• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Well no, isekai very rarely, if ever, use there knowledge of advance technology to improve the world they resurrect in, maybe in LN form but as far as anime log horizon is the only one I can think of that brushed on the subject a tiny bit.

You can maybe add "Vision of Escaflowne" to your list. Thought not really the main topic of the series, when Isaac appear on Gaia, he provides his knowledge to the inhabitants of Zeibacher and turn a desolated land into a powerful empire.

But you are right, it is mostly in light/web novels that makes the most out of it, like "A Realist Hero's Kingdom Reconstruction Chronicle" or "Release that Witch".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the Fate franchise does love its info dumps, doesn't it? Hopefully those are now all out of the way. It's too bad that ufotable isn't doing Fate/Apocrypha because they really bring a level of visual sumptuous that is hard to match. Oh well, I think I'll enjoy the title regardless.

Liked Knight's (damn you erroneous apostraphe) & Magic, too.I appreciated that the monster designs actually looked cool instead of dopey like sometimes happens in bug hunt shows.

Hina Logi is cute. I'm hit or miss on cute girls doing cute things shows, but after two eppies this one seems like it may be a keeper.

Last edited by Blood- on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
"Somebody get the poor boy a good shrink!" was pretty much all i could think of while watching Aoyama-kun...so i seriously doubt i'd enjoy the rest of this show any better. Pass.

Fox Spirit Matchmaker wasn't that bad, it definitely wasn't anywhere close to The King's Avatar, of course but reminded me more of Spiritpact which i never mananged to finish...well, gonna give it a couple of more eps. Probably. Unless i simply forget about it.

Knight(') & Magic was surprisingly entertaining. Shows like that usually have at least one major character that annoys the hell out of me, but in this case it's looking good so far. And i like the "mechas in a fantasy setting" twist. And Ernesti is adorable. Smile

But my top pick (for now) is Youkai Apartment. Yes, the visuals aren't exactly spectacular, but i'm a sucker for slice of life with quirky characters (and youkai!) and it features a bunch of my all-time favourite seiyuu! This is definitely a keeper for me.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
garrisonaw wrote:
Quote:
First of all, someone find me the grammar teacher of the person who came up with the title of this show. I need to have Words with them. That pesky misplaced apostrophe actually turned out to be an indicator of the way this episode left me feeling – it just doesn't quite work.

Quote:
The rogue apostrophe in the title of Knight's & Magic annoys me. I just needed to get that off my chest before saying anything coherent about the story.

After reading the reviews, I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by the apostrophe in the title. I really had hoped it was just a typo on ANN's part, but I guess not. Maybe the series will correct its mistake for future episodes, but I'm not counting on it. I suppose it's possible that it's intended to be there (as opposed to being placed there out of ignorance), but if that's the case, they really should explain their reasoning.

Frankly, I will admit to being enough of a pedantic grammarian that that one apostrophe alone - in light of the mediocre reviews - will be enough to keep me from watching this series at all, unless the reviews for later episodes indicate that the anime is turning out to be really good, instead of the "meh" vibe I'm getting right now.

No typo, it's the actual tittle in English that appear in the cover of the Japanese LN's.
As for what intend, well that's something only the author or the editor of the LN know, maybe a play of words. We all know how strange the LN titles can be.
It was watchable but mecha is not really my thing so i think was a 1 episode show for me.

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life was so enjoyable to watch. Nice show with a good art. The good surprise show for so far in the season for me.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
No typo, it's the actual tittle in English that appear in the cover of the Japanese LN's.
As for what intend, well that's something only the author or the editor of the LN know, maybe a play of words. We all know how strange the LN titles can be.

I suppose I can cut the original web novel's author a little slack for posting the story under that title back in 2010... but I don't see why the adaptations feel the need to include the apostrophe. Hell, Game of Thrones was willing to leave out the word "A".

(For people who don't read web novels, expect more reincarnation fantasies in the future. These days it's like half the isekai genre.)
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I said it before, I'll say it again: Don't underestimate Youkai Apato. Considering all the action-packed series this season has, its change of pace will be refreshing.

