• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Licenses Infinite Stratos, The Unwanted Undead Adventurer Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The pace that J-Novel releases their volumes is actually good compared to the length people sometimes wait for fan translations of a light novel chapter. If the company gets bigger (say they had 13 staff members and 10 translators), they could potentially increase yearly output to 10-12 vol.

We have over 20 translators and 35-40 active freelance staff including editors and checkers now....

But I could have 200 and it wouldn't increase our pace on a _single_ series to 10-12 a year. Since I'm not going to put multiple translators on a single series (unless one quits in the middle). And forcing a single translator to do 12 volumes in a year of a single series is going to lower quality, I guarantee it. 1 volume per series every 2 months, max 2 series at once is what I believe is the limit for people before they start burning out.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Woohoo! J-Novel Club has been releasing some interesting stuff, but with so many anime series being based on light novels never being completed, I'm most interested in getting the light novels for various anime and am always somewhat disappointed when a light novel license is announced that isn't for an anime that was previously released (much as a number of those are quite good, and some will eventually join the ranks of unfinished anime). So, I'm particularly excited when J-Novel Club announces a license for a light novel series that was previously adapted into an anime and unfinished, and Infinite Stratos is definitely one of those I've been hoping to get my hands on. So, this is great news. The other series may be great too, and I'll probably end up picking it up, but it's the announcement for Infinite Stratos that I'm excited about.

Of course, that leaves High School DxD, Campione!, Maburaho, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Date a Live, Dragonar Academy, Tokyo Ravens, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, Hundred, Magika Swordsman and Summoner, The Testament of Sister New Devil, Unbreakable Machine Doll, etc., etc. There are so many good anime series that were adapted from light novels and never finished that even if J-Novel Club focused on those entirely and were able to license whatever they wanted, I doubt that they'd end up translating every series I'm interested in, but at least they're releasing several good series (both those which have been adapted into anime and those which haven't), and the light novel situation in English is worlds better than it used to be, in part thanks to J-Novel Club. A decade ago, getting light novels in English was almost completely a pipe dream, and now we're getting quite a few, even if getting every series that Japan has continues to be a pipe dream and likely always will be.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:
I request Infinite Stratos and High School DxD in every novel survey that Seven Seas and Vertical sends out.

I'd say that there's a greater chance now than ever before of IS getting physical volumes printed, especially if the digital sales do well. J-Novel Club has worked with Seven Seas to get several titles published physically.

i just hope it sells well enough to warrant the manga version of IS to be released. i mean if harem series like trinity seven and the asterisk war can get manga adaptations of their light novel counterparts released in the US which are not that popular at all (since their not the mano holy grail of LN harem series like index/railgun , danmachi, DxD or shinmai mao no testament) , then IS can sure as hell be given a shot too.

Kalessin wrote:
Woohoo! J-Novel Club has been releasing some interesting stuff, but with so many anime series being based on light novels never being completed, I'm most interested in getting the light novels for various anime and am always somewhat disappointed when a light novel license is announced that isn't for an anime that was previously released (much as a number of those are quite good, and some will eventually join the ranks of unfinished anime). So, I'm particularly excited when J-Novel Club announces a license for a light novel series that was previously adapted into an anime and unfinished, and Infinite Stratos is definitely one of those I've been hoping to get my hands on. So, this is great news. The other series may be great too, and I'll probably end up picking it up, but it's the announcement for Infinite Stratos that I'm excited about.

Of course, that leaves High School DxD, Campione!, Maburaho, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Date a Live, Dragonar Academy, Tokyo Ravens, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, Hundred, Magika Swordsman and Summoner, The Testament of Sister New Devil, Unbreakable Machine Doll, etc., etc. There are so many good anime series that were adapted from light novels and never finished that even if J-Novel Club focused on those entirely and were able to license whatever they wanted, I doubt that they'd end up translating every series I'm interested in, but at least they're releasing several good series (both those which have been adapted into anime and those which haven't), and the light novel situation in English is worlds better than it used to be, in part thanks to J-Novel Club. A decade ago, getting light novels in English was almost completely a pipe dream, and now we're getting quite a few, even if getting every series that Japan has continues to be a pipe dream and likely always will be.

you forgot about kyokai senjou no horizon (horizon in the middle of nowhere) which had a large fanbase back when it was popular. not to mention log horizon which is now in limbo due to the author's legal troubles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
i mean if harem series like trinity seven and the asterisk war can get manga adaptations of their light novel counterparts released in the US

Trinity Seven is an original manga though, not an adaptation of anything else. Trinity Seven The Novel is counted as a side story to the manga from what I see.

jr240483 wrote:
not to mention log horizon which is now in limbo due to the author's legal troubles.

*which WAS in limbo:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-29/log-horizon-novel-11-listed-for-march/.127090
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
you forgot about kyokai senjou no horizon (horizon in the middle of nowhere) which had a large fanbase back when it was popular. not to mention log horizon which is now in limbo due to the author's legal troubles.

I could put many more in the list. I just stopped listing them after a while. And similarly, there are some anime series based on manga where we never got the manga (e.g. My Bride is a Mermaid), so it's not just a LN problem, but we get a much higher percentage of the manga series released in Japan than we do light novels, and we've been getting manga for far longer, so that list is much, much shorter. And in some cases, we've actually gotten manga releases for them eventually, even if it took years (e.g. Sekirei).

I always have a hard time filling out surveys about which LN series I'd like to see licensed, since there are so many of them that I could list, whereas that's not as big a problem with manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2