• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Hundred, Taboo Tattoo for BD/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

Both titles were also prior to the partnership. Re:Zero is the same season as Hundred and Taboo Tattoo is the summer before. KonoSuba had a second season post the partnership so I would've expected them to do with it what they did with New Game (dub season 1 in two chunks on their streaming service, then simuldub season 2).

This isn't even me saying "Why aren't the titles I like being dubbed", especially since I don't watch dubs, but it just confuses me that titles that they know will turn a profit aren't getting a release, especially since it was confirmed that CR has the master license to Konosuba.

EDIT: @leelee85 There wasn't one. I assume they meant the distribution partnership.

Funimation is already pumping over 15 dub a season. I suppose it's a matter of balancing the titles they release. Like not release all the big titles at the same time.

Or like I said maybe CR titles that are already in the work are taking the workforce. When CR first announced they were dubbing stuff. Twin star was also there along many of the titles that were just recently announced and that hasn't been released yet.

All speculation of course. Could simply be the license holders.
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Both titles were also prior to the partnership. Re:Zero is the same season as Hundred and Taboo Tattoo is the summer before. KonoSuba had a second season post the partnership so I would've expected them to do with it what they did with New Game (dub season 1 in two chunks on their streaming service, then simuldub season 2).

This isn't even me saying "Why aren't the titles I like being dubbed", especially since I don't watch dubs, but it just confuses me that titles that they know will turn a profit aren't getting a release, especially since it was confirmed that CR has the master license to Konosuba.

EDIT: @leelee85 There wasn't one. I assume they meant the distribution partnership.

Funimation is already pumping over 15 dub a season. I suppose it's a matter of balancing the titles they release. Like not release all the big titles at the same time.

Or like I said maybe CR titles that are already in the work are taking the workforce. When CR first announced they were dubbing stuff. Twin star was also there along many of the titles that were just recently announced and that hasn't been released yet.

All speculation of course. Could simply be the license holders.

So how can Anime Strike can compete with Funimation/Crunchyroll partership if they (Anime Strike by Amazon) is not going to dub their non Sentai Licensed exclusives?
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Taboo Tattoo licensed and dubbed? Sometimes I wonder if these companies are intentionally trying to lose money.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:

So how can Anime Strike can compete with Funimation/Crunchyroll partership if they (Anime Strike by Amazon) is not going to dub their non Sentai Licensed exclusives?

They could just choose not too. I don't think they care for competing with Funimation/Crunchyroll. Shame for us dub fans, but that's a possibility.

They could also make other dub the shows like they did with Kabaneri, but that's a relationship that I don't know the status on.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Taboo Tattoo licensed and dubbed? Sometimes I wonder if these companies are intentionally trying to lose money.

I doubt they are losing money on it, but it is definitely an odd choice to release and dub a very disliked title.
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

They could just choose not too. I don't think they care for competing with Funimation/Crunchyroll. Shame for us dub fans, but that's a possibility.

They could also make other dub the shows like they did with Kabaneri, but that's a relationship that I don't know the status on.

I don't Believe that They need to dub their exclusives or give it to Sentai or someone else and put it on Anime Strike If they want to beat Crunchyroll/Funimation
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Taboo Tattoo? Does this mean we might get Hand Shakers on home video as well? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
beholder242

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Jeez give us re zero already

Seconded!

It amazes me that as popular as Re:Zero sounds, it hasn't been licensed yet for DVD/BD and stuff like Taboo Tattoo has...
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:

They just operate at a significant loss. Amazon has done this strategy countless times already. They don't need to make money to stay competitive as they make exorbitant amounts of money off of their Prime subs. Their other business facets can operate at millions of dollars of loss per year without them blinking an eye; a category I can almost guarantee Anime Strike is apart of.

I'm still surprised Taboo Tattoo is getting a dub. Makes me wonder if they had already started the dubbing process prior to the agreement being public and just decided to not scrap it. It was watched pretty heavily on CR though, even if the vast majority of watchers thought it was terrible.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Taboo Tattoo? Does this mean we might get Hand Shakers on home video as well? Laughing

You just want to make some poor sap have to review the disc version...
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

It's already dubbed, so yea.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Jeez give us re zero already

Seconded!

It amazes me that as popular as Re:Zero sounds, it hasn't been licensed yet for DVD/BD and stuff like Taboo Tattoo has...

My only working theory as to why CR's popular titles aren't getting released is that the cost may just be too high, as in the licensor may be charging such a huge sum to release Re:Zero on home video that CR can't afford it. Having the right to stream something doesn't always correlate to having the right to relase it on blu ray. This has happened before, but I highly doubt it.

That or the unlikely chance that Toonami wants it so they have to wait until after it's announced for TV to announce a home video release. Considering Toonami only really cares about action shows and longer running shows, this is probably not the case.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
That or the unlikely chance that Toonami wants it so they have to wait until after it's announced for TV to announce a home video release. Considering Toonami only really cares about action shows and longer running shows, this is probably not the case.

I had not considered that, but Toonami might be the reason for a lack of a physical release; the show is similar to SAO, which aired in the block. The license for BD/DVD rights for Re:Zero might be very expensive, but high profile titles are still licensed for home video release within a year after it ends airing. Fingers crossed that we have a BD/DVD license announcement at the end of this year or the start of next year.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
My only working theory as to why CR's popular titles aren't getting released is that the cost may just be too high,

My theory is that they are delaying the popular stuff due to fears of reverse importation. Meanwhile unpopular stuff gets the green light earlier since they probably can outsell and even reap more income that the japanese release (Taboo Tattoo sold an average of less than 400 disc sets) since some people enjoy how bad a series can get. Besides, if Funi is ever going to get even with the dubbing costs, they have to release a box set (since Toonami will not license Taboo Tattoo, even for free)..
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
My only working theory as to why CR's popular titles aren't getting released is that the cost may just be too high,

My theory is that they are delaying the popular stuff due to fears of reverse importation. Meanwhile unpopular stuff gets the green light earlier since they probably can outsell and even reap more income that the japanese release (Taboo Tattoo sold an average of less than 400 disc sets) since some people enjoy how bad a series can get. Besides, if Funi is ever going to get even with the dubbing costs, they have to release a box set (since Toonami will not license Taboo Tattoo, even for free)..

So what are the chance of Dive!! or Re Creators being Licensed for Home Video releases?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5