• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shikabane Hime: Kuro Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... now you're making me want to give this series a second chance in its sequel. Anime hyper Maybe I'll watch a few more episodes to see if I can get back into it again. The first episode (sans Keisei and with some annoying humor interruptions at inopportune moments in the dark storyline) turned me off on it, but hey, first episodes sometimes stink.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
You lie, Kimlinger.

Even though the series jumps six months ahead, it still took half of S2 for Makina and Ouri to get over the death of Keisei, made even more unbearable by the terrible script and performances. It was drawn-out, tedious, and had far less action than it should have had.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
I liked the show, and though I haven't liked some of Carl's harsher reviews I think I agree with him on both of these. It's by no means a masterpiece, but it's a reasonably good show that I certainly didn't feel like I wasted time watching. I was addicted to it for a few weeks.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
You lie, Kimlinger.

Even though the series jumps six months ahead, it still took half of S2 for Makina and Ouri to get over the death of Keisei, made even more unbearable by the terrible script and performances. It was drawn-out, tedious, and had far less action than it should have had.

I'm gonna have to agree with this, why is that series I hate seem to get praised by Carl while series I like gets the harsh treatment. Shikabane Hime was a huge disappointment and Kuro added on to it by being more boring and meddling thanks to the bad acting and stale characters, the ending is....well...I guess we'll have to wait for the last DVD release to see it.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
It did have some cool zombie action, but I was still so surprised by how little Shikabane Hime did for me. It's okay that Carl likes this, but I'm wondering if he would have still given this series the praise he did if it wasn't Gainax.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Also Gainax only worked on the first season not the second.

No, they most certainly worked on both seasons. Where on earth did you get that bit of misinformation??

I'm kind of amazed at the backlash here. People seemed pretty upbeat about this series in the review of the first season, and so far everyone's been bashing this one. It's a bit of a switch around, to say the least.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
Also Gainax only worked on the first season not the second.

No, they most certainly worked on both seasons. Where on earth did you get that bit of misinformation??

I'm kind of amazed at the backlash here. People seemed pretty upbeat about this series in the review of the first season, and so far everyone's been bashing this one. It's a bit of a switch around, to say the least.

I think your the only one who's misinform here buddy, Feel and Gainax partnered together to adapt the series into a thirteen episode anime series and Feel did the second season entirely. It's not just the second season it's the anime entirely the first season also had it's down times and the only thing people remember about it is spoiler[ Keisei's death ] the second season gets more backlash for being completely lackluster and adding unnecessary elements to the cast to BOOST ratings, there's also NO ENDING.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Now that's what a review is about.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Major props, Carl. I enjoyed all of Shikabane Hime. S2 definitely wasn't as good as the first, but it was still highly enjoyable all the same. I don't understand why people seem to hate Kuro so much. Sure Kuro has more flaws and annoyances than Aka, but it wasn't enough to tarnish my enjoyment of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Major props, Carl. I enjoyed all of Shikabane Hime. S2 definitely wasn't as good as the first, but it was still highly enjoyable all the same. I don't understand why people seem to hate Kuro so much. Sure Kuro has more flaws and annoyances than Aka, but it wasn't enough to tarnish my enjoyment of it.

That's the key word there pal, your enjoyment. Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
I think your the only one who's misinform here buddy, Feel and Gainax partnered together to adapt the series into a thirteen episode anime series and Feel did the second season entirely. It's not just the second season it's the anime entirely the first season also had it's down times and the only thing people remember about it is spoiler[ Keisei's death ] the second season gets more backlash for being completely lackluster and adding unnecessary elements to the cast to BOOST ratings, there's also NO ENDING.

First: I do not know you, and given the dickish attitude you're taking on this thread, I am certainly not your buddy.

Second: If I am misinformed, it's because of Anime News Network reporting it incorrectly. Go to the page for the series, and you'll see both Feel and GAINAX listed. If this is incorrect, and you have evidence to support it (beyond your own dislike of the second season), then feel free to correct it there.

