• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how some people are saying ToG gives you an infodump when from my pov,it barely gives you any details into what's going on(People want to climb the tower,Bam wants to find Rachel and he is an Irregular which hasn't been explained yet)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
As a long time reader of the webtoon, I can adequately say this story [Tower of God] has many facets, and to say it could run 5-10 seasons (depending on how many episodes they do per season) is not understating things.

As for the anime adaptation, I can see why viewers would be confused, but the webtoon often repeats information, and with this pace it feels like we're only learning as Bam learns of the tower.

I know the first episode wasn't the most spectacular, but I'd recommend that viewers give it at least 2-3 more episodes to really start to take off.

[EDIT: Added indicator about what series you're talking about. Please remember that responses to all titles feed back into the same response thread, so always include the title of what you're referring to. - Key]
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Kakushigoto and, while I don't think it's as good as Kumeta's other works (I think sometimes it's hard to transpose his stuff to anime without it being too full on. Shaft managed to balance it with SZS because their approach was just as wacky), it was still enjoyable. The animation and colours were nice, and I really liked the skit inside the Starbucks, and how Hime would get interrupted every time she was about to say "Starbucks".
Plus, the relationship between Kakushi and Hime is just really cute. It really is refreshing to have a family/daughter anime that is just a proper family show, and isn't going to be some creepy shit.
The opening scene and OP made me a bit scared though, what with Kakushi being absent in the intro scene, and him disappearing when Hime gets older in the OP..........
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
As much as it suck that anime are getting shorter, I've been re watching older anime lately (shock, almost like I'm locked home with nothing to do) and it feel like committees would just green light literally anything with a minimum of 24 episodes, regardless of whether or not it needed it. I didn't realize at the time but some show had glacial pace.

I've had a similar thought on a number of occasions, especially when watching original anime series which debuted in the late '90s or early 2000s. I could name a few off the top of my head that were 24-26 episodes but probably only actually needed 2/3 or less of that for their plot, so a common pattern to see was a series killing time on mostly trivial or episodic content for several early episodes before the plot finally kicks into high gear around the one-third mark. Much rarer to see that happens these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Noticed that Crunchyroll over promoted Tower of God -- A LOT... while Crunchyroll lose most of spring animes to Funimation including Kaguya-Sama season 2. CrunchyFlop.

Agree 110%.

I've only watched one premiere so far - the 1st episode of Idolish7 S2. It still does well what it did well in S1. The people who are watching it are watching it, so not much more to introduce here. Everyone who finished S1 definitely check out S2!
Kirki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
I've only watched Tower of God so far and it doesn't deserve its hype yet. It's overloaded with information but in essence it remains very simplistic, and we have characters that the show screams are important but we know nothing of yet so they remain indifferent blank slates, (Bam) if not outright obnoxious (Yuri).

Everyone who has read it says it gets much better so it must be, but I'll wait until word is out to decide if I'll check it up again.

Kakushigoto seems like it has an interesting or potentially funny premise, but since it's from the guy who wrote Sayonara Zetsubou sensei I already know I will not like it so I don't think I'll ever bother checking it.

Mostly waiting for the continuations (Oregairu, Shokugeki, Kaguya) but there are other interesting ideas this season and I hope some will land.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Re: Listeners, I don't know how many more times I'm willing to watch a show fail to capture Eureka Seven's magic. Especially since Eureka Seven also failed to capture that magic for a significant portion of its runtime.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
So if I picked up on the story right Bungo and Alchemist is basically an anime based on that one episode of Fairly Odd Parents when Tom Sawyer decides to mess with other books?
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So in Bungo Alchemist they say the main theme of Run, Melos! is "believing" but I thought for sure it was "friendship". Melos comes back to save his friend, the tyrant king is swayed by their beautiful friendship, Melos friend even says he doubted Melos would come back. Also Dazai not winning a contest were Haruo was one among several judges isn't a betrayal.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Some of the stuff that came out was crazy, production IG has a tons of show where it feel like every 2 episodes had the same production value as your average show nowadays and I can't figure out how it even got green lighted much less given 2 cour, like real drive or ghost hound.

