• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cyberpunk: Edgerunners

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:56 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, the scene where they replaced David's spine with a cybernetic skeleton was painful to see due to the handling of it. Still, it kinda feels like the whole Edgerunner thing was an escapism to stop of thinking of his mother's death. I kinda felt there was little to no grief when she passed away and instead just rage based on the guy's priorities. I really liked the early handling of the two main characters' relationship but David's mental health deterioration could have simply be solved if they had stayed together rather than just split after the boss' death. I guess they wanted to go for a tragic ending but David's state in the finale was strange considering he actually was recovering.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I watched this subtitled, and one very annoying thing was they didn't keep the subs up during the "sound only dialogue" sequences. You're supposed to instead read the blue or orange text that blends in more with the background and bounces around to various parts of the screen. They only have subtitles if it gets cut off partway.

It would've been a lot less irritating to keep up with if they'd just kept the normal subtitles going during those parts too.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I have a few episodes left and I liked what I've seen well enough but I thought it was just ok. I feel like Cyberpunk was more of style over substance and it felt very calculated made to appeal to casual American anime fans who still think all anime is violent action sci-fi. Lucy and Rebecca have been my favorite characters in the show but I thought David was just kind of a typical MC. The animation was very impressive but I feel like I enjoyed the animation in past Trigger works more and it felt like show didn't have that much of a message or theme to me. It was more like they were using the aesthetic of cyberpunk rather than addressing the usual themes of the genre like AI vs human and what the meaning of human is. This feels like the kind of anime I would have enjoyed more if I was in high school or if I hadn't already seen better cyberpunk anime over the years. I really enjoyed the dub though.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked the Cyberpunk genre. I read the William Gibson stories like Neuromancer, etc played the original Cyberpunk and Shadowrun rpgs and of course my favorite anime was Ghost in the Shell. On the other hand I'm not a fanboy of Studio Trigger and Gurren Lagann type excesses. I liked Little Witch Academia a lot, but found Promare pretty meh. So I went into this show with low expectations, but got hooked really fast. Maybe it could have used one more episode to flesh out some details and strengthen some relationships a bit more like some posters have mentioned, but I wouldn't have wanted more than that. Mainly because I find some Trigger stuff to get weaker the longer it goes and its easy to get fatigued by over the top stuff.

royalnobody wrote:
...too many times I just felt like the characters are dying for the sake of making the ending tragic to the point where the characters were just plain stupid. David getting jacked up after seeing Maine and long-armed man die due to cyberpsychosis related deaths just makes his death feel contrived at best...
Why does David get jacked up after seeing what happens to other people and cyberpsychosis? You kind of answer that later in your own post:
Quote:
His own mother was forced into illegal business thanks to their financial difficulties...or people like him who were forced into the gang life due to a few wrong turns...
People get trapped in situations and some people think that stuff wont happen to them because they're different. The show points this out pretty clearly and David starts to think he's "special". There's also a certain addiction/obsession involved in chroming up like people who become obsessed with plastic surgery and one surgery isn't enough, or weightlifters who obsess with getting bigger and stronger. I mean think about all the steroid use in sports and people knew the dangers.

Quote:
Let's not forget that David had full power to send them to the moon already. He even remarks at how cheap it is for a one-way trip. But Lucy doesn't like it because it's a one-way trip, which makes 0 sense. Bitch, you literally want to get as far away from this city as humanly possible, and now you want to come back? Too many plot points like these were just mentioned but never committed to.
It makes perfect sense, because she's pointing out that the price is not round trip just one way but more importantly she doesn't want to go because she's busy protecting David and eliminating threats from the corps to him that he doesn't know about.

The Cyberpunk genre is usually dystopian with only the corporate elite living good lives and most other people having to scramble to survive. Its rare that people get out of David's business alive, so tragedy is often built in. Its a deadly often double crossing business after all.

As the saying goes "Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting much, but really enjoyed this. They really brought the game world to life. I really loved that they didn't hold back on using game mechanics, like the hacking mini game, in the show. I also appreciate that in addition to the over the top violence, they had no problem with frequent nudity either. Nothing covered with light, shadows or well placed objects around the room. It fit perfectly with the tone established by the game. Great use of music too (most of which is from the game I've since heard).

