• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Run with the Wind

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I am a bit confused here. Didn't one of the twins (yeah, even at the end of the series they are still indistinguishable) said
in his ekiden pov segment that he wasn't that much into running and thus was done after this race? And wasnt this supposed to be the one thing that got us to acknowledge they were at least different persons? So why are both of them still in the team after the time skip?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 am Reply with quote
Ahhh I can't believe it's over. I was almost dreading watching the last episode, I wish we could spend more time with these characters. I actually screamed when Haiji's injury started acting up so close to the goal.

Having Kakeru and Haiji run the last two sections was a beautiful way to wrap up the story that also began with the two of them.It's a wonderful parallel, of a story that began with Kakeru running away from Haiji, and ends with Kakeru waiting as Haiji runs towards him. Even if it wasn't the author's intention, the romantic undertones in how they see each other as the essence of what running should be were very hard to miss.

I'm happy they were all able to find their answers through running the Ekiden. I'm particularly weak to epilogues in which the cast gets together after a few years to see the demolition of a place that was important to all of them. It's very heartwarming to see they've kept in touch even though they were teammates for a very short time, shows the depth of the bond they built.

My only regret is that Production I.G. didn't give this show the promotion and advertising it deserved. It almost flew under my radar at the start of the Fall season, and I'm really glad I picked it up, it's definitely one of the strongest shows of both seasons it ran (ha!)

meiam wrote:

the team that was in 16th position just magically went up 8 place with there strongest one and an half member left (Kakeru said he was 10th and later on he caught up to two more runners).

Maybe if you had paid attention to the actual information of the show instead of making assumptions based on your preconception that the show was "bending reality", you could've reached the conclusion that Kakeru individually was tenth, but the team wasn't. In fact we are never told the team's position throughout episode 22. And just at the start of 23 we learn that Kakeru -their fastest runner who even broke a section record- couldn't even get them to top 10. They barely scraped by to that position at the end of the race, and at the cost of Haiji's future as a runner. But go on, keep waffling about how the show is unrealistic and distorting reality based on your complete lack of understanding of the facts.

In your own words:

Quote:
Well that hasn't aged very well

Wink[/quote]
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I am a bit confused here. Didn't one of the twins (yeah, even at the end of the series they are still indistinguishable) said
in his ekiden pov segment that he wasn't that much into running and thus was done after this race? And wasnt this supposed to be the one thing that got us to acknowledge they were at least different persons? So why are both of them still in the team after the time skip?

Because people change their minds?

A lot happened between his run and the end of the show after all.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
People do "change their minds," but it was still a rather thematically abrupt about-face, and a bit awkward given there wasn't any time in the show to really build up and explore that change of heart.

Enjoyed the finale, though. Felt like Haiji's self-injury was taken more seriously by the show than Shindo's self-destructive sick-run. In general it seemed like the show mostly recovered its poise after leaving the sick-Shindo arc behind, and closed pretty strong.

I did have trouble getting as hyped for Fujioka versus Kakeru as I would have liked, given they weren't literally physically racing side-by-side, but it's hard to see what reasonable choices they could have made to engineer that. (I might have liked a Mario Kart-esque Fujioka-ghost competing with Kakeru, now that I think about it.)
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Because people change their minds?

A lot happened between his run and the end of the show after all.

of course people can change their mind, but when it comes to proper storytelling they just can't do it off camera and out of nowhere. if he was going to change his mind anyways then why would the writing spend time show casing that reflection of him in particular. this doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the show any bit, but I just found it weird, and was legitimately asking if I had missed anything
Rednimue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
For those who have read the novel, how much material was omitted from the anime (the ending in particular) and how many episodes would It take to be completely adapted eventually ?
MF65

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
Man, that was good. I don't think I could've asked for a more satisfying ending. The way all the characters grew so much over these 23 episodes and, in particular, how Haiji and Kakeru's relationship evolved... It was beautiful to watch. Production IG definitely got their "Kings of Sport anime" throne back after the dud that was Welcome to the Ballroom.

I'm so glad I didn't have to see Haiji suffering throughout his entire section and instead we got to watch his love letter to running and his team. And I know I've fangirled over the soundtrack before, but by the time Haiji sees Kakeru waiting for him at the finish line and the chanting kicks in I just started bawling my eyes out (it's track nr 23 "Summit" of Disc 2 on the OST, for those interested). Overall, this anime was a very comfy watch for the past few months. Into my top 5 it goes.
Rednimue wrote:
For those who have read the novel, how much material was omitted from the anime (the ending in particular) and how many episodes would It take to be completely adapted eventually ?

I haven't read the novel, but I did read some spoilers here and there. The novel's ending is a bit more bittersweet, even though the "consequences" and the time skip end up being the same. Basically, Haiji's knee gives in closer to the beginning of his section, so he pretty much has to crawl to the finish line. They end last, Kakeru never really finds the "meaning" of running and Haiji can never run again. However, he's happy that he got to complete the Hakone marathon and has no regrets. He also goes on to becoming a coach, just like in the anime version.
Then there's some small things that were changed. Off the top of my head I can remember that they qualified for the Ekiden in 8th, not 10th. The novel also makes a bigger deal of the parallel between Kakeru's attitude towards Prince in the first half and his high school coach's attitude toward his runners (like, Kakeru himself realizes he's acting and thinking the same way his coach did). Kakeru and Sakaki patch things up before Kakeru starts running his section. And the biggest change is the romance plotline because the one who has a crush on Hana-Chan is... Kakeru Laughing (though she still likes the twins in the novel, I think). So, even if the author is a known BL fan, I think the connection between Haiji and Kakeru feels a lot stronger in the anime because the folks at Production IG decided to omit that particular storyline. I don't mind the changes, tbh. Especially regarding Haiji's suffering. Since he can't do what he loves most anymore, at least the changes in the anime allowed him to go out with a bang.
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Easy: Hana. She became the manager of the track team, so no way he was going to leave her alone with his lil bro lol
Jokes aside, I admit I did think the same thing. The only thing I can fault KazeTsuyo for his how underdeveloped the twins were. It's a shame since every other character in the team is just so good. But I honestly still don't care enough for either of them to let that little detail bother me, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13