• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:50 am Reply with quote
Things are heating up, though I do have trouble imagening our mc duo running into any problems they can't handle, sorceror killer or not. I do like how our vaillain is aware that going in alone and in a direct fashion will get him killed and thus tries to weaken the mc's by a battle of attrition. I also have to laugh how there is simultaneously a lack of curse users to fight the curses and yet there are so many bounty hunters and organizations consisting of curse users/battle ready fighters out there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:48 am Reply with quote
As part of my effort to get as much out of this prelude arc as humanly possible, I rewatched JJK 0 (the movie) and boy am I ever glad I did. For one thing, I'm amending my initial rating of the film from "meh" to the current "awesome." I guess I must have been even more resistant to the lack of Itadori/Sukuna than even I realized at the time. And sometimes mood can play an important role in how a viewer reacts to a film. In any case, I remember being underwhelmed. In fact, that was pretty much all I remembered. I was shocked at how little of the actual content stuck in my mind. Oh you know, I forgot "little" things... like anything to do with Suguru Geto... minor stuff like that. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, that lamentable situation has been rectified and the movie now has the proper appreciation in my mind and it has whetted my appetite to see exactly how Gojo and Geto went from best of friends to bitter enemies. I am no longer merely tolerating this prelude arc... I am enthusiastically embracing it.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
26:

I have no idea how Gojo's technique works.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:09 am Reply with quote
Oh, AC x S, AC x S, AC x S...

*adopts tone as if speaking to a child*

It's so simple. He merely transductifies the vortexal manifestations of sub-binary quantum configurations such that parallax dynamics interface with concave space-time irruptions. Honestly, I'm kinda embarrassed for you.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's so simple. He merely transductifies the vortexal manifestations of sub-binary quantum configurations such that parallax dynamics interface with concave space-time irruptions.

Are you sure that you're not channeling Mr. Spock of the USS Enterprise?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For one thing, I'm amending my initial rating of the film from "meh" to the current "awesome." I guess I must have been even more resistant to the lack of Itadori/Sukuna than even I realized at the time. And sometimes mood can play an important role in how a viewer reacts to a film. In any case, I remember being underwhelmed.

Sounds about right. I remember the first time I saw it, I was in a snit for about fifteen minutes. I felt like the show was basically just repeating the plot of JJK season 1 - y'know, the kid with a curse that's a ticking time bomb gets taken in by Gojo, who seems wildly reckless, etc. But then the basic awesomeness wore me down.

I don't really care cos Gojo is such a fun and awesome character, and the show has already demonstrated an ability to work his OPness when it's necessary to add some dramatic tension.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I remember the first time I saw it, I was in a snit for about fifteen minutes. I felt like the show was basically just repeating the plot of JJK season 1 - y'know, the kid with a curse that's a ticking time bomb gets taken in by Gojo, who seems wildly reckless, etc.

It's actually kind of the opposite. The source manga for JJK0 was a four-chapter mini-series that ran in Jump Giga as a sort of test run, before the main manga was serialized.

It did well enough to merit serialization, but it was considered an issue for a long-running WSJ series that Okkotsu got too OP too quickly. The author could have adjusted that, of course, but instead he did a sort of soft reboot where he kept the same basic plot but switched out the main characters for Yuji, Megumi, and Nobara. (And kept the original cast on as second years.) Sukuna was probably meant to be an improvement on Rika - he's much less cooperative, so he's not making things too easy for the MC.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:23 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
It's actually kind of the opposite. The source manga for JJK0 was a four-chapter mini-series that ran in Jump Giga as a sort of test run, before the main manga was serialized.

It did well enough to merit serialization, but it was considered an issue for a long-running WSJ series that Okkotsu got too OP too quickly. .

Wow. As to the OP thing, I meant it when I said this author has demonstrated the ability to make OP characters work. Two of my favorite shows are One Punch Man and Mob Psycho, so it's not like OP is inherently a bad thing.

Darkmagick wrote:
The author could have adjusted that, of course, but instead he did a sort of soft reboot where he kept the same basic plot but switched out the main characters for Yuji, Megumi, and Nobara. (And kept the original cast on as second years.) Sukuna was probably meant to be an improvement on Rika - he's much less cooperative, so he's not making things too easy for the MC.

So the author took the rough draft (sort of) then revised it later and made it a prequel? That's cool.

Thanks for letting me know. I've already demonstrated my complete lack of background knowledge by admitting that I walked into this season blind, not expecting a prequel story, and then expecting the prequel to be a whole season, not an arc.

