• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Half-Season Princess Resurrection, Clannad Sets Slated

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Tomoyo when you here I feel happy. I have no idea why? ~_~ Even though you praise ADV for being idiots, its ok though just don't kick me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
If we all tell them we will not buy Clannad sub-only you will not have to worry that ADV will license and sub-only your favorite anime.

That isn't a big concern for me given the number of R2 DVDs (which have neither English dubs or subtitles) I have purchased over the years simply because I loved the series in question and figured it would never be available in R1. In most cases I have been correct in that assessment, but sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised: my R2s for Air are sitting on the shelf right beside the ADV collector box for the same series, and the R2s for Aria: The Animation are keeping my Nozomi release company. So I don't see any downside for me in being able to get every single episode of Clannad on DVD, complete with English subtitles, for not much more than it would cost to import one single volume - that's just two episodes, BTW - of the R2 release.

That said, I would have liked to have seen Clannad get an English dub simply because it would make more people happy. Usually I only turn on the dub track out of morbid curiosity, or for shows where the dialogue consistently takes a back seat to the action, but I don't begrudge anyone else who prefers to get their anime fix in that format. However, all other things being equal, the presence or absence of a dub doesn't affect my own purchasing decision in the least.
spoon89

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
wow, things are rly different this year Surprised
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
poehitman wrote:
Don't give me the "moral obligation" crap. It's a business. Plain and simple. You want me to buy your product, then you need to offer something that I want to buy. With a sub-only release, they don't do that.

Where are their morals and ethics when they completely snub the dub fans by licensing a series and not dubbing it? It's a monetary business decision. I can respect it. But I'm also making a "monetary business decision" by sticking with my fansubs if they aren't going to put forth the effort to put out something worth buying, then I'm not putting forth my valuable anime funds to buy it. I can be cold and calculating too.

I don't think "I'm not going to buy licensed subtitled DVDs, I'm going to stick to illegal subtitled fansubs instead" is all that persuasive an argument.

QFT. Seriously, there's no excuse. But...I guess "morals" don't matter anymore, do they?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
QFT. Seriously, there's no excuse. But...I guess "morals" don't matter anymore, do they?

Of course they do, but if you're not going to support a release you disagree with there's no reason to keep yourself from the series entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

Of course they do, but if you're not going to support a release you disagree with there's no reason to keep yourself from the series entirely.

Yeah, because it's OK to illegally download something you had no right to pilfer in the first place anyway, but even if you were content to watch it subtitled, and you're going to whine about a lack of a dub, well, yeah, let's show ADV because they can't afford dubs they're being SO TERRIBLE to us and let's ruin them forever! That'll show them!

Also:

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

<edit>
And you know what? I've got half a mind to email ADV and tell them I approve of the way they're doing their release of Clannad.
</edit>

Way to be accepting and tolerating of other peoples' preferences. Confused
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, because it's OK to illegally download something you had no right to pilfer in the first place anyway, but even if you were content to watch it subtitled, and you're going to whine about a lack of a dub, well, yeah, let's show ADV because they can't afford dubs they're being SO TERRIBLE to us and let's ruin them forever! That'll show them!

Um...well, legality aside, I'm not going to go back to the "watch and delete" morally being the same as watching it on TV. As for "whining about a lack of a dub" there's a difference in getting a file that's been done as a labor of love for free and watching a supposedly professional company do little more than the same thing. You've got some place to talk about me "whining" anyway, weren't you complaining about this release just a few pages back? But now the tune changes just because someone supports fansubs? Funny how that works. >_>

Anyway, yeah. With how few extras they've produced lately, I expect little more than subs on a disc here. Expecting money for that is just as bad as paying bootleggers, imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch fansubs myself, OK? Therefore, I have no moral obligation to buy these shows myself. And watching fansubs for free is NOT the same as watching these shows on TV -- because, um, most anime now in Japan is on subscription cable services, so no, it's not "free" over there, either.

Also, buying a sub-only release is as bad as supporting bootlegs?

These fellas would fail to see the sensibility of that argument.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I don't watch fansubs myself, OK? Therefore, I have no moral obligation to buy these shows myself. And watching fansubs for free is NOT the same as watching these shows on TV -- because, um, most anime now in Japan is on subscription cable services, so no, it's not "free" over there, either.

Now, that's not true at all.

About 75% of new anime is on the digital broadcast or BS sattelite free channels. The other 25% is on wowow or animax. Animax (which is the pay channel you are referring to ) has a lot of OLDER anime, but for new stuff "most" is simply wrong.

On the other hand, no TV in Japan is "free" because everyone with a TV is required to pay about $300 a year to NHK to the government for the service.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid I don't get the "joke" or point, or whatever the two pictures are representing, but yeah.

Bootleggers take fansubs (or craft horribly crappy translations themselves), make a fancy package, and then burn it to a DVD. No dub, no extras, etc.

How is that any different, from a technical standpoint, from what ADV is doing?

Let me say I hate bootlegs as much as the next guy (or girl), but when it's the only thing to purchase with a remotely professional job, I'll do it. Case in point: My recent Sisters of Wellber set. Off-topic, but I'm still hoping someone will license it someday! xD
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
OK, I stand corrected on that point, but the fact that nobody gets to watch TV for completely free is still relevant. I mean, you only get to watch Geass and Death Note on AS because you pay the cable company a monthly fee.

EDIT: Because they don't just burn fansubs to a DVD, ADV does their own translation. Please do some reading on how the professional translation process works before assuming these things. And buying bootlegs supports criminal activities over in Hong Kong and Taiwan, but buying from ADV feeds the money back to the original creators.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
CakeStealer wrote:
Excellent move, ADV. Will buy Clannad.

Does anyone know if either of these will have an english dub on them?

no they are going to be sub only. Good move adv you own my wallet
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
How is that any different, from a technical standpoint, from what ADV is doing?

Easy. The creators give their consent and get some money from ADV's release. In the case of bootleggers, all of the profit goes right into the pockets of criminals. Also, as was already mentioned, ADV does their own work.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The confusion here is that one person believes they are paying for the _service_ that the R1 companies provide... namely creating DVDs with subtitles and/or dubs and packaging.

The other believes that they are paying for the _right_ to watch the show itself.

If you simply take the view that everyone has the right to view the show, without any compensation to the creators, then yes, a subbed only R1 release is no better than a bootleg.

But you're not just paying for the DVD authoring. You are paying for the content. By buying a bootleg you are stealing the _content_ and simply paying for the service the bootleggers are providing.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This is why I said from a technical standpoint. I didn't say anything about the morals behind it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 27