Weakest point was probably the Lucy/David relationship. I can believe that they got there, but I don't think there was enough there to support it (one moon date isn't enough).
I think I also would have preferred if Rebecca survived. By that point it felt like she was killed off just to get as close to killing everyone but Lucy as possible. I was surprised that Falco managed to survive, but I guess someone had to drive. Still, the character grew on me, so it would have been nice for the possibility to see her again.

I didn't have a problem with David's descent in to cyberpsychosis. There are unfortunately people who see someone else's self destructive behavior, say "but that won't happen to me" and then fall in to the same pattern. It probably would have worked better if we saw it happen more over time and not just after a time skip, so I can understand that thinking, but it's sadly believable.

Hopefully we can get at least another season, if not more, from Trigger. They either really did their research, really loved the game, or both and I think it shows. They can clearly be trusted to give us more tales from Night City and I hope we get them.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I didn't have a problem with David's descent in to cyberpsychosis. There are unfortunately people who see someone else's self destructive behavior, say "but that won't happen to me" and then fall in to the same pattern. It probably would have worked better if we saw it happen more over time and not just after a time skip, so I can understand that thinking, but it's sadly believable.

You know, I had honestly forgotten the "I'm special" mantra that had been running through his head the whole series. That probably exacerbated your theory here.
royalnobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I've always liked the Cyberpunk genre. I read the William Gibson stories like Neuromancer, etc played the original Cyberpunk and Shadowrun rpgs and of course my favorite anime was Ghost in the Shell. On the other hand I'm not a fanboy of Studio Trigger and Gurren Lagann type excesses. I liked Little Witch Academia a lot, but found Promare pretty meh. So I went into this show with low expectations, but got hooked really fast. Maybe it could have used one more episode to flesh out some details and strengthen some relationships a bit more like some posters have mentioned, but I wouldn't have wanted more than that. Mainly because I find some Trigger stuff to get weaker the longer it goes and its easy to get fatigued by over the top stuff.

royalnobody wrote:
...too many times I just felt like the characters are dying for the sake of making the ending tragic to the point where the characters were just plain stupid. David getting jacked up after seeing Maine and long-armed man die due to cyberpsychosis related deaths just makes his death feel contrived at best...
Why does David get jacked up after seeing what happens to other people and cyberpsychosis? You kind of answer that later in your own post:
Quote:
His own mother was forced into illegal business thanks to their financial difficulties...or people like him who were forced into the gang life due to a few wrong turns...
People get trapped in situations and some people think that stuff wont happen to them because they're different. The show points this out pretty clearly and David starts to think he's "special". There's also a certain addiction/obsession involved in chroming up like people who become obsessed with plastic surgery and one surgery isn't enough, or weightlifters who obsess with getting bigger and stronger. I mean think about all the steroid use in sports and people knew the dangers.

Quote:
Let's not forget that David had full power to send them to the moon already. He even remarks at how cheap it is for a one-way trip. But Lucy doesn't like it because it's a one-way trip, which makes 0 sense. Bitch, you literally want to get as far away from this city as humanly possible, and now you want to come back? Too many plot points like these were just mentioned but never committed to.
It makes perfect sense, because she's pointing out that the price is not round trip just one way but more importantly she doesn't want to go because she's busy protecting David and eliminating threats from the corps to him that he doesn't know about.

The Cyberpunk genre is usually dystopian with only the corporate elite living good lives and most other people having to scramble to survive. Its rare that people get out of David's business alive, so tragedy is often built in. Its a deadly often double crossing business after all.

As the saying goes "Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

Problem: David only has two implants. His lungs and spine. He's not that deep in the sauce. David literally saw Maine think that HE's different and die from it. How he pushed David aside and everything. This should have easily served as a wake-up call instead of digging your head further in the sand. This is like going from drinking alcohol every week, seeing a drunk driving accident, and then getting addicted to alcohol. Which further reminds me, aside from the emotional impact for the audience and David stepping up as leader, even Maine's death didn't impact anyone in particular after the time skip.

