• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funi release of Escaflowne?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote
I am eyeing possibly adding Escaflowne to my anime collection again after giving away my old Bandai Anime Legends set of it years ago. But while I typically don't care what release of an anime I choose to snag up as long as I can get it for cheap, I did hear one interesting fact about the Funimation re-release in that it includes the extra animated scenes for Escaflowne's first several episodes that were only found in Japanese video releases for it that were cut from its original TV airing due to making the episodes too long for a half-hour TV time block. Bandai's release was of the original TV airing instead of adding in the extra scenes. Am I correct in my assumption that said added scenes are in the Funi release?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't have the Funimation release, but yes, those added scenes are included. Which is why Funi redubbed the series, since the old dub didn't line up:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-27/exclusive-funimation-launches-kickstarter-to-dub-escaflowne-tv-anime-director-cut/.99141

Quote:
The company plans to release the director's cut of the series in HD on Blu-ray Disc, including scenes that were not available when Bandai Entertainment's original English dub was released.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It's been in my mind to double dip for Escaflowne (I have the Perfect Vision box set complete with mecha figure) because I really do love the title. Getting some extra minutes doesn't hurt the appeal. But again, my priorities are outstripping my resources.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
Yes, FUNi's release includes the JP TV broadcasts with extra footage. If you don't care for the lack of the old Ocean dub, get it for the HD upgrade, alone. The Blu-ray quality is phenomenal compared to those old Bandai DVDs. Also, FUNi actually didn't go cheap, this time, and cram so many episodes per disc like most of their other shit releases. They actually used an extra disc for each half set, so 3 it's discs total, instead of the usual 2, meaning less compression and better video quality, overall.

And If you get FUNi's version of the movie, it has both the old Ocean dub, as well as their new one. Video quality is about the same as the old Bandai Blu-ray, so only get FUNi's if you care for dub continuity.

EDIT: Grammar.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And If you get FUNi's version of the movie, it has both the old Ocean dub, as well as their new one. Video quality is about the same as the old Bandai Blu-ray, so only get FUNi's if you care for dub continuity.

I'm not planning to get the movie for Escaflowne. Unlike the TV anime, I didn't get as much enjoyment out of it due to the radical changes it made in the story and characters.

But still, thanks for the feedback, folks. I had recalled hearing news about Funi getting rights to the video release of the TV anime a while back. But just wanted to be sure my memory wasn't screwing with me since it had been so long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1