• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
Top 3:
1. Babylon
2. Beastars
3. Stars Align
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
@Cam0

You remembered it correctly.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
^Well, that makes sense, i suppose. Thanks for the explanation, guys.

In other news, Stars Align looks pretty intriguing. I wouldn't have checked it out if it wasn't for the preview guide since i'm not a big fan of sports anime, but now i'm hooked.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Shaping up to be another busy season for me. I’m continuing with Dr. Stone and Fire Force, plus there are several returning shows: MHA, Chihayafuru, Kono Oto Tomare, Food Wars and maybe Psycho-Pass (after season 2, gonna wait and see with this one).

As for the new stuff, in no particular order . . .

Special 7: I think Rebecca’s spot-on with this one—there’s going to be something “special” about Seiji that enabled him to survive. If the world-building pans out, this could be a very engaging show. Fingers crossed.

Stand My Heroes: I’m used to hand-waiving some sexism to watch anime but if those pretty boys call her “girl” one more time . . . but . . . but . . . they’re soooo pretty! (And taking off the high heels—is that the new cutting of the hair?)

Demon School: Kind of watched with my arms crossed, thinking “nope, too young, not for me” but by the end it won me over. Just lots of fun.

Babylon: This. This is my jam. I’m trying hard to save the next two eps to watch weekly, but they’re calling me . . .

Blade of the Immortal: Atmospheric, moody and violent (but not torturously so). I love the whole feel of the show. I’m in.

Bookworm: I know some found it boring but this is exactly how I’d be in her shoes. I can totally relate to being that obsessive about books. I want to see how it unfolds.

Chuuni Boys, Val x Love, Z/X, Jet Girls: I don’t know what the deal is with HIDIVE vs Apple but it pisses me off that half the shows in my watchlist are blocked on Apple devices so, after Maidens and Wasteful Days finished, I dropped the service. Judging by this season’s roster, I’m not sorry.

Stars Align: I was expecting a lightweight sports show with middling animation but, boy oh boy, that last scene! Everything Nick said. Like watching a horror movie—I’m yelling at the TV, “Don’t open the door!” I’m totally hooked.

Kabukichou Sherlock: I was so looking forward to this one—I’m a sucker for all things Sherlock—but, yeesh, that was hard to watch. What the hell, man?

No Guns Life: He has a gun for a head! He has a gun!! For a head!!! How can I not watch?
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Assassin's Life was the funniest premier I've watched this season. From the constant dramatic....pauses being inserted where the camera just stares at girls legs for several seconds to give the animators a break, to the main character dolefully pronouncing "Assassin's Pride" and "My Lady" in English, to the amazing names for the main characters, the reviewers were 100% correct that this is peak chuuni. When the main girl thanks her maids in the end (of course there are maids) and it turns out one of them is named Nietzsche, I just lost it.

Quality top tier comedy stuff. I doubt 12 episodes of the show will be as entertaining as 1 brief episode of unintended(?) self-parody was, but at least it was fun while it lasted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
True Cooking Master Boy -
It’s both a sequel and a remake. This episode is a remake of the 20th episode in the original series. I’m guessing they’re remaking the episodes from episode 20 onwards. I love the ED. Brian the Sun are the best.

Unfortunately there’s no legal way to watch the original. If you want to see Mao take the Super Chef exam and how he met Mei Li and Shirou then you’ll have to go elsewhere to watch it.

I couldn’t be bothered watching Kabukicho Sherlock as I’m exhausted. I’ll leave that for tomorrow. I’ll dedicate Fridays to Cooking Master Boy.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
When the main girl thanks her maids in the end (of course there are maids) and it turns out one of them is named Nietzsche, I just lost it.

That part felt like the strongest indicator that this could be a stealth parody. The main characters' names are super melodramatic, but there's a sort of logic behind them, at least. Naming a side-character Nietzsche for no apparent reason--and not mentioning this until the post-credits scene, and acting like it's totally unremarkable--seems almost like a wink-nudge thing. I'm gonna have to watch a few more episodes just to figure out what this show's game is.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
When the main girl thanks her maids in the end (of course there are maids) and it turns out one of them is named Nietzsche, I just lost it.

That part felt like the strongest indicator that this could be a stealth parody. The main characters' names are super melodramatic, but there's a sort of logic behind them, at least. Naming a side-character Nietzsche for no apparent reason--and not mentioning this until the post-credits scene, and acting like it's totally unremarkable--seems almost like a wink-nudge thing. I'm gonna have to watch a few more episodes just to figure out what this show's game is.

Quick google-fu to check around, since this is an adaptation and not original work, and there's no sign that this is a parody. I supposed the anime could be a parody where the original work is serious, but I can't see an author ever giving the okay to that "yes, go ahead and make fun of my work". If there's one thing the last years of anime have taught us it's that when you think you've seen the worse that light novel writing can get, something worse is just hiding around the corner.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Dangit Japan, I don't know which fetishization of the guns you can't have to be sicker. The anthropomorphism of guns as in Upotte or the "gunnifying" of humanoids in No Guns Life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quick google-fu to check around, since this is an adaptation and not original work, and there's no sign that this is a parody. I supposed the anime could be a parody where the original work is serious, but I can't see an author ever giving the okay to that "yes, go ahead and make fun of my work".

Which would be exactly why, if the anime staff couldn't resist making fun of it, they'd have to be subtle about it. A certain other light novel adaptation this season completely mutilates the source material without even trying to hide it, so this may not be as implausible as you think.

...I mean, realistically, it's probably just bad writing, but at this point I average about one show per season that I genuinely like. Schlocky stuff can sometimes be entertaining in its own, uh, unique way.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
...I mean, realistically, it's probably just bad writing, but at this point I average about one show per season that I genuinely like. Schlocky stuff can sometimes be entertaining in its own, uh, unique way.
As a fellow lover of trashy fun, I get where you are coming from. I think that one strong thing in the show's favor is how much it commits to its own schlock. I'm always a little more kindly disposed to a show that knows what it is and just tries to be the best version of that, no bullshit or self-conscious "deconstruction". In this case I find the results hilarious, but also sort of endearing.

I mean I legitimately laughed more during that episode than in any other premiere so far, even the ones that are supposed to be comedies. And despite many of the laughs being at the show as opposed to with it, I don't hate the show at all, unlike some other anime I've laughed at in my time. I hope it ends up being that entertaining the whole way through, I doubt it, but if ANN ends up getting the votes to review it I will definitely check in with the show each week to see how it goes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
Could someone explain why the official English title for Kabukichō Sherlock is Case File nº221: Kabukichō? And why number is abbreviated as 'nº' instead of 'No.'? What does the degree symbol signify? Or is it supposed to be a superscript 'o', and if so, why? And why no space before the 221? According to the Encyclopedia, the Japanese titles are Kabukichō Sherlock in English, or with Kabukichō in kanji and Sherlock in katakana.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
Theron is pretty close to on point for kabukicho sherlock. I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I feel like they had a really hard time writing that first episode. I think 1 (maybe two) more episodes will confirm things but this show just really feels all over the place right now in terms of what it wants its identity to actually be.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
Also as a side note just saw no guns life and its fricken cool. Madhouse does it again. The artwork is nice but also gritty and the story seems pretty good too. Cat wait for the simuldub of it.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
No guns life: Tetsuro!!!!! It was fine, I wish the fight scene was better, hate gunfight that boil down to "this super assassin constantly miss someone that's 2 meter away from them".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17