• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of the Worst Sore Losers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
I'd call Haruhi Suzumiya a pretty bad loser too. It's less blatant since she so rarely actually loses at things, but this is someone who threw a cosmic temper tantrum just because her team of ragtag amateurs was losing in the first round of a city baseball tournament, and who nearly rewrote the entire universe once in a fit of jealousy.

I was utterly and offensively shocked at her omission. Haven't felt that strongly about "The List" snubs since Strike Witches didn't make the top seven dogfighters (both of which Asuka are undeservedly in)

SNAFU 2 gets my vote for Spring. Hibike! comes in a close second, but SNAFU's writing subtly digs in-depth psychologically and mimics classic literature about youths entering adulthood.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
^ And that's why Snafu DIDN'T get my vote. It was great, but not totally unique. Hibike told a unique story about a topic rarely dipped into, and it did it so fantastically and yet stayed very realistic. Hibike! by a landslide
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hands down My Love Story for me. That is such a feel good show with fun characters that I love to watch every week. I'm still catching up on some shows I miss during the season so this is mostly the a decision from the four shows I'm watching from last season.

Kekkai Sensen I liked well enough but something about that show didn't click with me. I definitely think it may be a tad overrated but, that is just me.

Food Wars! Shokugeki I really wanted to put up because its just another fun show and I love its attitude towards food. and the show knows exactly what it is and it gets more points from me because of that in comparison to Unlimited Blade Works that tries to act like it is saying something.

Speaking of which I really didn't care for. Maybe I was expecting too much after Zero and the first part was okay enough but talk about a boring show. Let's have characters repeat themselves for three episodes straight. Seriously nothing happened for like four episodes in Fate.

And Gintama is still Gintama, which is great.
Wildikdog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Kekkai Sensen
If that doesn't count, Oregairu.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
A part of me actually wanted to try watching Free!, but after reading that, NOPE. I cannot stand that kind of faux-drama. There are few things I hate more in fiction than such contrived nonsense.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
NVM

Last edited by Rederoin on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Naturally for the new poll I went with BBB. Not only my fave show of spring, but one of my fave shows period at this point, I have no doubt that the last episode will be as stellar as the rest of the show.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Voted for the new Tesagure in a heartbeat. Every episode was both hilarious and unique, and it never failed to surpass my expectations in quality or humour. Whether a conversation about how this episode they'll do stupid voices while redubbing previous footage because none of the voice actresses' schedules permitted them to record together ("Even that "What?!" was recorded separately for each person." – "Tsunekawa-san, the mixer, did a good job!") – and the rerecording itself was fantastic (I liked light-haired characters shouting their lines heavy-metal style the best) – or following the Tesagure voice actresses through a haunted house and Ogiino, and therefore Aoi, just losing it the whole time.

The triumph of the show, though, was the Yurirou/Lez Garous/Yuriwolf game: two solid episodes of ad-libbed psychological warfare, lies, death, Danganronpa references and betrayal, with the whole cast bar Tomomi. And that final twist was an exquisite moment. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the dorm room...

Last edited by jymmy on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

7 of the Worst Sore Losers

Whoa, for a moment there, thought my team would somehow be on the list!
We are such sore losers. Laughing
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
This season was kind of a bust for me; I tried several, but ended up dropping a lot, or I just wasn't at all interested. The only shows I can say I liked are UBW, BBB (which I voted for), and Arslan (which is only half over). Besides AssClass, which is a leftover from Winter. And all of those are, as they stand, 7/10s, (BBB is scraping an 8); solid, good shows, but nothing that really wowed me, unlike last season.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Super Buu. Piccolo on the other hand knew when he lost.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I would put Agon from Eyeshield 21 on my list, at least in the anime. He goes so far as to nearly assault a referee.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Tough choice between BBB and sound euphonium, but I think BBB really really didn't stick the landing, between the filler and the lackluster and out of character second to last episode, I don't see how the last one could pull it ahead of euphonium. SE didn't really tried to do anything interesting with its final, but it was well done nonetheless.
Rosalena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Asuka was the first character I thought of when I read the title of this week's "The List" Laughing I'm not familiar with any of the other characters mentioned so I can't say whether her ranking is appropriate or not, but it seems a bit low to me (all things considered).

For the poll, I voted for Hibike! Euphonium. It was a tough choice because I don't think there were any stand-outs last season. There were a handful of "good" shows but no "great" ones for me.

Here's hoping that this season has more to offer!
Korogoro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
For the poll: Kekkai Sensen is definitely the best show of this spring even if the last episode is not out yet, and will probably be one of the best anime this year. Rie Matsumoto should direct more shows, she's wonderful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4