A round trip implies that you want to come back. Why do you want to come back to a town you supposedly hate. If David just goes to the moon with her, everything would be alright. But she didn't even ask whether or not David wants to join. If she could have David come with her, literally all the problems she has would be solved, they could be happy. But nonono, we must have our tragic ending that we shoved straight into David's throat.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
royalnobody wrote:
Problem: David only has two implants. His lungs and spine. He's not that deep in the sauce. David literally saw Maine think that HE's different and die from it. How he pushed David aside and everything. This should have easily served as a wake-up call instead of digging your head further in the sand. This is like going from drinking alcohol every week, seeing a drunk driving accident, and then getting addicted to alcohol. Which further reminds me, aside from the emotional impact for the audience and David stepping up as leader, even Maine's death didn't impact anyone in particular after the time skip.
It sometimes serves as a wake-up call for some people, not everyone. You seem to want people and characters to be perfectly logical, unfortunately that's not how people are. Plenty of people behave irrationally and make bad decisions and that's even before you throw other stuff into the mix like culture and environment. And the environment of Night City is like another character in the story. I knew kids when I was growing up that had alcoholic parents and that didn't stop them from drinking and later becoming alcoholics themselves. Some of them finally got clean and sober, but not after they seriously damaged their health and relationships. Having an example of why you shouldn't do something doesn't stop people from doing it.

Quote:
A round trip implies that you want to come back. Why do you want to come back to a town you supposedly hate. If David just goes to the moon with her, everything would be alright. But she didn't even ask whether or not David wants to join. If she could have David come with her, literally all the problems she has would be solved, they could be happy. But nonono, we must have our tragic ending that we shoved straight into David's throat.
Because maybe a vacation to the moon is not going to fix things? Like I said it wasn't going to happen because the Megacorps were looking for the data that would lead them to David and Lucy was trying to protect him by eliminating their hackers.

You seem not to want to have the tragedy that was served up, which is understandable but part of the point of the story was that Night City is a dog eat dog place. Only the rich can afford the Trauma Team to fly in and resuscitate them after an accident. David and his mom did not have the money to afford the same health coverage. David ends up in more debt due to his mom's death. As is shown some of the other citizens escape into drugs and entertainment. Gangs and crime are rampant. One of the few avenues of momentary escape is by becoming a merc in effect becoming a type of gang member yourself. Its only after he becomes one that he starts to make money and then its hard to quit that. That's the environment of Night City that David's in and his friends and crew are there. Hard to walk away. The whole thing is an indictment of capitalism and that's what Night City is capitalism at its worst. There's no happy escape in such a place at least not for long and this is why its a tragedy--to bring that point home.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm Reply with quote
royalnobody wrote:

If we got another episode they probably could have shown David's descent, but instead they leave it up to the viewer to fill in the blanks. They did foreshadow David taking Maine's arm(s) when he died and we saw him carrying at least one of them back with him when he did die. So presumably he either got that installed soon after or got other upgrades first that he needed to eventually get it. And from there further upgrades until he ended up the way he was. I think he just got the legs right before the start of the time skip. Just a little bit more to get a little bit stronger, but it's ok, he can take it, he's special.
royalnobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
royalnobody wrote:
It sometimes serves as a wake-up call for some people, not everyone. You seem to want people and characters to be perfectly logical, unfortunately that's not how people are. Plenty of people behave irrationally and make bad decisions and that's even before you throw other stuff into the mix like culture and environment. And the environment of Night City is like another character in the story. I knew kids when I was growing up that had alcoholic parents and that didn't stop them from drinking and later becoming alcoholics themselves. Some of them finally got clean and sober, but not after they seriously damaged their health and relationships. Having an example of why you shouldn't do something doesn't stop people from doing it.

Quote:
Because maybe a vacation to the moon is not going to fix things? Like I said it wasn't going to happen because the Megacorps were looking for the data that would lead them to David and Lucy was trying to protect him by eliminating their hackers.

