• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Again Shut Out of Annie Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
manuelRN wrote:
Screw the Annies. Screw Hollywood and screw Wallace and Gromit! Hollywood hasn't put out anything good in the last 50 years.

Comments like these and the stereotypical "American animation suxxxx!!!" comments that are polluting this thread make me sad and rageful.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Wallace and Grommit?!? *shudders*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
manuelRN wrote:
and screw Wallace and Gromit! .

Toshirodragon wrote:
Wallace and Grommit?!? *shudders*

Wow, you two sure showed why Wallace and Gromit sucks. Rolling Eyes I doubt Manuel will post again as he appears to be nothing more then another 1 post Talkback whiner. So I'll ask you Toshiro, you got a reason why it sucks or just some mindless shuddering for no reason?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, here we go again. A bunch of people touting their opinions as though they are the quality police out to tell the rest of the world that their opinion on good and bad is law and that a group recognizing other works through differing criteria is obviously wrong, stupid or whatever other colorful word they can come up with to make their point while simply demonstrating their own intolerance, elitist tendencies and plain childish immature behavior. Yeah, I think that about covers it.

You don't like it? Fine. You think it's better? Fine. Ya know what? Good for freaking you. I thought Paprika was overrated and I do not think it was better than last years nominations by a mile, I'm not here getting uppity because some people think it was though. Show a little tolerance and respect for people who maybe look at animation in different ways than you.

But oh wait, I know, it's better because it's anime; I forgot that rule. Yeah, because some anime fans who basically come right out and say they hate all domestic animation are really the ones to give us an objective outlook on what is and isn't good, yeah, there's no bias there at all. You like Paprika, I don't think it's quite deserving of the praise it gets, but I must be wrong and others who agree with me must be wrong because you said so right? That's about the value of what you're bringing to the table at this point guys. I like domestic animation, but someone here just made the incredibly enlightened comment that it "sucks" so .... wow ...... I must be totally wrong. Thank god he was there to enlighten me with his profound wisdom.

Time to get over the god complex, your word and your opinion is not law. If your going to sit here and preach and pretend that it is at least don't make your bias so incredibly obvious your credibility is lost from the first word you post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/persepolis/

With that one in the running, no other film stands a chance. Fo sho. Same goes for the Oscar.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
perpetual159 wrote:
midori kou wrote:
Personally, I feel once you see one Miyazaki/Ghibli film, you kinda see them all.

For the most part, this is very true... if you take the time to watch some of Miyazaki's first films like Grave of the Fireflies or Naussicaa which set the standard for his later works. However, I do believe that, for once, with Howl's Moving Castle, he strayed away from tree hugging hippie stories he's so fond of putting on film--not that that's a bad thing Smile--granted, the screenplay is based on a book, so it wasn't exactly his idea.

Quote:
some of Miyazaki's first films like Grave of the Fireflies

Quote:
Miyazaki's [...] Grave of the Fireflies

Your opinion became invalid right here.

Anyway, there's no way you can say that Nausicaa is the same movie as, say, Spirited Away. Maybe Princess Mononoke. He does have a common theme in most of his movies, but not all, and each is unique in its own way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DarkMirage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Now, I'll admit they only showed the first segment.

That's your problem right there. You didn't even finish the whole story. The first segment is not a story of its own, it's only the beginning.

As for animation, I don't know what you are smoking, but Makoto Shinkai's works are some of the most beautifully animated pieces out there. I just hope they release the entire movie in 1080p like the trailer for oukashou, because that was awe-inspiring.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
But they're kidding themselves if they're picking "Ratatouille" over much better foreign works.

I've heard good things about Persepolis though, look forward to seeing that later this year.

Umm... Ratatouille is the best reviewed major studio movie of this year and they're kidding themselves? Ninety-seven percent at Rotten Tomatoes and the sixth highest score of all time at metacritic?

Please. Bee Movie and Surf's Up being there is asinine, but Ratatouille shouldn't just win this, if the Academy didn't have their inherit bias against animation (they shunt everything animated off into its own category), it would have a best picture nomination as well.

Pixar's works are generally substantially better than the Disney classics of the nineties I grew up with. Those are great movies, but Pixar's are simply better. The characters richer, the story-lines more complex and mature. That's my opinion and you of course can disagree but...

Being foreign or not recent doesn't make a movie better. The disdain towards American animation is one of my least favorite aspects of anime-dom.

Ratatouille should win this award, hands down. It will be a joke if it doesn't. No anime movie released here this year is as good. Jmho.

I guess I should add that I completely disagree with Wallace and Grommit beating HMC in 2005, but W&G are critics' pets and always have been. It was inevitable that a movie about them would be warmly received, even I wasn't a fan.

