• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Announces Switch's New OLED Model for October 8 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Suxinn wrote:
OK, but will the new Switch dock work with the non-OLED Switch? I'm definitely not all that interested in a full Switch upgrade, but a dock upgrade? Maybe.

Yes, both switches will work with both docks (https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html)

Ooh nice! Thanks for the info! Somehow, the US version of the OLED announcement on Nintendo's site does not have that FAQ on the bottom (or I'm just clicking all the wrong links, since I cannot find it for the life of me).
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
I really wish people would stop listening to these supposed "insiders" and "leakers" who are just randos looking for clout and clicks. How many times to they have to be wrong before people stop paying them any attention?

I play docked 100% of the time, so this particular model is of no real use for me. As far as the idea of a Switch Pro in general, I don't really care. A bumped up framrate for some games like Age of Calamity would be nice, but it's not necessary. People cite Pokemon but that's more Gamefreak's incompetence than Switch limitations. There's plenty of good looking and smooth running games on Switch. Blame the developers, not the console.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This is targeted at 2 markets...

1) Those who don't own a Switch at all yet...

2) Those with only a Switch Lite experiencing buyer's remorse because they can't dock when they want to and/or struggle to see what's going on on the Lite's smaller screen in busy games like Smash Bros, all in the name of saving $100 vs. the full Switch...

I myself fall into group 2, had been considering buying a regular Switch recently but will be buying this and make due with my Lite until then...
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Can you say image burnin retention and shitty battery life? I sure can.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Was there ever any proof the Switch Pro actually existed or was it just something the Internet made up based on rumors and questionable "leaks"?

With this latest release, we're more likely to hear about the next gen console from Nintendo than a Switch Pro.

Lets be clear, I had trouble even finding a Switch in a physical store for months (in the last year). I finally got 1 from a friend who happened to have 2 (the one I got was slightly damaged, but an easy fix). When I finally went to get accessories for it, I went to a local Walmart, and they had exactly 1 Switch in stock.

There has been a Switch shortage since day 1 of the release of the system (or at least a perceived shortage with scalpers buying them and reselling them for profit). I imagine that this new OLED model will suffer from this too. I think Nintendo is aware of this and is playing their part in not releasing or announcing a new console because the Switch is still a profitable platform, and they know that there are still people who want but buy one, but are unable to find one for purchase.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
There's plenty of good looking and smooth running games on Switch. Blame the developers, not the console.

When the system has ports of games that are either are so-so at best or outright ass or can't be played natively on the console you can in fact blame the console or in this case the maker of said console.

Nintendo's design philosophy with their systems for the longest has been let's do less with less. Sometimes that works (Wii, 3DS,) other times it doesn't (N64, GBA Micro, WiiU).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3