• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Shippūden's Main English Dubbing Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I do hope they keep pretty much all of the same cast together for the Shippuuden dub. I just can't imagine a new voice actor for a returning character.

But anyway, on a happier note, yay for Kate Higgins as Sakura! ^^

I agree. it would be really weird if new voices would be for the dub though a new voice for the older naruto would be better and not sound like he's 12 cause having someone as naruto's age now ans sound like a girl will not please hardcore fans at all. Lets just hope they don't pull a 4kids for the shippuden series.

Also in my view like in the last thread,the best VA for the old naruto would be funi's Vic a.k.a Edward Elric.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I do hope they keep pretty much all of the same cast together for the Shippuuden dub. I just can't imagine a new voice actor for a returning character.

But anyway, on a happier note, yay for Kate Higgins as Sakura! ^^

I agree. it would be really weird if new voices would be for the dub though a new voice for the older naruto would be better and not sound like he's 12 cause having someone as naruto's age now ans sound like a girl will not please hardcore fans at all. Lets just hope they don't pull a 4kids for the shippuden series.

Also in my view like in the last thread,the best VA for the old naruto would be funi's Vic a.k.a Edward Elric.

Vic's voice is distinct enough from Maile's that it'd be hard to tell it's the same character. Vic just ain't got the same kind of grit in his voice that Maile's Naruto does. They could presumably edge us into Vic, but I don't know how they could give us an evolution of the voice into Vic without detracting from the plot. It'd probably just be easier to bring Maile Flanagan back as Naruto. It's not like she did a bad job as Naruto in the first series or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
True. the main voice for naruto for the first series is decent enough. However hardcore anime fans might think the're trying to americanized the series by using the same young voice for the older naruto. Sure it's ok,but a 15-16 yr old sounding like a 11-12 yr old don't fit at all. Am i right??

Also sure it would've been a stretch for Vic to cast as the older naruto but it's was worth a mention since the main naruto fans are those fangirls,which would make me think that other than vic, JYB (Lelouch from CG) might do fine as the older naruto. A lot of those fangirls might love that idea especially CG fans since Yuri is returning as saskue,but with them doing american roles (JYB in Nicktoons Three Delivery & Yuri in Cartoon Network's Ben 10: Alien Force series) i kinda doubt that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
This news is great and all, but what I really want to know is WHEN and WHERE the english dub of Naruto Shippuden will be released Very Happy.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
This news is great and all, but what I really want to know is WHEN and WHERE the english dub of Naruto Shippuden will be released Very Happy.

I say August 2011.

Feel free to disagree if you like.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:

I say August 2011.

Feel free to disagree if you like.

If you don't mind me asking, why that date?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
True. the main voice for naruto for the first series is decent enough. However hardcore anime fans might think the're trying to americanized the series by using the same young voice for the older naruto. Sure it's ok,but a 15-16 yr old sounding like a 11-12 yr old don't fit at all. Am i right??

People just need to give her a chance before pulling out the pitchforks. We don't know her range, she could be even better as older Naruto. In the first series there were several points where she had Naruto speaking in a very low or determined voice (such with his final fight with Sasuke). If she can do that type of voice there then I'm confident she can slightly deepen the voice as needed.

Vic's voice is just much too clear and high for Naruto. When he does a deeper voice he loses the young qualities. Johnny is even worse with and even older voice. Besides, there are plenty of new potential characters for him to do like spoiler[real Sasori, Suigetsu, or Sora as well as a plethora of other filler characters].

babynaruto1 wrote:

If it doesn't get shown on TV (I still believe it will be) and if we assumed DVDs will start coming out when the current series finishes its run, then we're looking at about February 2010 at the latest (if they continue releasing box sets at the current rate of one every two months, with at most five sets left to go)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

People just need to give her a chance before pulling out the pitchforks. We don't know her range, she could be even better as older Naruto. In the first series there were several points where she had Naruto speaking in a very low or determined voice (such with his final fight with Sasuke). If she can do that type of voice there then I'm confident she can slightly deepen the voice as needed.

Vic's voice is just much too clear and high for Naruto. When he does a deeper voice he loses the young qualities. Johnny is even worse with and even older voice. Besides, there are plenty of new potential characters for him to do like spoiler[real Sasori, Suigetsu, or Sora as well as a plethora of other filler characters].

You have a good and vaild case there,and of course there's the case that some people don't want another ichigo clone too.However, if the rumors are correct, he might actually cast as the 4th or as sai no less.Now that i'll be really be intersting seeing him as the 4th,or as sai,but those dub bashers will probably call out "bloody murder" and will be looking to lopp off viz's heads..