And putting all of this aside, I believe the only movie eligible this year was Tekkonkinkreet? I haven't seen it, but I haven't really heard good things about it at all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Tenchi:
Quote:
Didn't the Annies actually WANT to nominate Paprika last year, but Sony wouldn't send them a screener?

Sounds like BS, because when Millennium Actress was submitted, it didn't win a thing.

Keonyn:
Quote:
I thought Paprika was overrated and I do not think it was better than last years nominations by a mile,

Yeah, nothing's more impressive than talking animal flicks. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

But oh wait, I know, it's better because it's anime;

No, it's better, because it's not animation which only appeals to children and man-children.

Dragonsrevenge:
Quote:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/persepolis/

With that one in the running, no other film stands a chance.

But will it win, because it deserves it? Or will it win, because it'll get support from red-staters who think nuking Iran is fine and dandy? Razz
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Sounds like BS, because when Millennium Actress was submitted, it didn't win a thing.

MA was released by Dreamworks, not Sony. Dreamworks submitted MA, Sony didn't submit Paprika.

Additionally Millennium Actress wouldn't have won because it came out the same year as Spirited Away, which did win. Wow, that's so clearly an anti-anime stance the Annies took there. Except not.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Wow, you again demonstrate your magical ability to argue a point without actually making a point or supporting your comments. Okay, so again I get the idea that "Anime should win because it's anime". And amazingly during the process you also demonstrated your bias and poor conception of domestic animation as a whole and a lack of respect or tolerance towards our cultures take on animation and what others look for animation because it doesn't match what you want. So basically, your comments do little more than support what I said. Why thank you GATSU.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
kaze: I know that. I was implying that if the Annie members were really interested in Paprika, Millennium Actress would've won. Methinks the former film got snubbed. And Spirited Away won, because it was kiddie fare like everything else these organizations pick.

Keonyn: No, I'm saying that anime should get as much of a chance to win as everything else. But that's not gonna happen, unless it fits populist definitions of "quality" animation. And frankly, domestic animation is a joke. It used to be about taking cinema in different places than live-action, and now it's just become live-action with a coat of paint on it. (*cough* Beowulf *cough*) Even John K. thinks so, which is why I'm surprised he got picked.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
There ya go again, basically throwing your opinion out there to support your arguments. I don't think domestic animation is a joke. So there ya go, I guess if opinion is law we just blew up the universe. You're right, anime doesn't have as much of chance as domestic animation, but that's no different than domestic animation going for awards over there, welcome to the world. Not to mention you're again judging it based on your opinion and blasting it for that without respect towards those who appreciate the approaches you so hate. Once again demonstrating your bias and unwillingness to respect the viewpoints of others.

If you want to ride a merry-go-round go purchase a ticket, this round about discussion is getting old however.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
kaze: I know that. I was implying that if the Annie members were really interested in Paprika, Millennium Actress would've won. Methinks the former film got snubbed. And Spirited Away won, because it was kiddie fare like everything else these organizations pick.

Okay got you on the first part, but I couldn't disagree more on the kiddie fare thing. Something being geared towards families doesn't diminish it's quality and it shouldn't. There are as many horrible non family movies out there are horrible family movies. Most movies are bad, really. Good family animation appeals to all ages. Higher rated doesn't mean better. I love MA but I agree with their choice of Spirited Away as a better movie on the whole.

Quote:

And frankly, domestic animation is a joke. It used to be about taking cinema in different places than live-action, and now it's just become live-action with a coat of paint on it. (*cough* Beowulf *cough*) Even John K. thinks so, which is why I'm surprised he got picked.

That's just motion capture. Well and some studios try too hard to make their people look real which just leaves them looking creepy *coughdreamworkscough*, but the general animation community on the whole looks down on motion capture. Many to most animators don't consider it real animation, and a lot of them don't feel it should be eligible for animation awards.

There's a reason that the animation community was up in arms when Cars got the Annie Award but Happy Feet got the academy award last year. It wasn't just because of the quality of the films, or even because never before had the Academy not seconded the Annie award for best animated film- it was because Happy Feet was motion capture which is not considered a viable form of the animation by so much of the animation world. I'm an animation buff myself and I was infuriated by that choice.

I can't stand mocap. Looks so forced and the movement so wrong. Everyone looks soulless.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
You're right, anime doesn't have as much of chance as domestic animation, but that's no different than domestic animation going for awards over there, welcome to the world.

You sure about that?

kaze: True. Justin just proved older appeal doesn't necessarily mean better quality with his panning of Angel Cop. Wink But Millennium Actress had the same MPAA rating as Spirited Away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5