• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Sad Dagashi kashi season 2 didn't get in, probably didn't help it wasnt in the preview guide.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what? I've been periodically checking ANN all weekend for the seasonal streaming review poll that, you know, was going to go into the creation of this, and I never saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Aw, this will be the first time some shows I'm following didn't get in. I'm not really surprised Takagi-san didn't get in, but I thought Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens would.

And as someone who is enjoying the hell out of Pop Team Epic, I still have to wish Gabriella the best of luck. I have no idea how you review something like that, but I'm eager to see how she tackles it.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Sigh... No Sanrio Boys, no Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens*, no DamePri, no IDOLiSH7, not even season 2 of Sword Boys... I thought at least Sanrio Boys would make the cut. The girl stuff doesn't get enough love....

I agree, that's pretty disappointing. Not exactly unexpected, but still disappointing.

Also a bit surprised that neither Basilisk nor Hakyu Hoshin Engin made the cut. They both didn't exactly show promise to become masterpieces, but still managed to stir my nostalgic old-school heart...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the only shows that I thought might be worth covering that was left out was Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and maybe Katana Maidens - but I didn't really expect to see the latter, given its ratings in the preview guide. Yowapeda's last season was struggling in the rankings so it isn't a surprise this season got passed up. Hanamaru didn't make it the first time so I didn't really expect the second season to be here either.

On the other end, I'm kind of surprised that Junji Ito Collection made it through. The second episode was a bit better, but it still doesn't seem like the best adaptation, and I don't think its flaws really lend itself to a hatewatch. More of a disappointwatch if anything.

I'm hoping Gabriella likes Pop Team Epic, because I think there are some references and other things that could be ripe for a genuine review. Also I can't help but imagine the pushback if it gets hatereviewed, given how trolly and shitposty the show itself is.

I'm guessing Death March was given to James in anticipation of being a worst of the season candidate, given he gave it the lowest score of the reviewers, but I feel like this show could grow an audience that would push back hard on such a review, and there is already a significant disparity between his and user opinion of the show. If it warrants such a review, that is what it is, but I'm not exactly eager to see what that thread will look like.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Glad that James got Darling. His preview and tweets on the show definitely resonated with my response to it and I'm extremely excited to read those.
Looks like Paul also got some of the really good stuff. I didn't actually vote for YuruCamp because I don't really need reviews of that kind of content, but I'm still kind of glad it made it through.
The only shame here, I guess, is the lack of Hakumei to Mikochi. I was interested to read about where that was going for my own selfish sake. I guess I'll just have to watch it myself though. lol

XerBlade wrote:
Wait, what? I've been periodically checking ANN all weekend for the seasonal streaming review poll that, you know, was going to go into the creation of this, and I never saw it.

It was up for the last 48 hours, give or take. I saw it Saturday evening(same time-zone as you), so it's been pretty much a full two days. Personally, I check the site daily, but when the poll is due to be up soon, I try to stop by every several hours, at least.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So, Violet Evergarden was picked up for weekly streaming reviews. I still don't like the decision because it is not legally simulcasting in the U.S. I don't want to see the fandom segmented, and I have concerns with a potential increase in people pirating the show. But I want to be mature about it and trust that ANN made a wise decision.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Shame about Hakumei and Mikochi not getting in to the weekly review schedule, but I suppose its the type of shows that doesn’t need to have it to still be enjoyable. After not seeing the shows Paul Jensen reviewed weekly last season, I’m now watching both of the shows he’s reviewing this season, so that’s something. Gabriella reviewing Pop Team Epic? After her work on this site last year, it’ll be interesting to see her “take” on this one. I’m a little surprised that Katana Maidens didn’t make the cut, but I guess I’ll just keep watching it for myself then. Finally, Violet Evergarden getting weekly reviews on this site is the final straw that will have me watching it also on a weekly basis. Yes, I’m aware that I’m being an impatient spoiled modern anime fan and I’ll watch it again when it comes out on Netflix in the U.S. to see how the English dub sounds like.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So, Violet Evergarden was picked up for weekly streaming reviews. I still don't like the decision because it is not legally simulcasting in the U.S. I don't want to see the fandom segmented, and I have concerns with a potential increase in people pirating the show. But I want to be mature about it and trust that ANN made a wise decision.

Keep in mind that this version of ANN is for USA & Canada and VE is legally simulcasting in Canada.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
So Violet Evergarden is eligible because it's being streamed by Netflix in some non US territories, but The Seven Deadly Sins is not?

Is SDS being streamed weekly on Netflix anywhere, though?

Anyway, I'll definitely be watching it once it's available, so you can expect a seasonal review on that, too.

Not that I know of.

I however agree with the other person, if you are gonna do weekly reviews at least wait until it becomes globally available. Because that’s just being unfair then. I don’t want to see episode reviews on a show that I can’t physically watch, especially so if I have to use illegal methods to watch said show.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
I however agree with the other person, if you are gonna do weekly reviews at least wait until it becomes globally available. Because that’s just being unfair then. I don’t want to see episode reviews on a show that I can’t physically watch, especially so if I have to use illegal methods to watch said show.

So please explain why it wasn't unfair when shows streamed in US but not elsewhere were reviewed in previous seasons?

You got the short stick this time. Deal with it.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I highly doubt it getting weekly reviews will be the final incentive for people to pirate to show. I for one knew a year in advance I was gonna pirate it simply because Netflix had it. And as Blood pointed out its being simulcasted pretty much everywhere but the US.

Felicity dash wrote:

No ones forcing you to read the reviews or pirate the show with a gun to your head. And if someone is please tell us now so we can call the police.

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Sigh... No Sanrio Boys, no Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens*, no DamePri, no IDOLiSH7, not even season 2 of Sword Boys... I thought at least Sanrio Boys would make the cut. The girl stuff doesn't get enough love....

If you look out in the blogosphere, there's bound to be somebody reviewing those shows. There's also usually forum threads here and at Crunchy. ANN is a central source, but it's by no means the only source. There's a lot of hard working bloggers out there.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I'm hoping Gabriella likes Pop Team Epic, because I think there are some references and other things that could be ripe for a genuine review. Also I can't help but imagine the pushback if it gets hatereviewed, given how trolly and shitposty the show itself is.

Last season they explained the the reviewers volunteer for shows, and then the shows are chosen by viewer poll. Apparently it's a rare happenstance that the viewers choose a show that no reviewer had volunteered for.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I don’t mind ANN reviewing Evergarden weekly for our Canadian fellows (and other places where it is simulcasting) and I voted as such. It wouldn’t be the first site I have to avoid reviews for a show because I’m waiting for it to come out legally in the US - and it won’t be the only site’s reviews of Violet Evergarden that I’ll be avoiding anyways.

@DerekL1963 I’m well aware of how they have them assigned, I was just expressing concern that the users and reviewers may have chosen the show for very different reasons which might have some undesirable effects. I think in the case of Pop Team Epic, my concern will be unfounded.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
...seriously? Pop Team Epic? Whoever voted for that series are sadistic. Because that’s just pure torture.

Hi, hello, sadist here reporting in.
angelmcazares wrote:

Let's be real, everyone watching it outside of the few people in Japan are pirating it anyways. That's just the reality for Netflix anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6