Both those shows involved high-profile writers and directors with concepts by Shirow Masamune of GiTS fame. Ghost Hound was written by the well-respected Chiaki J. Konaka. I don't know that many directors or writers have the same amount of clout these days except perhaps for Akiyuki Simbo and Studio SHAFT and, maybe, Yuasa Maasaki, though he apparently is stepping down as head of Science SARU. Even someone as prestigious as Akane Kazuki could not convince his production committee to green-light the second half of Stars Align.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wave, Listen to Me

Quote:
But as justified in her anger as Minare is, the fact of the matter is that we're basically listening to her yell for a half-hour, and that gets old really fast.

I have to agree with Rebecca here. It got old for me a little over half way through. Not sure I need to watch another installment.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Some of the stuff that came out was crazy, production IG has a tons of show where it feel like every 2 episodes had the same production value as your average show nowadays and I can't figure out how it even got green lighted much less given 2 cour, like real drive or ghost hound.

Both those shows involved high-profile writers and directors with concepts by Shirow Masamune of GiTS fame. Ghost Hound was written by the well-respected Chiaki J. Konaka. I don't know that many directors or writers have the same amount of clout these days except perhaps for Akiyuki Simbo and Studio SHAFT and, maybe, Yuasa Maasaki, though he apparently is stepping down as head of Science SARU. Even someone as prestigious as Akane Kazuki could not convince his production committee to green-light the second half of Stars Align.

Even if you have a big name attached to it, the production committee really should have realize that neither of these story would ever amount to much (at least not enough to justify 2 cour run time). I never saw numbers, but considering I literally never hear about those show despite the ludicrous production value and being production IG show, I'm guessing they bombed pretty hard with both critique and public (I did somewhat enjoy ghost hound).

Haven't watched Listeners, but I'm suprised there's not a single macross mention in the preview write up... I have ambivalent view of eureka 7, loved the world, animation and the music but the character were insufferable (especially Renton) and story was so-so (another show that could have used a serious tightening of the story, although that would have probably ended up with them cutting stuff that weren't directly related to the story, like Ray and Charles, which were the best part of the show). So considering Listener essentially only keep the stuff I dislike and dumb the rest, I'm not holding my breath.

Between wave and sing yesterday for me, this is the season of the "I can't believe they adapted these manga". Wave should benefit from an adaptation since it's most of the story is around radio, which is hard to translate well into print form.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Wave, Listen to Me

Did Umetsu get fired? Those are his character designs, definitely, but it doesn't list him on the Encyclopedia page. I mean, you can also see a bit of the guy who did Mitsuboshi Colors (who IS the listed character designer) but it definitely looks like he had to finish an unfinished draft.

I like it though. I'll have to resist reading it up on Crunchyroll manga... or is it one of those series that has the first book and the most recent chapters but nothing in the middle as a strategy to get you to buy the series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
I really don't see how some people are saying ToG gives you an infodump when from my pov,it barely gives you any details into what's going on(People want to climb the tower,Bam wants to find Rachel and he is an Irregular which hasn't been explained yet)

That's the problem. It dumps a bunch of exposition and other random info with no details or context to explain it. It's like me saying "heat it up for 5 minutes and it will be ready". Your natural questions would be "heat what up?" "What will be ready?" "Why am I doing it?"
And I give you nothing.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Wave, Listen to MeI like it though. I'll have to resist reading it up on Crunchyroll manga... or is it one of those series that has the first book and the most recent chapters but nothing in the middle as a strategy to get you to buy the series?

Yep, only chapter 1, then 25 to current (60 right now) are available on CR Manga. MAL currently has the first 3 chapters up for free too. A physical release is also about to start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10