• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-03-04

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Someone who isn't going to get what they want in life simply by yelling at it.

Sage wisdom from forums user "dtm42".
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Looks like Robin finally saw GL. We'd like to welcome you to two years ago, but we hope you enjoy it regardless, it's a good show and will probably end up being a classic simply because of amazingly simply message and spectacular animation.

So just because not everyone has seen this show in...THAT format, you think you have the right to mock them? Just because they aren't as "up to date" as everyone else? Wow, how mature.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Welcome to my world. Try telling that to retail customers when they complain about the prices of everything going up. They'll complain even if it's ten cents more for an item these days. I know that you're all hit by the economy but give me a break.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
You know, before I finished the strip, I really thought it was taking place at the DMV.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Sage wisdom from forums user "dtm42".

Seriously, if you think that is wisdom speaking then you need to get out more. It's just good old fashioned common sense.

Oh, you were being sarcastic? Well, okay then, carry on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do like a good wish-fulfilment story, such as Death Note or X-Men (to a point). But Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann goes too far in my opinion. Where is the internal consistency? The only rule it follows is the Rule of Cool, which is great if you want wish-fulfilment, but a poor setup if you want anything else. Forget hard work and improving yourself, and forget worrying about losing; TTGL maintains that simply yelling loud enough at the universe will Make Everything All Right. Perhaps bringing my brain to what is a mindless, brainless show is a mistake. But then, watching a show that is so gormless in the first place is an even bigger mistake.

No, I'm not trolling, in case you were wondering. I am simply sick and tired of holding in my opinion of what is the most overrated show since The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. But unlike its predecessor, it isn't even good (though Haruhi was pretty borderline). Every time someone waxes lyrically about TTGL, my blood pressure soars. More importantly, a cute kitten dies. So stop killing cute kittens and start watching shows that aren't the latest passing fad.

Anyway, I liked this week's comic. It points out just how absurd the whole concept really is when applied to something resembling real life. That sort of attitude will get you laughed down or even arrested if you're not careful.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd prefer to wet myself during an economics lecture than perform that ridiculous bit of dialogue in front of even a dozen people.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Forget hard work and improving yourself, and forget worrying about losing; TTGL maintains that simply yelling loud enough at the universe will Make Everything All Right.

Well, hang on now. You can't just shout at the universe. You've got to have the spirit and the will to match. S'all about the self-esteem and gathering the indomitable will to fight on for whatever is worth fighting for.
Only once you have that, can you shout at the universe to Make Everything All Right.

I think only people with a certain level of spiral power can get it. Smile

Last edited by _Earthwyrm_ on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
RenTers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
Don't forget to buy some sunglasses Nina~

Also, I have never seen TTGL, but with the internet hype/spoilers, I already know the whole story.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Publically = publicly, but I've never heard anyone pronounce it like that strip. Laughing

And that left-hand pinky has too many joints.......... like a witch!
Burn her! Unless she doesn't float like a log.... Laughing
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Looks like Robin finally saw GL. We'd like to welcome you to two years ago, but we hope you enjoy it regardless

You're making a gross assumption here that just because this is the first Gurren Lagann reference (I don't even think it is?) that she hadn't seen it until now. But I guess "we" (meaning you) can't expect someone who works for a professional site to be as cutting edge with the anime they watch.

That'd just be silly.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWER!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Opinion about TTGL

Okay, I hate to have to call you on this since I'm also a big Code Geass fan, but hearing you criticize TTGL for being an extremely energetic show and thematically unassuming sounds rather hypocritical, coming from a guy who waxes lyrical about CG every time it comes up. You're bashing one show for espousing the virtuosity of over-simplified attitudes towards life, but not the other (and don't tell me that you honestly think Lelouch was on the right track with his "kill yourselves" approach towards using Geass).

Furthermore, both shows have a similar taste for grand theatrics; however, where TTGL is aware that at its core it is a kid's show -- and therefore makes consistently appropriate use of its previously mentioned energy -- CG sometimes takes itself too seriously, or not seriously enough for that matter (ala Arthur stealing Lelouch's mask in season 1).

Anyway, your criticisms of TTGL were a little too serious business, is all I'm saying. You dislike the the show, that's cool; but don't justify your opinion on the basis of the show's supposed immaturity, when there are a plethora of other hits out there that are similarly structured.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Couldn't Nina just claim it as a business expense on her taxes at the end of the year? Very Happy And here we see another example of how years of working for the postal service can drive people to homicidal acts. Glad I tip my mailman each year.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
coming from a guy who waxes lyrical about CG every time it comes up.

With all due respect, have you ever heard me talk about what a total disaster most of Code Geass: R2 was? If you thought I gave TTGL a hard time, you should check out my many, many no-holds-barred rants about that particular train-wreck.

I guess I'm an equal opportunity kind of ranter. Hah.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Hah! If only all lives problems could be solved with robot-show hero speeches Anime smile Great strip!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7