• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
^
You've already drawn the parallels between this part of the story and Bleach. Just continue those comparisons and you'll more or less have the answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
You've already drawn the parallels between this part of the story and Bleach. Just continue those comparisons and you'll more or less have the answer.

So you mean we'll take a totally non-canon beach trip? Or a multi-episode arc where the show focuses on side characters who ultimately accomplish nothing of consequence in the story?

ba dum tssh
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
^I would laugh my XX off if they did that! Maybe we'll get the next best thing "bath scene". Ep17 is already straining my credulity, who knew Kirito was not only OP but an acrobat? This Ep subtitle should be "do you mind if we just hang out?" Surprised
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Anyone keep count how many times they recycled Kirito's pole vault animation?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the only thing Alicization's anime has lived up to in the SAO franchise is having some pretty sweet chords drop in fight sequences. The actual fight choreography seems to generally consist of a small handful of stilted moves, and the fight animation always come off as unpleasantly choppy (and constituted of 1-3 impressively goofy, uninteresting "super moves" instead've, you know, an actual fight), rather than fluid, dynamic, extended, and engaging. *Cue Kirito spinning sword in circle gif*

And the story seems to mostly consist of the author obsessing over how well he can fit standard fantasy tropes into standard sysadmin terms. Because.. well, I'm not really sure why that was supposed to be a good idea, but here we are.

Mm. I suppose it's also still rather pretty - maybe a cut above most SAO entries in the artwork, though still not exactly a standout.

I was excited by the first few episodes, though, and thought at least the fight scenes would be compelling. Kind've disappointed at where we've ended up.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Anyone keep count how many times they recycled Kirito's pole vault animation?

Is there a reason they should be different? Why would you redo work for a repetitive action within the same scene in the same setting? It would be one thing to reuse animation in separate scenes without consideration to it fits into the rest of the elements in the scene, but that is clearly not the case here. On a tv production schedule, they have to save time where they can, and I’d rather they spend it where it counts, rather than on making each time he performs a repetitive action in the same place (plus a couple feet) different.

@NeverConvex I think you are also being a bit unfair in regards to the animation as well. I thought the fights with Fanatio and Alice were well done and not choppy or consisting solely of “1-3 impressively goofy uninteresting ‘super moves’” (it’s a bit late, so I won’t link the particular sequences I would highlight at this time). No, it’s not on the same level as say Mob Psycho or perhaps even Ordinal Scale(‘s action scenes), but few things are animated like the former and the latter is a movie.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
I agree the Fanatio and Alice fights were a bit more than my description, but I don't think the difference between them and my hyperbole was really all that large.

Maybe my expectations are too high, though, as I do picture shows like MHA or Mob Psycho when imagining genuinely great fight scenes. For some reason I remembered even the original SAO having better fight scenes than this, but maybe I'm just wrong on that count?

Although, to take a separate tack -- the SAO franchise surely has made quite a lot of money at this point. Is there a reason it shouldn't be capable of producing top-tier fight animation and choreography now?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
^
I was having trouble sleeping one night last week, so I went back and rewatched a few episodes of the Aincrad arc. Except for maybe the Skull Reaper fight, the key action scenes didn't impress me quite as much this time around. I still consider the Gleam Eyes fight to be one of the better ones for dramatic staging, but the actual animation of it isn't that impressive.

And if you want to see top-tier SAO animation, it's the boss fight in Ordinal Scale. But, admittedly, that is on a movie budget.

(And I'm a bit miffed that you aren't including DanMachi in your list of source for "genuinely great fight scenes." The franchise has multiple that are deserving.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Key wrote:
^

So you mean we'll take a totally non-canon beach trip? Or a multi-episode arc where the show focuses on side characters who ultimately accomplish nothing of consequence in the story?

ba dum tssh

If Leafa and Klein take a quest to investigate a haunted onsenn in some back corner of Aincrad I'm out.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I was having trouble sleeping one night last week, so I went back and rewatched a few episodes of the Aincrad arc....the actual animation of it isn't that impressive.
(And I'm a bit miffed that you aren't including DanMachi in your list of source for "genuinely great fight scenes." The franchise has multiple that are deserving.)

Well, it was a rather hurried and non-exhaustive list. Razz In any event, maybe I'm just remembering the original Aincrad arc as having better fight scenes than it did. I'll have to go back and look a few of them up on Youtube...
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Even though it was clear from the beginning that they won't just unceremoneously fall off the tower, I still felt waves of vertigo watching this episode!
So no matter how unrealistic the whole balancing on a pole and swinging your partner up the wall with a chain might be, the producers must have done something good in these scenes...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
OK, why is there a giant bath on floor 90?? Also taken by how silly the conversation between Bercouli and Eugeo is, sort of like DC/Marvel comics sequences, but in the end this is trumped by the second evil clown from nowhere this season (looking at Shield Hero). Does this Ep count as a "light (humorous) filler between epic fights"? It's a little hard to take seriously...
zenbud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I agree the Fanatio and Alice fights were a bit more than my description, but I don't think the difference between them and my hyperbole was really all that large.

Maybe my expectations are too high, though, as I do picture shows like MHA or Mob Psycho when imagining genuinely great fight scenes. For some reason I remembered even the original SAO having better fight scenes than this, but maybe I'm just wrong on that count?

Although, to take a separate tack -- the SAO franchise surely has made quite a lot of money at this point. Is there a reason it shouldn't be capable of producing top-tier fight animation and choreography now?

Because it's not about money, it's about the schedule, staff for main positions and also talent available at the time for key animators and animators
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it introduces maybe the single most obnoxious character in the entire franchise.
God, this prick was insufferable. I get what Kawahara was going for, but really, Chudelkin's not even fun to watch or interesting. If you're making a hate sink, either make them charismatic or dispose of them quickly.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I know it wasn't exactly the same, but I like that the DIO "Za Warudo" sound effect has apparently become the go-to sound for time manipulation in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13