• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Mind the Gatemaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Given that, it's pretty easy to feel like those people aren't True Fans a feeling I... partly aggree with. I mean, sure, you can like one over the other for whatever reason you find fair and you can compare the animes but I reserve the right to raise an eyebrow everytime I see someone say that FZ (as a narrative) is better than FSN and that Urobuchi is a better writer than Nasu.

You can disagree with someone over which director is better, which adaptation is better, which starting point is better, etc. The moment you start tossing out the "true fan" phrase however, in any fashion, you* loose all credibility and come off as nothing more than a pompous elitist. .

I get your point but still think there's a few caveats. Like some people mentioned, there's the issue of discussing about a series' more fine points. I do think anyone is entitled to be a fan and partially disagree with the "true fan" term if only because it does indeed sound dickish. But it's also troubling to see discussion about something where non-facts are being thrown around about by someone who doesn't quite know what they're talking about. It's the same reason you don't take Tom Wolfe's assessments on Chomsky seriously, they're just misinformed and severely lacking in understanding of his theory and its implications. same goes for music, anime, etc. So while a guy going around saying he's a fan of Radiohead while only ever listening to Pablo Honey is OK it would not be OK for that same person to go around talking about the influences and style of the band in general or even worse, saying the band has gone off rails or is bad. In those cases I do think it's valid to question such a person.
So, tl;Dr? Guy just wanna watch anime? Cool. Guy wants to make videos or whatever generalizing solely on anime? Not so cool.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Indeed that is the issue, which this comic touches on. That those who haven’t played the original are not only lesser but not to be taken seriously, even as relates to the anime adaptations, even on matters like recommending a jumping on point to the anime adaptations or a reviewer critiquing the anime. If one were having a discussion about the original, perhaps that sort of attitude would be warranted, but when that extends to any and all discussions of the franchise, it becomes the sort of elitism this comic is trying to satirize.
The problem is that the Fate lore and most of the details of the plot and characters are condensed to such a degree in the adaptations, that when the "secondaries" want to argue or make points about it they are usually uninformed or mistaken. It's like when you're supposed to read a book to discuss it in class, and someone shows up only having seen the film adaptation.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
^Again, it would be one thing if it were just in discussions of the original, but when it extends even to discussions of the anime, it just seems like elitism. To use your metaphor, it would be like if you’re discussing a film in class, and someone starts shouting that people that haven’t read the book that the film was based on aren’t qualified to discuss the film, and that those people’s opinions on the film should not be taken seriously. I also don’t see how your metaphor is applicable to the situation of recommending a good jumping on point to the anime to a newcomer who is interested in the anime.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
My first taste of Fate was with Fate Zero many years ago while recovering from surgery (liked it). Watched the Deen F/SN (didn't like it), UBW, read the visual novel (liked it) and watched UBW (liked it better this time) and Zero again.
Watching it a second time, I caught some references I missed before and also I realized Zero is mostly garbage. It has its good points, but most of the characters are flat and uninteresting.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero is the only Fate that matters. Just read the wikis for F/SN if you're curious about that dumpster fire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4