• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones' Sword of the Stranger Film Opens in U.S. Today

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

We had no audio or video problems, though it did take a few minutes for them to turn off the lights in the room after the movie had started.

Funny, that was the only glitch at all with my screening, too. Well, that and the fact that it felt as though the theater flipped on the air conditioning at one point...which was not so great, considering it was below 20 outside. Very Happy
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Alright. I went to post about this a little while ago and I swear that there was no such thread. I thought that this was very odd so I searched the forums and all I found was the original review thread from six months ago. Scratching my head I went ahead and posted in it and as soon as I returned to the forum, there sat this thread as plain as day. Straaaange!

Here's what I had to say:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
In view of last night's event, I thought that I'd dig up this old thread* instead of starting a new one. The old comments are still as valid as they were six months ago.

I saw the fansub of this at the time and liked it. I saw the English dubs last night at the theater and liked it a whole lot. This is one of those that is best seen at the theater. So if you didn't go, too bad! =0p I saw it at one with nice, big, cushy seats; an excellent sound system that was a bit out of balance; a huge screen and a large audience capacity which was depressingly no where near half full. The most unpleasant thing about the whole evening was the $12.50 admission price. I almost walked out, but then I figured that I owe the industry a lot more than that so, armed with this excuse, I paid up.

I agree with most of the statements above except to say that the criticisms are just nit picking. Some people just have to find fault with everything, I guess. Sure the plot wasn't fresh and new but then I haven't seen anything I'd call a 'new plot' in a very long time.

The comments above were not about the English dubs I saw last night. I thought that they did an excellent job mostly. They weren't perfect but I wasn't expecting perfection. The thought of coming up with a translation that follows the original dialogue and then speaking them in a believable way so that they come even close to matching the already animated flapping lips is quite enough to make me admire anyone who even makes the attempt. Kudos to all involved!

No one has even mentioned the musical score which I thought was excellent. The use of uilleann pipes and penny whistles were a bit surprising though. They fit, but they are hardly anything you would have heard in Japan at the time. Then again, you wouldn't have heard a symphony orchestra either.

----
*Look! I was right! I did gig it up! =0D

I believe that the $12.50 price tag was universal. Odd that they never mentioned that in any of the promos. You can thank Bandai for that, the industry's price gouger (Don't get me started. That's a whole 'nother rant).
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
I believe that the $12.50 price tag was universal. Odd that they never mentioned that in any of the promos. You can thank Bandai for that, the industry's price gouger (Don't get me started. That's a whole 'nother rant).

Actually, the price was due to it being a Fathom special event. That was the explanation given to me when I bought my ticket.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:

Actually, the price was due to it being a Fathom special event. That was the explanation given to me when I bought my ticket.
What you were told probably just meant that the theater didn't set the price. That doesn't necessarily mean that the price wasn't so high because Bandai didn't demand a bigger cut of the profits. Of course, that doesn't mean that it did either.

Otoh, I returned to the Fathom website and found this in their FAQ:
Quote:
Why are Fathom's events sometimes priced differently than that of a movie?
Given the exclusive nature of Fathom events, coupled with signifiant production and transmission costs, Fathom prices its events in order to offer consumers the best value for their entertainment dollar. Prices may vary from location to location as final event prices are determined by the participating theater
That's a cute euphemism, "priced differently". Sounds very PC doesn't it? =0D I guess we're not likely to find out just why we had to pay so much. It doesn't really matter in the end. You either pay up or turn around and go home.

They claim to transmit the show to the theaters, but if that were so how could the program be re-started as so many above say happened?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
shadysudowoodo wrote:
My theater had problems too. The sound for the movie started about 15 minutes before the movie was supposed to start. They stopped it after about 5 minutes and then we had to wait for 25 more minutes for them to get the sound and video to match.

Heh, quite the same for my theater actually, although it didn't take quite that long for them to fix it, and the video actually started first with no sound until about the end of where he's telling you to stay after for the extras, so they eventually had to start the movie over from the beginning again. And then about halfway through those said extras after the movie we lost the video entirely and only got the audio for the rest of it..... >.> Sounds to me like I wasn't the only one who had technical mishaps though.

In any case, I quite enjoyed the movie nonetheless. It was definitely my kind of samurai swordfighting, martial arts movie. Cool We really need more stuff like this to come to theaters around here more often. The only times there have been we've either not had one anywhere in the state of Utah or the closest it was playing to me within the state of Utah was a place that was not very easy for me to travel to...... This time though it was playing in a theater just a nice little 30 minute bus ride up from where I live and then just a little extra 10-15 minute walk, so it was very convenient.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:

I've been to 3 Fathom Events showings in the last year and they were only $10.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
daedelus wrote:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:

I've been to 3 Fathom Events showings in the last year and they were only $10.
Ah ha! Just as if I had thought!
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

- Dub. Great dub, and the chinese was spot on too. Nicely done.

I'll take your word for the English, but did they redo the Chinese or keep it? I thought the original sounded pretty fake (and I'm not even Chinese)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

I'll take your word for the English, but did they redo the Chinese or keep it? I thought the original sounded pretty fake (and I'm not even Chinese)

They kept it, which is pretty dumb. It'd have sounded better if they re-dubbed with real Chinese.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks. Oh well. I've heard worse though (like the German in Nodame Cantible)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
configspace wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

They kept it, which is pretty dumb. It'd have sounded better if they re-dubbed with real Chinese.

Oh c'mon! They kept something from the original. I thought fans like it when they keep more things from the original, warts and all! Laughing
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
That, and it meant they only had to make sure the English actors sounded like those speaking Chinese. Redub the Chinese, and then you have to find two sets of actors that sound similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess my complaint is not so logical when I think about it. Because in order to have the most authentic dubbing, you'd leave the Japanese track and redo the Chinese with real Chinese. In fact, you'd probably have more Chinese spoken in the film. Likewise with other anime. To get an authentic dub, Monster would be in German, Gunslinger Girl in Italian, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4