• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Does anyone know if Shugo Chara!! Doki is part of the deal? Or is it just the first series?

Shugo Chara is one of the shows that will be streaming only an hour after airing in Japan for premium members, so yes, Shugo Chara Doki! is part of it.

They will likely upload the rest of the episodes to the first season and the recent doki episodes soon, and will have episode 65 up within an hour after it airs in Japan on the 10th.
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
bci110 wrote:
Does anyone know if Shugo Chara!! Doki is part of the deal? Or is it just the first series?

Shugo Chara is one of the shows that will be streaming only an hour after airing in Japan for premium members, so yes, Shugo Chara Doki! is part of it.

They will likely upload the rest of the episodes to the first season and the recent doki episodes soon, and will have episode 65 up within an hour after it airs in Japan on the 10th.

Excellent. Thanks Cool .
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
The only show ANN listed that appealed to me was Chrono Crusade though I already have the box set so its not worth joining yet.
craziplaya21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
So Naruto Shippuuden is dropped by Dattebayo from now on, right?

In their press release they said they were dropping on January 15th.

oh man, you guys sure are in for a surprise. didn't think people still fall for yhbts
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
all this is doing is letting people do money and make a lot of money off an overpriced subscription fee for doing nothing. i don't see why people think this is a good thing

How is this overpriced? You pay <$1.50/ep per episode if you watch 1 show and you pay even less the more shows you watch.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell is Naruto.com using the streams from Hulu.com anyway? If they used the Joost ones, at least then they could provide service to everyone who actually lives in the region they hold the rights to the property in.

Kinda sucks if I want to watch a series in something besides TV Tokyo's pathetically low resolutions on Crunchyroll. I have to say that was a serious disappointment.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
And so it begins. Smile

Three questions:

1) Are the "old" episodes of shows (like the first 8 episodes of Shippuden) available in CR's HD stream? I would like to know before I pay for it.

2) For Naruto Shippuden, are the subtitles themselves the same between Naruto.com/Hulu and Crunchyroll?

3) It may be impossible to know the answer to this question right now, but will all the episodes stay online, even the simulcast ones? Or will they be removed in like a week or something?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well if it is true that CR is dropping all of their unauthorized content, then I can finally start saying good things about them.

Of course didn't they say something like this once before?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
As thrilled as I am to see this, with Naruto in particular, I'd love to see 'em eventually upload the dubbed ver. as well. *still waiting anxiously* Wink

But overall this is a great start, I believe, to slowing the flood of fansubs.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Just bought my one year subscription. It's high quality video, acceptable translations, downloadable, on-demand and the selection keeps growing. What's not to like?

The subscription is ridiculously cheap, about half what I expected to pay (though this is a special, so that may not last). Doesn't mean I won't watch fansubs, doesn't replace buying DVDs. Doesn't ignore ANN and other ad-supported content, either, but it's a bit cleaner process.

The money paid sends at least some revenue back to the creators, which is just the right thing to do, but also helps keep them making more anime. As the number of subscribers and viewers increase, the data will feed into decisions on what to create and what to license. Those that complain about their favorite shows not being released on DVD may get some satisfaction.

I think it's all good. BTW, for those saying there is only one show they like now, if Shugo Chara! did get licensed here, you're sure to pay more than $59.95 for just that show.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Seen the subs on hulu quality is great. no tacky yellow subs either. but still waiting for a dub.
ArrancarNelTu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
As thrilled as I am to see this, with Naruto in particular, I'd love to see 'em eventually upload the dubbed ver. as well. *still waiting anxiously* Wink

But overall this is a great start, I believe, to slowing the flood of fansubs.

Yes, the slowing of fansubs. Because they'll always be around, even without Dattebayo, or with constant threats from funimation or with scammers and profiters like crunchyroll. I'll take high quality download over low-quality stream, then i'll buy the DVD's.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
8 episodes per week? That's good. 8 episodes of Shippuden is about 2 or 3 chapters, so that makes for a good pace. Laughing

Seriously, this is great. The subs are white and readable. But Viz didn't translate the songs. Neutral The Viz logo on the video is slightly too big, as well.

These are just minor things, though, but I hope that they'll work on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Of the 130 shows they will initially be carrying, they have about 90 or so up right now. They are adding shows at a gangbuster rate to the site. There are still a TON of series left for them to put up after these first few 130 or so. All of the old fansubs are being replaced by fresh HD raws from the studios, and .ass files are being uploaded to the to supply soft subtitles to all the files, so people can automatically view the subtitled language of choice. Crunchyroll is the number one source for all VOD anime now!

130 shows?

Is there a list of these somewhere?

Or do you mean 130 episodes?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
craziplaya21 wrote:
TheTheory wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
So Naruto Shippuuden is dropped by Dattebayo from now on, right?

In their press release they said they were dropping on January 15th.

oh man, you guys sure are in for a surprise. didn't think people still fall for yhbts
Too bad it's not. =P DB has already said time and time again they are officially stopping fansubs of Shippuuden on the 15th in support of the official release. Which is really awesome; I've been waiting for some sort of official release so I didn't resort to fansubs.

Although I rather watch the dub, but that's still a long time away. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9