• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Detective Conan Manga Fan Creates 'Must Read' Volume List

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Volume 7: Includes "Piano Sonata Moonlight Incident." The list author notes that this volume isn't necessary, but enough people like this plot line that they might get mad if they left it out.

That was my thought originally as well, but I later decided it was definitely worth a look by just about any fan due to a case later on retconning that story to be one of the most significant character development incidents for Conan in the entire series.

Quote:
Volumes 25-26: Resurrection series and the return of Kudo for awhile. The list author indicates these could be skipped.

It should probably be mentioned that skipping that arc pretty much means you don't care at all about the Shinichi/Ran dynamic, and therefore all the later volumes that are only included due to developments to that could pretty much be skipped as well. So volumes 71, 72, and 87 (this last one was separately noted for skippability anyway). Not so for 94, however, as there were actually bigger reasons that story mattered that had nothing to do with their relationship that aren't mentioned in your translation (also, they didn't go on that trip alone).

All this having been said, this actually isn't a very good way to organize that sort of list. You see, cases very often bleed over across volumes, most of the time in fact. Picking up any one of those volumes immediately after a skipped volume will start you off smack in the middle of a case with no point of reference. As such, for a list of "Must Read" volumes to work, it would also need to tell you which chapter you should start with once you open each volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
That was my thought originally as well, but I later decided it was definitely worth a look by just about any fan due to a case later on retconning that story to be one of the most significant character development incidents for Conan in the entire series.

Do you mean spoiler[Conan's regret over not being able to prevent the culprit from committing suicide and refusing to let it happen again?]

Quote:
It should probably be mentioned that skipping that arc pretty much means you don't care at all about the Shinichi/Ran dynamic, and therefore all the later volumes that are only included due to developments to that could pretty much be skipped as well.

You may as well not even read Conan if you don't care about the characters. The BO stuff is secondary to the characters and their lives and developments, like the police love triangle, Heiji and Kazuha, and all the side characters growing over the series. Only reading the Black Organization chapters is a terrible way to experience Conan.

And given the way the series is written, seemingly insignificant things can turn out to be hugely relevant later on, like the running joke about Yumi's ex boyfriend.
XerBlade
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
XerBlade wrote:

Do you mean spoiler[Conan's regret over not being able to prevent the culprit from committing suicide and refusing to let it happen again?]

Yep.
Chester McCool wrote:

Quote:
It should probably be mentioned that skipping that arc pretty much means you don't care at all about the Shinichi/Ran dynamic, and therefore all the later volumes that are only included due to developments to that could pretty much be skipped as well.

You may as well not even read Conan if you don't care about the characters. The BO stuff is secondary to the characters and their lives and developments, like the police love triangle, Heiji and Kazuha, and all the side characters growing over the series. Only reading the Black Organization chapters is a terrible way to experience Conan.

My thoughts exactly, but at the same time, I don't like to be one of those gatekeeping a-holes who tries to tell other people they are "fan"ning wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the green death

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I’m only about 9 volumes in but I like this series a lot. That said it appears this list is like 70% of the whole series and I might as well just keep reading through volume by volume than only pick up the important ones!
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I've been compiling episodes from the anime in this same fashion, but I have a separate list of episodes that might be relevant later(I'm personally only just past the clash of Red and Black). I also include episodes that connect to movies and other content, as well as specials that were considered hype episodes by staff and fans alike.

To be honest, the Moonlight Sonata case is one of my favorite stand-alone cases, partially because it's my favorite popular classical piece, but also because it's got such an emotional twist/climax. I don't really know any other Conan fans, so I'm surprised to see it's a fan-favorite in general.
XerBlade
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I've been compiling episodes from the anime in this same fashion,

My current most popular web endeavor (but not my most popular of all time, I removed that one years ago for complex philosophical reasons that I only ever spoke of in detail privately to some of my most active followers) is literally just a single page on my personal website where I did exactly that for the anime. And I wasn't even close to the first person to do it publicly, I was just more detailed than any of the previous public lists (and kept it more up to date than most). You really never know what's going to take off.

Juno016 wrote:
but I have a separate list of episodes that might be relevant later(I'm personally only just past the clash of Red and Black).

By the way, you really never know what's going to become relevant later. Aoyama has a way of pulling the tiniest details out as secret pieces to the larger puzzle at much, much later dates.
And note I wasn't even thinking of the Clash of Red and Black when saying that just now, but that series is positively filled with tiny, seemingly insignificant clues that won't pay off until close to 300 episodes later.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
@XerBlade

I won't claim expertise, but I have a good track record with mystery stories and Conan is usually pretty good at foreshadowing. By that, I mean there are certain visual tips that clue us in, some of which are done specifically because if they weren't, it could easily become sloppy writing. One of the biggest, most obvious signs, is how intuitive Conan is. He's more than just a character, but also a living arrow for these things. Some of the biggest twists (spoiler[Vermouth's disguise, the suspicious characters being part of the FBI or CIA instead of the organization, how Eisuke was innocent, or early on, with the hints of organization members]) were suspected by him early on. Even if the twists weren't clear yet, the fact that they would be part of something bigger was more apparent than not. The episodes I keep on my side list sometimes turn out to be less important than initially thought, but the episodes that turn out to be important do tend to come from that list. I actually think Aoyama flips hints early on for everything, but doesn't always use everything he hints. It's almost there for insurance, in case he needs it. He rarely rushes things along just because he has so much.

I've studied manga and detective mysteries in quite a bit of detail because I want to write my own someday. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm patting my own back because I'm not always right, but a lot of it has become intuitive to me. On a smaller scale, I also keep track of my successes when it comes to canon stories. I'm less accurate at solving anime filler cases, but those (and a few manga chapters) tend to be clunkier as written mysteries, with the biggest culprit being the "I just pulled this decisive piece of evidence from behind the camera", a bad pacing habit that Aoyama puts careful consideration into avoiding. He's a master of the Chekov's gun.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
The breakdown by volume versus by chapter is a weird mistake. In any case, I don't think this is a very useful idea for first time readers. You'll simply be missing way too much of the Detective Conan experience and it won't be nearly as good.

However, I've actually used a chapter breakdown someone else made to simply review the series. I didn't want to reread the whole series, but at one point I got pretty rusty on the overarching plot. An important chapter guide was super useful in that case!
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
The breakdown by volume versus by chapter is a weird mistake. In any case, I don't think this is a very useful idea for first time readers. You'll simply be missing way too much of the Detective Conan experience and it won't be nearly as good.

However, I've actually used a chapter breakdown someone else made to simply review the series. I didn't want to reread the whole series, but at one point I got pretty rusty on the overarching plot. An important chapter guide was super useful in that case!

If you're searching chapter by chapter, magazine by magazine, then chapter guides would be nice. This is volume by volume because this is how most people catch up to manga in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1