Also i have no problem with the casting for naruto's voice.

Unfortunately, a lot of those anti dubbers and hardcore fansubbers who are just looking for any excuse to compare the dub versions of naruto and it's sequel as another 4kids clone might say otherwise.Especially after viz did a medicore service to blue dragon.

babynaruto1 wrote:

Emerje wrote:
If it doesn't get shown on TV (I still believe it will be) and if we assumed DVDs will start coming out when the current series finishes its run, then we're looking at about February 2010 at the latest (if they continue releasing box sets at the current rate of one every two months, with at most five sets left to go)

Emerje

Don't have to worry.I'm preety sure it'll show on TV,and since the original is preety much absorbed by cartoon network,i'm preety sure the shippuden series will be too,or probably be on the AS broadcast. If i had to guess it'll probably be at early fall at the latest for the TV broadcast or if Viz Media pull a gurren laggan,they might have a sub-only mini box set first and then release them in HYB format for the full season box set.

Also whoever said that i'll come out in 2011 must be out of their mind cause there's no way it'll happen PERIOD!!!!
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

However, if the rumors are correct, he might actually cast as the 4th or as sai no less.

That'd be quite the feat considering the 4th has yet to speak in either the anime or the video games.
mo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
jeez....where to begin....how about on-topic? while it IS completely NOT a surprise that the cast has remained unchanged, I have one eentsy weentsy question for Flanagan-chan, after watching that clip of Ultimate Ninja 4 and the English dub trailer for Naruto: Shippuden: didn't anyone inform Miss Maile that Naruto has, according to the story CHANGED over the last few years???!!! I think everyone knows that boys voices change fairly dramatically during their early teens, and this is reflected in the Japanese actor's voice - not so much that you don't recognize the character, but there is a difference. As there is with ALL the characters in the Shippuden Japanese cast - and I am not just talking about the former genin. Even the adults (at some times more than others) sound like they've aged a bit.

That is because this series is entirely darker, entirely more ADULT than the first series. Childhood - and Innocence - HAVE BITTERLY ENDED. If Maile Flanagan intends on continuing to holler at everyone with that non-stop monotone, she is going to destroy what, for me, has been one of the most satisfying and well-done continuing stories in anime to date; for anyone who hasn't been watching I guarantee you by (and most definitely by the close of) episode 31 (& most likely MUCH MUCH sooner than that) you will be shedding tears involuntarily and proliferously.

This is NOT the same Naruto - while he may still be a knucklehead - a duck is a duck is a duck - this Naruto is fully aware & cognizant of not only that but oh-so-much more. THINGS HAVE HAPPENED while he's been gone from the Hidden Leaf with Jiraiya for the last 2.5 yrs. The good news about Sakura is that if she does go around yelling at everyone - well, that's because SHE CAN WALK IT NOW. No more fuitility for that little cherry blossom, su-ba-ra-shii!!!

Oh Please Oh Please Is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn still directing? I have faith in her abilities & experience - she won't let me down!!

Yuri Lowenthal has RANGE coming out of his ears and many other orifices of his body, so I haven't any doubts there. In fact, my ONLY doubts lie with the main character. Fortunately, this series has enough supporting storyline and characters that maybe if nothing can be done about Flanagan-chan's voice, I'll just flip to the Japanese audio on the DVD during the episodes that are Naruto-centric.

Since the rest of what I have to say is regarding the (oh, alright, I'll be fair) the possibility (*cough* INEVITABILITY) of on-air editing (*cough* HACKING, DESTROYING) issue I guess I'll begin another post as this one has gone on rather long. Sumimasen - but as I am a Narutotaku, I simply cannot just let this lie.

Last edited by mo-chan on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to respond to mo-chan's post, but instead I'll just link to here and clarify that Naruto's VA is female.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I've seen alot of people say things like "I guess [Naruto Shippuden] will just have to be on Adult Swim" or "I'm sure CN will move the show to the Adult Swim broadcast" - and at first, that's what I thought, as well. Then I found out that Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are not owned by exactly the same company. To many of you, this is going to sound like I'm splitting hairs, but to anyone who understands a thing or two about licensing, you'll get my drift fairly quickly. Cartoon Network's ownership falls under Time Warner. Adult Swim is owned by Turner Broadcasting System. And while Time Warner is technically owned by Turner Broadcasting, the question is: will the owners of the Naruto license (that'd be Viz/Funimation) be so willing to just say "oh sure, just go on ahead and transfer Time Warner's rights over to Turner Broadcasting, np,"

