• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Licenses Lucky Star OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well dubs are quite useful for people who are doing a bit of multitasking, people who get a headache by having to look at subs for 21 minutes.. I mean it's not like they don't dub our stuff in japan too.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, the dub-haters are out in force today.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I didn't really enjoy Lucky Star before until I listened to the English dub. I mean, some of the jokes were funny before, but there seemed to be a familiarity with the dub than the sub, and that's where the humor is derived from: familiarity.

The only exception, though, was with Patricia's dub, who sounds like Mr. Bill.

Or whatever that clay thing was.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to picking this up. Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I mean it's not like they don't dub our stuff in japan too.

About everything over there will be dubbed in Japanese. But the nice thing also is that if they show movies from here, they also give you the option of seeing it in English with Japanese subtitles.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
And don't we get that every same option on our anime DVD's? I don't see your point.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
And don't we get that every same option on our anime DVD's? I don't see your point.

Yes, but not every title over in Japan comes with English subtitles. I was talking about movies in the movie theaters.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Well it's not like we bother to give international movies the time of day here unless it's getting nominated for an award or something.
mulrich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Watching stuff with subtitles is a matter of getting used to it. As I said in an earlier post, most stuff doesn't get dubbed, but subbed. Growing up with subtitles, they just became part of the picture and I learned to read them passively while watching. Of course, these days, when watching stuff from America or Britain, I don't even read them passively, but rather just listen since I understand it anyway.

For anime, I committed a typical beginner's crime, as some people call it, including myself, of watching stuff dubbed in English, because that's what I was comfortable with. However, one day, I started a show where a dub was unavailable - yes, it was a sub-only DVD rip I downloaded off the web - and over the course of 24 episodes, I just got used to hearing Japanese. 4½ years have passed since then, and I've become pretty interested in the Japanese language, and the culture. So much in fact that I've applied to study Japanese at university. (How's that for anime making an impact on someone's life?)

All of this could just be me, I've always liked reading, but I dare stand by my claim that watching stuff subbed is a matter of getting used to it.

EDIT: Side-note, no, this post is not supposed to be objective at all. I really dislike dubs.

Last edited by mulrich on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Objective or not you're still wrong. Most shows do get dubs. I usually go with whatever I prefer or if a show has a particular voice actor or seiyuu I like.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
I don't follow which shows have what that closely, besides knowing that practically everything that Nozomi these days is releasing everything subbed. Gurren Lagan is the first series I have heard of while following anime that is the first series that is subbed only that is not from Nozomi. There may be more but like I said I don't follow the track formats that closely.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
I actually didn't like the OVA. It felt too "out there" even for an anime. I would have liked if it just fallowed them to/during college and just did their thing instead of the small segments like they did, but that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mulrich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
Objective or not you're still wrong. Most shows do get dubs.

No, I'm not. Most stuff in Denmark doesn't get dubbed. When someone references to an earlier post, please make sure you know the content of said post before making a comment like that.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Well I would assume it was america because that's what fighterholic and I were talking about.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Objective or not you're still wrong. Most shows do get dubs.

No, I'm not. Most stuff in Denmark doesn't get dubbed. When someone references to an earlier post, please make sure you know the content of said post before making a comment like that.

There was obviously some kind of barrier here because I do believe that ZP and I were on the page of series getting dubbed here in America. The barrier was that both of you were talking on different pages regarding countries and where you both live. But that is still interesting that they do not dub most of their stuff in Denmark. However, given Denmark's location in the world versus America, the demand for dubs I would think is quite different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6