give it your full attention when going through it.

I think you're like Jon Stewart in that your mocking riles supporters of the material, but is at LEAST based on research/effort.

EDIT: I said yours and Rose's reviews differ in a very "specific" way that I prefer to avoid. on re-read I get that I worded that badly in that it sounds like your reviews differ in the SAME way. That is not in fact my opinion, I merely feel that both of your reviews differ (from other ANN reviewers) in a way I prefer not to read, but distinct from each other. Sorry for the confusion on that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I hated Vivdred Operation and dropped it after a single episode, but felt compelled to argue over it (don't remember if I actually did) simply because of HOW you ripped it.

I get what you're saying, and I'll ask Rose to be a little more careful with her fact-checking, but so long as we're talking about getting things right, I've never written a single word about Vividred Operation, period. Not for this site or anywhere else.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I get what you're saying, and I'll ask Rose to be a little more careful with her fact-checking, but so long as we're talking about getting things right, I've never written a single word about Vividred Operation, period. Not for this site or anywhere else.

I could've sworn it was Vividred, but looking at the images it isn't that. Some other show relegated to the dustbin of history this conversation likely proving it deserving of the scorn you gave it. Laughing

(Seriously, some anime about girls defending the city from some invaders, the distinguishing point in my head is that the "Captain" of their team was a loli, but really the whole thing WAS trash and I don't remember what it was and a quick run through the preview guides didn't help)

EDIT: apparently I was thinking of "Date A Live"
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
For the record, it's a little weird to hear I have a record of being "disinterested" in things. Supernatural Battles is actually the first thing I think I've reviewed for the site that I didn't really like. And I certainly didn't come into it expecting that.

I've been lucky in that I keep ending up with shows I really, really enjoy for my streaming reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, given that a reviewer shouldn't have a stake in the show's financial success, one would hope you were disinterested. Wouldn't want Masahiko Ohtsuka or Kota Nozomi to be writing a review for the show.

And yes, Date A Live was pretty damn lousy. Just reread Zac's preview and I can't say i see anything objectionable in it. I can see how it would get a strong reaction, but it's not trying to act otherwise. Also, hey, Vividred was all right. The characterisation improved later in the show, and I've seen shows do the whole POWER OF FRIENDSHIP thing a lot worse.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Eh, I think the allusions and shoutouts to Kill la Kill weren't an issue. They certainly didn't bother me.

As for the real problems? Well, first of all, Andou was not nice or sympathetic, he was a huge jerk. Hatoko took him to task in her rant but nothing happened to him, he got no development. It was really annoying to see the show claim to deconstruct the chuunibyou mindset and take such people to task for being posers, while in fact it really wanted to make chuunibyou's out to be cool. For example, Andou talks smoother than a gigolo, and in the pool episode his chuuni knowledge wins him not only the contest but also the heart of Chifuyu's friend.

But the real issue with the show is that it teases an overarching plot without ever delivering on it. Only three episodes of the twelve have anything to do with the plot, and that includes the first one which is marginal at best. In the mid-season one, heaps of characters get introduced only for them to do nothing at all, and sub-plots are hinted at without ever being realised. Everything would have been fine had the show been two cours long or had just stuck to its knitting and kept the focus on the literature club. What we got however was a one cour show that was incompetently plotted. Ouch.

This is such a load of bs I can't even begin where to explain. Andou is a jerk? I think its just the opposite. You have this girl who likes the guy, not necessarily the other way around, so she sticks to him and tries to "tolerate" him, and in the end she can't stand and it and rips him for being true to himself. He is who he is, a guy who just loves playing the superhero in his mind, and if she can't handle it that is her problem. I don't know how that makes him a jerk, if anything that makes her a pretty miserable person for judging others.

A chunnibyou just like an otaku is an easy target, like Andou there really cause no harm to anyone, are at best an amusing characters and at worst a little annoying, but society views them as being acceptable to berate. Make Andou something else, be it racial/sexual/etc and her rant goes from being lauded to appalling.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
This was a really good series, sadly limited by a short run and lack of conclusion(so far). I must say Hatoko's dressing down of Andou(is it wrong I can't associate the name with anything but the Heroes character?) is one of the best I have ever heard or ever expect to hear. I was watching the series with a friend and we both praised it as the most epic rant ever.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
For the record, it's a little weird to hear I have a record of being "disinterested" in things. Supernatural Battles is actually the first thing I think I've reviewed for the site that I didn't really like. And I certainly didn't come into it expecting that.