My guess - in light of all the hopping skipping and jumping in the broadcast schedule (which used to be just SATURATED with Naruto airings, then just ABRUPTLY dropped off) - all parties involved have been hashing out the monetary details for some time now. It's obvious there's some kind of hold-up - how's that? well, you can now watch Naruto: Shippuden, subtitled and uncut, for free from episode 1-101 right here on Anime News Network, courtesy of Joost(although for some reason they are missing episode 100). And ep 101 was avbl like 2 days after it was released in Japan. Only thing is - in Japan, eps 101 AND 102 were aired as a one-hour special....?? yare yare whatever.....

It's just as well - when I first realized to what extent they've been chopping up Naruto episodes - I'm now referring to the first series - I realized there wasn't any way possible they were going to be able to air Shippuden on US broadcast tv - well, not without editing out MAJOR portions of the content AND dialogue. UNLESS they can agree to move it to the Adult Swim broadcast. The content alone would get it rejected from even the latest of Cartoon Network's airtimes, nvrmind all the swearing.

Oooops I'm digressing - I am going to describe for you all the defining moment for me anyways that epitomizes how far CN has been taking the editing thing.
spoiler[ In the Yakumo/Kurenai-sensei story arc towards the end of the first Naruto series - it's either episode 204, 205, or 206 - there's a scene in which Sakura trips over an unconscious Naruto's feet that are in the road. Upon pulling him out of the bushes, the group realize he's under a genjutsu, and in the original uncut episode, Akamaru proceeds, quite cutely & & very hilariously, I might add, to take a pee on Naruto's cheek. Everyone starts laughing and Sakura releases the genjutsu. In the CN version, Sakura just releases the genjutsu, and Naruto comes to, with liquid on his face, and everyone is laughing but the viewer has NO F-IN' CLUE WHY!!!!

Would someone like to offer me reason - oh please just even throw some nonsense out there even - as to why what how in the heck is that an offense to the censors???!!! Akamaru's red rocket wasn't hanging out or anything! and he's wees for all of about 2.5 seconds flat, if that!! Maybe it's becuz he's yips while he does it? naze?! doshita?!!! WHY?!!! For the love of....even if heaven forgives you, I refuse to! Oh crap, I'm getting my anime series all mixed up, *smack* all better now....]

so maybe with all that goes on in shippuden - because it gets WAAYY more hectic than that - it's just better this way, and wait for the DVDs? Rolling Eyes
mo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I'd like to respond to mo-chan's post, but instead I'll just link to here and clarify that Naruto's VA is female.

thank you for that - my bad
will edit appropriately

[edit] edit complete!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, if editing is that big of a concern for you, you should buy the DVDs. As for Maile not being able to handle future serious scenes, I'd argue the Sasuke Retrieval arc begs to differ. Maile handled it nicely, and any moment that required Naruto to be sad and/or serious was handled nicely. Yes, Part 2 is much more mature than Part 1 (in fact I can't see Cartoon Network airing the episodes that will (manga spoilers!) spoiler[morally justify (though your mileage may vary here) the slaughter of an entire group of people], and since Adult Swim has said it's not interested in Naruto, I figured a straight-to-DVD release would happen eventually), but Maile IMHO has shown she can handle the serious and tragic moments that are to come.

Though I think you're overplaying how dark Naruto has gotten. Yes, it's beginning to push what modern shonen can get away with like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note, but there's enough comedic material to keep it from becoming insanely depressing, and while the permanent death count for the good guys is possibly the highest for a recent shonen series save Death Note, it's not at Berserk/Gantz level by any means.

We haven't even heard proper dub clips for Shippuden, so let's try to reserve ultimate judgment until the proper product has been seen, fair enough?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, mo-chan is pretty passionate, but I agree with doctordoom85. TV edits are what they are and when it comes to advertiser dollars over direct consumer dollars they're going to play it safe and try not to offend people as much as possible. On the plus side, if there isn't an edited version of Shippuuden then there will be fewer edited DVDs taking up space on the shelves. I agree on Maile as well and I've said before, she's shown an ability to nail Naruto's character when it counts. She did it during the bridge arc, she did it during the Chunin Exams, She did it during his fight with Gaara, she did it during the search for Sasuke and their fight, and I'm positive she can do it again in Shippuuden under the correct direction.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5