Finally, I was simply making an observation that, given how much hate this second season is getting, I'm surprised more people didn't show up to bash the positive review of the first season on the grounds that the second was a let-down. Though since much of the hate seems to be just you, maybe it's not surprising...
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Finally, I was simply making an observation that, given how much hate this second season is getting, I'm surprised more people didn't show up to bash the positive review of the first season on the grounds that the second was a let-down. Though since much of the hate seems to be just you, maybe it's not surprising...

I advise you to read the readback for the first season again. There's a good bit of skepticism and talk of the series eventually going downhill. I thought the first season was deserving of a positive review. It was rather good. The second season removed many of the elements that made the first season so enjoyable though. For instance, action-horror anime shouldn't consist of full episodes of nothing but expositional talk and mulling over the same event for nearly half the season.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

First: I do not know you, and given the dickish attitude you're taking on this thread, I am certainly not your buddy.

Whoop-dee-doo, you're wrong and you're taking it out on me due to your own short-sided views, you deserve to be ridiculed.
vashfanatic wrote:

Second: If I am misinformed, it's because of Anime News Network reporting it incorrectly. Go to the page for the series, and you'll see both Feel and GAINAX listed. If this is incorrect, and you have evidence to support it (beyond your own dislike of the second season), then feel free to correct it there.

Once again your ignorance astounds me, the anime was a joint project between Gainax and Feel but Gainax was only involve with the first season while Feel did the the second solely, it only applies to the first season and way to overgeneralize anyone with an opinion I guess you can't have one nowadays.
vashfanatic wrote:

Wow how many people are posting genius? It's the same comments (unless your illiterate) "the first season was good but the second season was a letdown BUT I STILL ENJOYED IT" I disagree and thought that the series as a whole was boring and the second season didn't prove any different. It's obvious that you lack comprehensive skills to see this anyways. Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Once again your ignorance astounds me, the anime was a joint project between Gainax and Feel but Gainax was only involve with the first season while Feel did the the second solely, it only applies to the first season and way to overgeneralize anyone with an opinion I guess you can't have one nowadays.

I'm sorry, look at my post again. Did you even read it? On the page for the second season Anime News Network lists both Feel and Gainax working on the project. You keep repeating this claim, but you've yet to provide any evidence that it is true. Loud protestations do not equal accuracy. Give a link supporting your claim, and I'll believe you, I promise. But until then, people throw a lot of BS around on these forums and I've learned to be skeptical.

Especially since you just changed your story: first you said they did the first season jointly with Feel finishing it, now you're saying GAINAX did the first half and Feel did the second. Again, give me some evidence, and I'll be on board.

Splitter wrote:
I advise you to read the readback for the first season again. There's a good bit of skepticism and talk of the series eventually going downhill. I thought the first season was deserving of a positive review. It was rather good. The second season removed many of the elements that made the first season so enjoyable though. For instance, action-horror anime shouldn't consist of full episodes of nothing but expositional talk and mulling over the same event for nearly half the season.

I did go back and take a look at the first thread, and you're right, there were a few (about two or three) posts against it, which were left after I'd stopped following the thread. Mea culpa. And in the meantime we've had some supporters of the review to come in to counter the vociferousness of my "buddy," who didn't post anything on the first review. I as clearly too hasty in my analysis of both reviews; so far they're both somewhat balanced and I'll wait to see how they end up.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Especially since you just changed your story: first you said they did the first season jointly with Feel finishing it, now you're saying GAINAX did the first half and Feel did the second. Again, give me some evidence, and I'll be on board.

No I did not, I said " the anime was a joint project between Gainax and Feel but Gainax was only involve with the first season while Feel did the the second solely" meaning both Gainax and Feel animated the first season but only Feel animated the second
Here's your damn proof: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20080509
From when the series was first announced and this
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/11/12/second-shikabane-hime-series-scheduled/
Is when the second season was announced.

From the first link is here what they had to say on Shikabane Hime : it supposed to be 2 seasons anime like Minamike, first season produced with Gainax and the second by Feel solely it also says the writer for both seasons was Aikawa. Top it off with the sheer fact that the second season animation were rough in alot of areas compared to the first, so sir you may kindly shut the f*** up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3