I began by noting that it has been TWO shows so far (this is obviously one of the two), for the other, I'll highlight this quote from the comment thread and to be clear, this comment did NOT come from me.
Quote:
Sorry, although I'm enjoying your reviews of Your Lie in April, I'm getting the impression that you just aren't paying enough attention to this show before you write your reviews: the list of careless mistakes just keeps growing. Granted, there are a lot of characters in Shirobako, so I would not expect a reviewer to get all of their names right, but is important to at least understand the context of their interactions.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
For the record, it's a little weird to hear I have a record of being "disinterested" in things.

When a review of Supernatural Battles (apples) comes out as a compare-and-contrast with Kill la Kill (oranges)...
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
When the same studio makes both shows, and they clearly show the viewer they want to remember it, that can be an excuse.

I can't understand why some people keep on bashing reviewers because he or she doesn't share their tastes. In any case, I liked the series and the review.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
You thought the visual style aped Kill la Kill's? I can see someone arguing that purely over an animation standpoint, but stylistically, I loved KLK, and I want more of that kind of stuff from anime in the future. I especially loved the hand painted backgrounds (at least I think they were hand painted), they came off as a lot more lively than most of the static and all too clinical backgrounds I've seen in a lot of modern anime. Which kind of leads me to discuss how I feel that good animation (and a large budget) doesn't necessarily equate to interesting animation. I've seen a lot of anime with large amounts of money put into them, but they're still mostly composed of still shots of heads with mouth flaps accompanying them, with some sparse action scenes to make things more interesting. What I respected about Kill la Kill was its ability to produce a lot of emotion and character (for me) in its movements and skillfully handled shots, despite its slightly lower budget. And to me, that's the mark of truly talented artists. Creating extremely expressive works within your own limits. Limitations often times can even improve a group's visions. I'm thinking of Evangelion in particular with that statement. The creator, Hideaki Anno, was obviously influenced by budget issues and his own negatives life experiences at the time, which are in turn the reason for that show's overall tone by the end of its production. But that's just how I feel regarding the matter, maybe someone else agrees with me.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

This is such a load of bs I can't even begin where to explain. Andou is a jerk? I think its just the opposite. You have this girl who likes the guy, not necessarily the other way around, so she sticks to him and tries to "tolerate" him, and in the end she can't stand and it and rips him for being true to himself.

First of all, she's standing in her childhood friend's house, cooking him dinner in an apron. Andou has read enough light novels to know what is happening here.

Additionally, he's come home later than he said he was going to, and the reason why he was late is that he was meeting another girl. He refuses to tell her what he and this girl were talking about. When a guy says he is going to meet up with a girl, but he arrives late because he was meeting with a different girl, and then he refuses to give any details about what he and the other girl were talking about, then the first girl has every right to be suspicious, or at the very least curious.

He's standing there texting the other girl, telling her "oh, I can't tell you what we talked about, you wouldn't understand"... while Tomoyo is still cooking him dinner. If, at that moment, Andou is being "true to himself", then he has some growing up to do.

CrownKlown wrote:

He is who he is, a guy who just loves playing the superhero in his mind, and if she can't handle it that is her problem.

No, if you have a superhero fantasy, and suddenly a pretty girl who can make magma with her mind offers to cook you dinner, then it's your problem if you can't anticipate her emotional needs.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I am going to pick a nit which drives me wild and I see everywhere, and it cropped up in this review as well. It is one that should not be so hard for people to get correct since it follows a logical construct. The thing I am talking about is this:

"That desire to have its cake and eat it too was all over Kill la Kill as well."

Now, obviously from the context what is being argued about is trying to have something two or more contradictory ways when it is not possible to do so. The problem is there is no problem in having your cake and then eating it. This is why the original and proper way to put it is: To try to eat your cake and have it, as THAT is the contradictory thing being done. Yes, I know, this is a rather silly thing to be up in arms about, but I see it everywhere and it drives me nuts! Granted, I know she is far from the only person who should know better that gets this wrong, but really, is it too much to ask that if one is going to use such an expression to do so correctly? For an expression which is easy enough to get right with just a modicum of thought it is one of the most frequently gotten wrong expressions I know of, which is partly why it irks me so much. It is not like the basic logic test to figure out which way it should go isn't easy to do, yet so many very intelligent well spoken people somehow keep getting this one wrong.

As to the review of the material itself, for the most part dtm42 spoke for me on this series as well, at least so far as I recall, as I did not find this series overly memorable. If a second season does come out I expect I'll watch it with hopes that it gives me more to work with, but so far this series for me has been in the once watched and then forgot category to date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3