• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Overlord Author Says Next Volume's Draft Is Over 700 Pages

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Read some of the light novels when they just started coming out and that they were alright. Just reminded me of a "evil" version of Log Horizon.
Honestly I wish Overlord was never an isekai to begin with. I really enjoyed the world and how some things played but always left a bad taste in my mouth. If Maruyama strictly wrote a fantasy, which he truly seems to love, with no strings attached it would be a more enjoyable series. I fear how the series will end. These "trapped in game-but real world" stories always kind of dig themselves too deep that the payoff is really not satisfying. I hope it does something new and ends us wanting more.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Read some of the light novels when they just started coming out and that they were alright. Just reminded me of a "evil" version of Log Horizon.
Honestly I wish Overlord was never an isekai to begin with. I really enjoyed the world and how some things played but always left a bad taste in my mouth. If Maruyama strictly wrote a fantasy, which he truly seems to love, with no strings attached it would be a more enjoyable series. I fear how the series will end. These "trapped in game-but real world" stories always kind of dig themselves too deep that the payoff is really not satisfying. I hope it does something new and ends us wanting more.

if you really read the books than you would know this is not about a guy being isekaied into a game world more like the game and himself being teleported into a fantasy world, honestly so many people get this premise wrong.

And why does this news media have to post about it ending at 17 volumes when it was already established awhile ago. we dont even know if that info is even accurate anymore since this vol got split into a 2 parter and clear it was not part of the planned process. ann get your facts right.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
So if 15 is being split in to two volumes (presumably 15 & 16 instead of 15 part 1 and 15 part 2) I wonder if he's not going to hold to his previous target of 17 volumes... Unless 17 ends up being two books worth of content again Laughing
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:36 pm Reply with quote
It's quite clear at this point that Overlord will be fully adapted. I'm glad. V will probably adapt 14 and the rest of 15 since the movie is covering 12 and 13.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Discuss the anime without trolling other posters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Hell that's a long draft that may be fairly common for Overlord tho.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
At least we know he is alive
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
It's quite clear at this point that Overlord will be fully adapted. I'm glad. V will probably adapt 14 and the rest of 15 since the movie is covering 12 and 13.

No way are 2 Overlord volumes getting squeezed into 1 film. The anime cant even get adapting it right without cutting a bunch of stuff.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:30 am Reply with quote
Don't really see how the author can end this series at volume 17. There is so much left hanging. The last two volumes (12-13) seem more like side quests than anything else. So nothing has really been moving the main plot forward.

If the finale is volume 17, it will have to be a truncated ending, that will satisfy no one. But if it is not a finale, then it will probably just end somewhere. I can see after 17 novels, he might want to write about something else. If he doesn't change his mind, at least we can hope he will pick it back up sometime in the future.

If Glen Cook can still be putting out Black Company novels, than so can Kugane Maruyama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1