• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Man Sentenced for Anime Sharing with Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
If you have that stance, then YouTube and Nico Nico Douga would not be considered legitimate business entities. Distributors in Region 1 an 2 have business arrangements with YouTube. Region 2 distributors have business arrangements with Nico Nico.

RogueJedi86 wrote:
So does this mean the 3rd guy is going to get sentenced soon too, or is it just the 2?

A betting person would say "Yes.". 2 out of 3 for the same crime got the same sentence. The third man will probably get the same sentence.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Agreed I would also support crunchyroll if it was a 100% legal site. I would also support it if it was run by some1 who gave a damn about anime and not some guy pretending to be a poor collage kid who has contributed to running the anime industery into the ground and making a profit out of it.

I have to laugh at shinjis profile he says he's doing crunchyroll out of the goodness of his heart??? yes right. Oh and i bear no grudge against 14 year olds who have grown up in a download age and think what they are doing is fine. It aint there fault.

Last edited by Kireek on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
If you have that stance, then YouTube would not be considered a legitimate business entity.

Which is why Youtube is constantly on shaky ground and under the constant pressure of lawsuit. The difference between the two however is very obvious. Where Youtube is mostly just stupid videos with maybe 10-15% of them being clearly illegal*, delegitimizing the business. Crunchyroll is filled with mostly illegal video, with maybe 5% of them being legit, legitimizing the business. Not to mention Cruncyroll is small and manageable, so Youtube's "too big for its own good" line doesn't apply with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
If you have that stance, then YouTube would not be considered a legitimate business entity.

Which is why Youtube is constantly on shaky ground and under the constant pressure of lawsuit. The difference between the two however is very obvious. Where Youtube is mostly just stupid videos with maybe 10-15% of them being clearly illegal*, delegitimizing the business. Crunchyroll is filled with mostly illegal video, with maybe 5% of them being legit, legitimizing the business. Not to mention Cruncyroll is small and manageable, so Youtube's "too big for its own good" line doesn't apply with them.

Youtube is made up of ONLY 10-15% illegal videos? I think you need to visit youtube again.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

But distributors have business arrangements with CR, YouTube, Nico Nico. Whatever percentage of the streaming site's content is "illegal" nowadays doesn't matter too much as long as it has the traffic demographics that the target business is looking for. That site will eventually become more upstanding and more "legitimate" in the eyes of those sensitive to such things.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Well as I have said I can only hope CR does become more upstanding (cant see it at the moment) because right now i despise it.

Gates: Stolen's a strong word. It's copyrighted content that the owner wasn't paid for. So yes.

The Internet's biggest social failure has been that it has served as enabling technology for rampant cheating and theft - and the rationalization of it. The Internet makes stealing so easy that most people don't even think about it.

Bill Gates' comments would appear to be a case in point. You can hear the wheels turning as Gates thinks through the reality of his actions before finally admitting that he has indeed downloaded and consumed copyrighted content.

So true Smile
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

But distributors have business arrangements with CR, YouTube, Nico Nico. Whatever percentage of the streaming site's content is "illegal" nowadays doesn't matter too much as long as it has the traffic demographics that the target business is looking for. That site will eventually become more upstanding and more "legitimate" in the eyes of those sensitive to such things.

CR only has a deal with Gozo and a few tiny small players. The other distributors are basically boycotting CR because of CR's actions.
Bandai is openly hostile to them, as evidenced by the question by Bandai's lawyer Nyugen's keynote at AX.
Youtube is in the process of being sued by Viacom, and it will probably be sued by Japan pretty soon as well (by JASRAC, I suspect, or they might join Viacom's lawsuit).
Niconico is under constant threat of lawsuit: They announced much tighter restrictions on video content just 1 month ago under pressure from the companies, and it'll continue to get worse.
These sites are all on shaky ground, but CR is the shakiest, in my opinion.

