• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Character Gets Name Change Following Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
To me, it sounds like he knew the reference and such, but did not think this would blow up to be so negative. Like a tidbit thing than bad intentions. Still, its good that he's changing the name. I'm hoping that this would give some in Japan to find more sources about the event since its not being taught there well.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't think a name needs to be changed for referencing history since constant censorship of past historical atrocities will just cause us to forget history and repeat it. As a Filipino, I wouldn't mind if a character was named Bataan Death March, especially if said character was, you know, evil with a capital E which happens to be the case. That said, changing a name because people are misinterpreting it is fair game; don't want people misinterpreting what you're trying to say in art after all.

This is a manga spoiler, but basically, the name sort of fits because spoiler[it's demonstrated that Nomu have multiple quirks because corpses of people who had those quirks in life were experimented on and grafted together. It's also demonstrated that they may have residual memories of their time back when they were alive, though inhuman things were implied to have been done to make them either braindead or brainwashed]. So yeah, Evil.
Sukottosan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:04 am Reply with quote
This is why we can't have nice things
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 am Reply with quote
kogamisdad wrote:
Both characters in the anime have the exact same voice actor in both Japanese and English. That would be a hell of a coincidence for them to both look the same and sound the same and not be the same character.

While that does lend more weight, it could also just be a casting decision completely unaware of what the author is planning.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
As a Filipino, I wouldn't mind if a character was named Bataan Death March, especially if said character was, you know, evil with a capital E which happens to be the case.

Just because you wouldn't mind it, doesn't mean no-one would or that they would be in the wrong for objecting. In this instance, not being a member of one of the ethnicities that were the major victims of Unit 731 (possibly having relatives who were direct victims), I can't say that they're unjustified in reacting how they have. Referencing, say, the Kokoda Trail or the Bombing of Darwin I could speak on, but honestly those pale in comparison to Unit 731 so even if I were to say "not a big deal" if a manga referenced one of those, it wouldn't have any real bearing on this case.
Krunky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
As a Filipino, I wouldn't mind if a character was named Bataan Death March, especially if said character was, you know, evil with a capital E which happens to be the case.

Just because you wouldn't mind it, doesn't mean no-one would or that they would be in the wrong for objecting. In this instance, not being a member of one of the ethnicities that were the major victims of Unit 731 (possibly having relatives who were direct victims), I can't say that they're unjustified in reacting how they have. Referencing, say, the Kokoda Trail or the Bombing of Darwin I could speak on, but honestly those pale in comparison to Unit 731 so even if I were to say "not a big deal" if a manga referenced one of those, it wouldn't have any real bearing on this case.

Except he wasn't referencing that incident and he never intended for that to be the case. Why are people missing this point? This entire "outrage" is based on people's misconception and Japanese readers have gone out their way to explain this but are constantly being shut out by Korean and Chinese readers, the fact that they are still harassing him after his apology and decision to change the name and going as far as to remove the series from Chinese platforms despite its popularity means that this has gone beyond a name and want to make it about something else entirely.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I'm hoping that this would give some in Japan to find more sources about the event since its not being taught there well.

The issue is more complicated than that. Japan has acknowledged and apologized for their war crimes many times, as well as having them being taught in curriculum. The problem is it's not enough for some Chinese and Korean protesters. When they say it's not taught well enough, they mean it's not it's own dedicated history book and required course students are required to take every year like a dog getting its nose rubbed into the carpet it peed on. A lot of these people harbor outright racist anti-Japanese views, what with routinely burning Japanese flags and effigies of Japanese leaders while chanting for for blood tributes. In Korea, Japanese media was banned until the 2000s, and after anime, video games, and other stuff started becoming popular with the youth, this led to the older generations and racists calling their youth race traitors. That's a kind of hatred that can never be sated short of complete subjugation or outright destruction, so it's best not to even humor it. Most of the younger generations in each country have moved on and made amends.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
It may seem strange but there is a difference between naming a villain after a villain and naming a villain after the victimhood.
One could name a villain after Mengele and get away with it- because you're naming a perpetrator of evil after the same. But name a villain Judenrein or some term for the victims and you are insulting the victims and will be seen as in bad taste.

But it does seem true that lingering national hatred that goes beyond the implied initial insult is fueling the continued outrage here,

It isn't Horikoshi's fault that Japan's official stance on their war atrocities continues to be one of downplaying to outright denial but he's being punished for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
This is so stupid and unnecessarily

The guy is portrayed as evil guy in the anime. There is no reason to change his name.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
Where was this outrage when Hajime Isayama modeled one of the good guys in AOT after an Imperial General who invaded Korea?
Krunky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Where was this outrage when Hajime Isayama modeled one of the good guys in AOT after an Imperial General who invaded Korea?

Yep and he also spoke out for it. The series is ban in China and Korea as a result.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
If your entire life involves Twitter, then a Twitter mob will be very effective on you..

Unless you're the 45th President Of The United States.
President Trump is immune to a lot of things. Like aging, the guy's over 70 and pretty much no one is questioning his health.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's a coincidence but they'll NEVER apologies properly because doing so would require admitting that they committed crimes.
Nothing that may hurt "their glorious honor".
RealMTL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty dark history for a name. I don't the author meant any harm but this doesn't seem like it was an accident either.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Uuh... isn't that thumbnail a spoiler for the anime-watchers?
Because... yeah...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9