You seem not to want to have the tragedy that was served up, which is understandable but part of the point of the story was that Night City is a dog eat dog place. Only the rich can afford the Trauma Team to fly in and resuscitate them after an accident. David and his mom did not have the money to afford the same health coverage. David ends up in more debt due to his mom's death. As is shown some of the other citizens escape into drugs and entertainment. Gangs and crime are rampant. One of the few avenues of momentary escape is by becoming a merc in effect becoming a type of gang member yourself. Its only after he becomes one that he starts to make money and then its hard to quit that. That's the environment of Night City that David's in and his friends and crew are there. Hard to walk away. The whole thing is an indictment of capitalism and that's what Night City is capitalism at its worst. There's no happy escape in such a place at least not for long and this is why its a tragedy--to bring that point home.

I don't expect characters to be fully logical robots, but I do expect them to make some form of sense. This is just if Icarus flew too close to the sun and after seeing that, Daedalus did the exact same thing because reasons.

It's not a vacation. I don't get where you got this from, but it's a literal one way trip to the moon. you don't have to go back to the city, you stay on the damn moon. So yes, this would help a lot, because now you've escaped the night city after going to the moon. And David being hunted was all the more reason to go to the moon. Easy way to escape being captured, just have fake IDs and/or delete the flight records.

There's a grand difference between quiting being a gang member and "maybe I shouldn't need a fully jacked up body". David and his gang doesn't need to walk away, every gang member except David and Maine weren't armed to the teeth. Just look at Rebecca, she has two arms as far as what goes on in the outside and that's good enough to live. I don't mind tragedy, I just want tragic events that happen for a reason other than for the sake of being tragic. David's death is as much of a tragedy as a crack addict dying on the streets.

On the note of capitalism, the only aspect of this story that had anything to do with capitalism is with David's mother's death. Unless it's a massive part of the game, I don't know why you'd bring it up. There was no other part where money was of any importance other than the gang getting paid and the big prize money for the final mission. There wasn't even any attempt to escape other than escapism through vr and whatever. And David and the gang could have easily escaped if they just went off to the [expletive] moon. It's not like the story was about the gang trying to escape only to be hunted down and killed by Adam, which would actually have driven home the idea that there is no escape from night city, you either live by the system or die.
royalnobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
royalnobody wrote:

If we got another episode they probably could have shown David's descent, but instead they leave it up to the viewer to fill in the blanks. They did foreshadow David taking Maine's arm(s) when he died and we saw him carrying at least one of them back with him when he did die. So presumably he either got that installed soon after or got other upgrades first that he needed to eventually get it. And from there further upgrades until he ended up the way he was. I think he just got the legs right before the start of the time skip. Just a little bit more to get a little bit stronger, but it's ok, he can take it, he's special.

Maybe. I mean, them not explaining just makes me think David's incredibly dumb/arrogant.
Erulogos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:00 am Reply with quote
royalnobody wrote:
Maybe. I mean, them not explaining just makes me think David's incredibly dumb/arrogant.

David is driven by trauma and believing his own hype. Repeatedly he's seen people he cares about die in situations where he believed he should have been able to help them "if only...", if only he was faster, stronger, had more eddies, etc. Feeding that is the hype, everyone being blown away at how readily he can use a twitchy bit of tech like the Sandy, which makes him feel like all those people died because he didn't go far enough, fast enough, because he can take it.

He was wrong about all of the above, that's what we see in the end, but it all makes perfect sense for a headstrong teenager with a chip on his shoulder and a mountain of unresolved trauma.

Now to talk about that, David and the whole team seem to move on so fast because their environment basically gives them no choice. The show tries to illustrate this with David's money/rent situation a bit, but this is one point where being familiar with the source setting helps a ton to put the show into context and better light. If you know Night City, you know why they acted the way they did about death, if you don't it seems a bit off (because Night City is more than a bit off, intentionally.) But they all, David especially since he's young and new to it all, still feel and bear the scars of the trauma, and since is never handled properly because their environment won't allow it, it comes out in maladaptive, self-destructive ways.

Frankly I do wish this had been a 12 episode run, they could have built a lot of support for a bunch of the weaker/underexplained aspects into the story in that time, but I don't think they had the budget (or in true Trigger fashion, they burned through it on the frankly nuts action pieces.) Still a damn good series IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2