Oh, and it is probaby only 15% of the content on youtube is illegal. You don't realize how many people upload videos of their cats. It's like 15% illegal videos, 40% people acting stupid, and 45% people's cats. That's youtube.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I want a world were I can watch the first 2 episodes of somthing on a legal channel much like funi have done recently....And thats a lot of cats Very Happy
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
I want a world were I can watch the first 2 episodes of somthing on a legal channel much like funi have done recently....And thats a lot of cats Very Happy

And in good quality. No youtube.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But distributors have business arrangements with CR, YouTube, Nico Nico.

Yep, they sure do.

Quote:
Whatever percentage of the streaming site's content is "illegal" nowadays doesn't matter too much as long as it has the traffic demographics that the target business is looking for.

Yes, and it is businesses like CR and other pay for fansubs types(there is more, but let's leave that can of worms closed) that have driven companies to the point of desperation, to sign up with these outfits, and grovel for charity.

Quote:
That site will eventually become more upstanding and more "legitimate" in the eyes of those sensitive to such things.

We're all waiting.

Onsokumaru wrote:
Youtube is made up of ONLY 10-15% illegal videos? I think you need to visit youtube again.

What samuelp said. Plus I would add that there is a huge difference between watching a clip from a funny part in a series, and just watching the entire series. One is slap on the wristable and in a grey area, the other is clearly wrong. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, yes I realize there are ways to watch an entire series via Youtube. I also realize that when you do that you are participating in one of the clearly illegal and wrong aspects of Youtube. On the otherhand, Cruchyroll, the only thing you get is complete shows. All of which are illegitimate save for a few of them.

So forgive me when someone comes on here and says "Crunchyroll is totally legit", I call BS on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see what you mean, Dargon. I've never been to Cruchyroll so I didn't know you only got complete episodes.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Its this type of thing that makes me despair.

After hesitating for about a month, I decided to give it a shot and I donated the $6 a month to shinji and I have to say, Crunchyroll is now my go-to place when I need a fix of anime.

He doesnt realize he's givin his money to a 30 year old guy pretendin to be a collage kid who also does not care for the anime industery and taking all the money himself thru illegal content.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I half think the industry in the west should die. Fansub and bootleg will run rampant then, at least until interest in anime dies off and the production companies seriously cut their production schedules due to over half their income disappearing. Leave it ravaged for 5 or 10 years until interest has died down and everyones gone off to harass another hobby, and perhaps a new fanbase will spring up that may look at seriously supporting the industry again. I doubt it though.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

CR only has a deal with Gozo and a few tiny small players. The other distributors are basically boycotting CR because of CR's actions.
Bandai is openly hostile to them, as evidenced by the question by Bandai's lawyer Nyugen's keynote at AX.
Youtube is in the process of being sued by Viacom, and it will probably be sued by Japan pretty soon as well (by JASRAC, I suspect, or they might join Viacom's lawsuit).
Niconico is under constant threat of lawsuit: They announced much tighter restrictions on video content just 1 month ago under pressure from the companies, and it'll continue to get worse.
These sites are all on shaky ground, but CR is the shakiest, in my opinion.

Oh, and it is probaby only 15% of the content on youtube is illegal. You don't realize how many people upload videos of their cats. It's like 15% illegal videos, 40% people acting stupid, and 45% people's cats. That's youtube.

Nico Nico pays copyright royalties to JASRAC so I doubt that JASRAC is going to sue them.

CR has arrangements with Tatsunoko (Gatchaman), Gonzo (Strike Witches, Tower of Druaga, Blassreiter), Animation Innovation Tokyo, Dream Link Entertainment (Eagle Talon etc.) in R2. In R1 Speed Racer Enterprises, GTChannel and UDON Entertainment (starting in August). They are not on "shaky" ground.

YouTube in US has arrangements with FUNimation, ADV and Bandai Ent. and in Japan has arrangements with Visual Arts, Kadokawa and Gonzo. Their Viacom problem isn't earning Viacom any positive public relations points either.

Edit: Oops the series site says Fireworks International with content provided by Harmony Gold and Content Film for Gatchaman. So that means another R1 distributor came on board.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
What was that 8 legal series on crunchyroll u listed there and how many illegal series are on there? I people want to keep supportin this so called collage kid carry on but when the industery is run into the ground he will run with money he's made and laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7