• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BBC in Gundam Twitter Scandal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:

To be honest, if you actually search "robot statue in odaiba" or Tokyo in Google, it'll give you the location and the name of the statue as well as some articles relating to it (somewhat mixed with rx-78 for obvious reasons). The statue isn't some sort of mysterious hidden statue that only nerds know, it's a public attraction and cultural landmark. But I guess, BBC writer are too professional and too busy to stoop as low as googling something.

...so a live broadcaster for a triathlon is now supposed to stop what he's doing mid-race and Google "what is this giant robot statue I'm looking at" for something that was on-camera for all of maybe 15 seconds? In what world do you think this happens?

Last edited by Top Gun on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
'Scandal' seems a bit strong? Sloppy reporting, I think I'd agree with (I feel more forgiving of the live commentators, who don't have time to research their claims), but unless I'm confused or missing something, calling a Gundam a 'Gandum' or 'Transformer' seems more like a minor faux paus than a scandal.
Borderite92

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget Al Roker in 2010 when said "Space Battleship Yamamoto" at the Macy's parade. And NBC adds insult when they play a certain arachnid's song over the chorus from NYPD's band.
Crpt774

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
Why are so many people focussing on the word scandal here? Are ANN not allowed to do jokey titles for amusing stuff now?

It's a meme people, stop trying to take it seriously. It's embarrassing to read
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
I think only one other person and I mentioned the word 'scandal'? I also didn't read the replies prior to commenting on it

I was actually wondering if it was meant to be a bit of jokey hyperbole. I don't have a problem with that, but I didn't 'get the joke' in this case (i.e., it was not clear to me it was meant as a joke; maybe it should have been), if that was the intent, I guess
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
'Scandal' seems a bit strong? Sloppy reporting, I think I'd agree with (I feel more forgiving of the live commentators, who don't have time to research their claims), but unless I'm confused or missing something, calling a Gundam a 'Gandum' or 'Transformer' seems more like a minor faux paus than a scandal.

Have you heard of sarcasm or exaggeration?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Have you heard of sarcasm or exaggeration?

I think you were posting this as I was literally replying to the person above you. It crossed my mind that it might be a joke/hyperbole/exaggeration, yeah; I thought about speculating as much in my initial reply. Wasn't clear to me that was the intention, though.

Maybe it should have been? *shrugs*
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:07 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:

To be honest, if you actually search "robot statue in odaiba" or Tokyo in Google, it'll give you the location and the name of the statue as well as some articles relating to it (somewhat mixed with rx-78 for obvious reasons). The statue isn't some sort of mysterious hidden statue that only nerds know, it's a public attraction and cultural landmark. But I guess, BBC writer are too professional and too busy to stoop as low as googling something.

...so a live broadcaster for a triathlon is now supposed to stop what he's doing mid-race and Google "what is this giant robot statue I'm looking at" for something that was on-camera for all of maybe 15 seconds? In what world do you think this happens?

Was the tweet quoting a commentator? I thought it was the BBC's sports Twitter person coming up with it themselves, which means they probably could have done a quick Google unlike on live TV.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
Japan has a million robots - to an outsider, they can't tell which is which Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
^I think it was an honest and understandable mistake. Unless anyone cares it's just one of those Giant Robots the Japanese are inexplicably fond of.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
IIRC I heard it called "The Unicorn Robot" too. Which is close enough that you know someone looked it up/knew but it got confused on the way to the announcer's mouth.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as an Englishman who fell in love with Gundam over 15 years ago. All I can say is, please excuse my fellow countrymen. We are young and have much to learn.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:

How about just pronouncing it correctly as it shows up on your tele-prompter, "Gundam" = "gan-dum." Like, what? You can't even read your own english? You got vowel dyslexia?
Tachibana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Fake news BBC = British Bullshit Channel Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2