When I first got into anime, I checked out a lot of light novels, not realizing that most of the light novels I was reading then would be the anime I'd be watching 2 or 3 years down the road. For me, this was a bit of bummer. Some people like reading a book and then seeing a movie or TV show based on it, and honestly, that's a better mentality, but for me, it makes the anime less fun.

Different strokes and all. So while I like reading Wuxia and Xianxia and Korean novels, I don't read Japanese light novels or wiki's much anymore unless I have a question that's really bugging me after the fact. Sometimes that bites me in the butt.. The forums have been a nice resource in that regard.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:22 am Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 26: Hidden Inventory 2

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 27

Well, that's quite the cliffhanger. We know that Gojo is not dead but I don't think we know if Riko is. Surviving a head shot is no easy matter but hey this is JJK after all and the normal rules don't always apply. I'm pissed off with Geto. It's great that you stand around and sound all cool by telling Riko that you and Goto will GUARANTEE her safety regardless of what decision she makes, but then how about backing up your flapping lips with some actual effective action like, I dunno, stopping her from getting shot in the head? Dick.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Left field is the word that comes to mind with this week's episode. Again, they've made the exchange a non-event, but it's the surprise of the second half which hits all the harder because the main pairing have had it relatively easy to date. Goes to show, no matter how strong the opponent, a combination of detailed planning properly executed, no information revealed to the opponent before plan is executed and the opponent's overconfidence in their own abilities gets the job done.

Overconfidence led Satoru and company to Okinawa, and it proved to be their undoing. Getou Suguru had warned Satoru that he was needlessly draining his powers, and the warning should have been heeded. Did the pair expect someone with Maki's abilities (rewatch Season One for those who don't remember, she said why she needs glasses)? Clearly not, but Gojou Satoru has never lost to anyone in his lifetime and has paid for it. We know he is still alive somehow as this is a flashback arc, so how he survived those hits will be one to watch. However, Fushiguro Senior has proved his moniker as "Sorcerer Slayer" to be on the mark, despite his inaction over the last few weeks. He's clearly capable of killing Suguru so close to Tengen's barrier, but he too survives to the movie so the intent was probably to complete his commission and claim Rika's corpse for delivery to his clients.

Had Rika gone straight through the barrier, she might still be alive. We viewers do not know how serious the repercussions are for the assimilation failure, as it is not clearly shown in Season One. I'll assume she is dead and that Tengen had to evolve for the pair's failure; whether or not this will have consequences when the action returns to the present remains to be seen.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:31 am Reply with quote
To quote a certain game that I quite like: ``overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer``. You can have all the power in the world, but being an overconfident ass will still make it possible for you to lose, especially if your opponent knows his limits very well.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:06 am Reply with quote
At some point, Imma gonna have to find the time to rewatch season 1 (and maybe the movie) . I'm enjoying this, but I keep having weird moments of almost recognition or comprehension.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 27: Hidden Inventory 3

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote

At least the big question on how Gojou's death last week was made null and void for season one is answered this week. It sounds ridiculous and typical for franchises like these, but the technique he mentioned has been raised previously both in season one and the movie. Furthermore, even if he didn't use it his best mate Suguru was revived anyway because their classmate is the resident expert with that particular technique. In Gojou Satoru's case, not doing what he did would definitely have got him killed, so he was right in saying Fushigurou Touji screwed up by not making the kill definitive (then again how many would have having come this far against Gojou Satoru in an ambush?!)

Regardless of Gojou and Getou's revivals, they still failed the mission entrusted to them as they needed to bring in their charge alive to Tengen. Fushigoro Touji earned his coin, even if he didn't manage to spend it. The episode also answers why his son is given so much favour by Gojou, as the flashback in season one only answered part of the question. His son uses a different technique to store weapons and kit, but father and son think alike when it comes to logistics despite their vastly differing skill sets.

Going straight to the next arc after this, so the aftermath of the consequences of this arc may or may not be elaborated. Insanity combined with religion are a potent mix; enough to kill even the strongest of individuals in pursuit of a designated goal. Will the masterminds be made to pay for their scheme? Gojou spared the worshippers only because Getou talked him out of it, which is a complete reversal from what would have happened if movie Getou and Gojou were in the same situation. What about Tengen? He can't assimilate a corpse, so how did the failure affect him since he's supposed to "evolve" when the ritual isn't done on time?

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14