Now I want to watch the first episode of A Centaur's Life (I liked the manga before it got too spoiler[political]), and of course, what I'm sure will be my favorite show in years, Ballroom E Youkoso
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
So in restaurant to another world did the girl receive that dragon's queen blessing I guess. Either way it was a nice first episode I'll be following it for now.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Of the two demons in our world shows today I, like the reviewers, give the nod to Restaurant to Another World over Yokai Apartments. First, I've enjoyed listening to Sawabe Junichi in other roles, most recently as the teacher in Demi-chan wa Kataritai, and his strong, calm voice fits his character here well. Of the two, this show also feels a bit less formulaic as well.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Restaurant to Another World feels different and yet nice

It's sort of calm and soothing with both the soundtrack and the general concept of the show and Junichi Suwabe has a nice deep but kind presence to him that endears the chef to me

Aletta is a little less positive in my eyes if only because i find her story a bit trite but she's cute in a way that doesn't feel annoying to me

The art for the cooking and food was one of the highlights for me as it looks vivid and conveys the taste well
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, considering Tanya the Evil and Knight's Magic, are these two the originators of a new subgenre (older otaku guy getting reincarnated as loli or shota in some fantasy setting), or are they just spiritual successors of things like Detective Conan?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
@ CK - I doubt we are seeing the emergence of a new sub-genre, but then again when it come to Otaku World, one never knows!

Really liked both Elegant Yokai Apartment and Restaurant to Another World. Man, I'm batting a thousand with new shows so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
@CK: Not exactly. Tanya and Conan both were essentially body-swapped, retaining their original memories, intellect and personalities, while Ernesti seems to be a child with random past-life memories, and interests and some talents influenced by those.

Agent355 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also the cleaning obsession was more fun in Shounen Maid, since Aoyama doesn't seem to enjoy his cleaning, which is sad.

I picked up on that, and it's a pretty realistic depiction of OCD.

I know, but the series seems to be trying to get me to see it as humorous, which it wasn't. We'll see if that approach changes in future episodes.

I enjoyed Elegant Yokai Apartment Life more than I thought I would. I was convinced that Isshiki was a ghost who'd died ten years earlier, but I think Rebecca's probably right about his kitsune look. Loved the kid watching the static with his dog. Very Happy My only concern is that this is animated by the same folks who did Trickster, and they totally phoned it in in the last third, though it was barely passable to begin with. I'm already seeing cracks in the veneer.

Restaurant to Another World has some work to do to keep me watching. I appreciate taking the time to let a story unfold, but this made glaciers look zippy. Right now the chef is its only draw.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ CK - I doubt we are seeing the emergence of a new sub-genre, but then again when it come to Otaku World, one never knows!

This is a listing of the most popular stories of all time on the site that Knight's & Magic is serialized on. (Also the home of Restaurant to Another World, Mahouka, Log Horizon, DanMachi, Re:Zero, KonoSuba...) Search on the page for 転生, "reincarnation". If you want to narrow it down a little, try 異世界転生, "other-world reincarnation".

Yeah, this is a subgenre. A big one. And you can bet on seeing more of it animated.[/url]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@ Shay Guy - I think you misunderstand. I wasn't saying that "transported/reincarnated to another world" stories aren't a subgenre. I was responding to CK's no doubt tongue in cheek comment that Tanya and Knight's & Magic might be the start of a new trend where adult male characters are reincarnated as loli or shota characters. If there is a huge list of shows with that premise please feel free to list some of them here. Your link does me absoultely no good as I don't speak or read Japanese. Not sure why you would assume I would be able to make use of it. This is very obviously an English language site.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Your link does me absoultely no good as I don't speak or read Japanese. Not sure why you would assume I would be able to make use of it. This is very obviously an English language site.

Sorry; thought that my Ctrl-F instructions would've been some use even without being able to read Japanese! (I can't either, for that matter.) I only linked it to illustrate it that reincarnation as a premise has indeed become a big thing in the web novel world.

As for "loli or shota characters"... well, there is some logic to a "reincarnating" character starting out as an infant, and not waiting until adolescence to start on their Super Awesome journey. In my experience, that's at least as common as the KonoSuba "spawn as adult" style. Aside from K&M, there's Mushoku Tensei; Kenkyo, Kenjitsu; Ascendance of a Bookworm (OK, that's more "entered the body of a dying child"); Gun-Ota; World Teacher... of course, sometimes they get to skip the infancy stage with "I lost my memories like most people do but got hit on the head when I was five and suddenly recovered them".

There's also stories where the protagonist becomes some kind of non-human creature in their next life (slime, giant spider, vending machine). I haven't seen too many cases where they become a human of the opposite sex a la Tanya the Evil, though. Tilea's Worries, I think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 35