• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Ends U.S. Opening Weekend with US$18.6M

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eviltimes

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Losing money is bad for all of us. It's bad enough the industry is failing in the US, but when a big budget film flops this hard it just makes everything worse.
XJ9

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It will be bad if it totally flops so I certainly hope that that won't be the case. I really believe that it will turn Hollywood off from looking at any other animes for movie ideas. I, for one, would love to see a Star Blazers/Yamato movie. Chances are, of course, that Hollywood would screw it up, but I would still like that chance to see it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Well at least it's effect on the anime industry itself should be minimal.

People seem to have the opinion that if a bunch of anime-based hollywood films are really successful, that'll help improve the market for anime in the US. But I don't think there's really much evidence to back that up. Look at recent movie successes like Marvel and DC comic movies - Sure, they increased the sales of the specific properties they promoted like Xmen or superman, but did they actually increase the number of people that go out and buy comic books on a regular basis? When the LOTR movies came out, did it cause a giant bump in the number of fantasy novels people buy?
A really great anime-based hollywood movie sure wouldn't HURT anime in the US, but it probably wouldn't actually help much, either. And likewise, I don't think that speed racer's failure will effect things too much anyway. Studios don't really care about what the source material is when they green-light projects: they care about what the expected audience is for the movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
sam:
Quote:
People seem to have the opinion that if a bunch of anime-based hollywood films are really successful, that'll help improve the market for anime in the US. But I don't think there's really much evidence to back that up. Look at recent movie successes like Marvel and DC comic movies - Sure, they increased the sales of the specific properties they promoted like Xmen or superman, but did they actually increase the number of people that go out and buy comic books on a regular basis?

Yes and no. The movies helped sales, but they're clearly not going to bring back the American comic book industry, due to out-dated marketing and distribution problems. But anime and manga can reach more people with the current business model.

Quote:
When the LOTR movies came out, did it cause a giant bump in the number of fantasy novels people buy?

Well, yes, and no. People did buy new stuff like Eragon and Twilight, but old stuff might vary.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Saw this on the nearby IMAX. Overload to the senses. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I was in my local Tesco supermarket today where on an end cap was SR mechandice, rc cars, and sticker books, already marked down at 25% off, and that was the first time I'd seen anything SR as I was only in there on Tuesday last.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Odd, the local wal-<Art and Kay-Bee just stripped their shelves of Speed racer Toys, and the Borders also got rid of most of their Speed Racer stiff except for the huge boxset.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Variety's chosen to kick Joel and the brothers when they're down.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
I finally saw this movie 2 weeks after it released in the UK. There were all of seven people in the whole cinema and two of them were my daughter and myself. I can agree with one critic who said "How can this movie be so brightly coloured, so action packed, and be so dull. I might see it again when it come on Sky Movies, but I'll never pay for it again. I fear this won't bode well for the other anime to LA adaptations that are in the wings waiting for their turn on the screen, and personally I think rightly so. The problem with CGi is that producers and directors can too easily get so wrapped up with the glitz of the graphics that they lose concentration on the story, and plot, Speed Racer being a prime example of such. I can only pray that if the LA EVA, and Battle Angel Alita, do go forward, lessons will have been learned, and someone should be hired to just keep saying "Speed Racer" in the ear of the directors just to keep their eyes on the prize.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The problem with CGi is that producers and directors can too easily get so wrapped up with the glitz of the graphics that they lose concentration on the story, and plot, Speed Racer being a prime example of such.

I don't know if that's entirely fair here.
Firstly, the Wachokskis are more known than most for getting wrapped up in cgi.
Secondly, Speed Racer never had any decent plot anyways iirc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4