• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - My Neighbor Tatara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
I would love to hear Vic Mignogna or other voice actors/actresses on the show. However, they are busy people.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Gonna jump in here and say that I, too, agree with Justin on the whole autograph thing. It all smacks of a bizarre hero worship that over-emphasizes the role of the author as individual in the production of a work of art's impact.

I'd love to talk philosophy if I met Anno or Shirow in an appropriate context, but having their signatures on some of my Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell stuff wouldn't change the effect of consuming said media.

Also, lol @ "Ph.D. from nerd school." If history doesn't work out for me, I'll look into that program.
elegante

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, all you AKB48 haters, please stay that way. This sounds kind of odd, but I'm a huge AKB fan, (though I won't be at the convention due to prior engagements), and I'm hoping that AKB fans similar to me will get good spots in the audience.

From the leading international AKB forum, it looks like most people who are going are not going for any type of anime reasoning, but only for the sixteen girls who are going. In addition to that, fans of idols are wota, not otaku. There's a difference, however small. Anyway, a bunch of the AKB fans going are buying one of those VIP passes to the convention just to see the girls perform.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if you're planning on attending the AKB48 show, please allow the AKB fans their moment to shine, since you have your anime convention!
rpger81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
^lol have to agree. FYI AKB48 is short for Akihabara48... yea the land of otaku. They perform sellout shows every day in their theater located in Akiba. I'm surprised so many of you here in this thread know nothing of them.

In the podcast one of the hosts ignorantly assumed they were young girls who sang about rainbows and kittens... that's far from the truth Laughing I'm in complete agreement that it should be 18+ only, no it's not a nude show or anything (Razz) but this group isn't really for the 12-yr old narutards.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
elegante wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if you're planning on attending the AKB48 show, please allow the AKB fans their moment to shine, since you have your anime convention!
rpger81 wrote:
I'm in complete agreement that it should be 18+ only, no it's not a nude show or anything (Razz) but this group isn't really for the 12-yr old narutards.
It is precisely for the fact that this group has nothing to do with anime at all, that I ask why should they even be there, in an anime convention of all places? Just so that they can perform for the likes of you people, when you didn't want anything to do with anime?

What? Because the AKB48 as a music group wouldn't had a fan base at all, unless they attached themselves to the existing anime fan base? That their musical performance wouldn't had a chance to be at "Webster Hall: New York City" if it wasn't for the fact that NYAF was there in the first place, instead of themselves making it out on their own? What? Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
elegante wrote:
In addition to that, fans of idols are wota, not otaku. There's a difference, however small.

I'm sure you know this already elegante, so this if for the benefit of other readers who probably aren't familiar with the distinction (or lack thereof).

Wota are otaku, just a subset of otaku. And according to a 2005 study, they are the second highest spending subset after manga otaku.

Keep in mind, otaku does not mean "anime fan." It's rather a designation for any person who is extremely dedicated to some pass-time or hobby. There are train otaku, travel otaku, ramen otaku, and yes, "idoru otaku."

The term wota (pronounced oh-ta) is simply "otaku" with the "ku" removed. It was invented by idol otaku to differentiate themselves from other otaku.

-t
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I thought it was a Bingo

Oh, you.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Zac wrote:

I thought it was a Bingo

Oh, you.

ahaha, yeha i thought that nice subtle quote he threw in was awesome xD

the movie has so many awesome quotable lines like that.
rpger81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
It is precisely for the fact that this group has nothing to do with anime at all, that I ask why should they even be there, in an anime convention of all places? Just so that they can perform for the likes of you people, when you didn't want anything to do with anime?

What? Because the AKB48 as a music group wouldn't had a fan base at all, unless they attached themselves to the existing anime fan base? That their musical performance wouldn't had a chance to be at "Webster Hall: New York City" if it wasn't for the fact that NYAF was there in the first place, instead of themselves making it out on their own?

They do have some relation with anime... although I wouldn't say much. I do agree tho, I don't think they should be in an American anime convention, period. I said the same thing with Morning Musume in LA... but it turned out very successful nonetheless.

Tempest pretty much nailed it on the head, like I said they aren't tied into anime much, but they are a staple of Akiba lifestyle, anime and idols pretty much go hand and hand. If people in the US don't know them fine, but understand that actual Japanese otaku like more than just watching cartoons.
MelonPunch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I think people are attaching way to much to the 18+ age limit. I think the preview concert is all ages, but Webster Hall has the age limit and from what I remember from when I lived in the area, it's usually 19+ so they must have managed to bargain that down but probably couldn't go any lower since it probably hinges on liquor license rules or something like that.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
rpger81 wrote:
They do have some relation with anime... although I wouldn't say much. I do agree tho, I don't think they should be in an American anime convention, period.
I just think that they need to set their priority straight. In a sense that there's no real talent nor skill behind the AKB48 stage performance, that will ever earn them a spot beyond Akibaki. And as long as they keep that attitude of them not wanting to have anything to do with anime convention, well we don't need them there either.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
performances at cons are weird I think unless it like the group that does the music for a certain anime. I mean I understand the wota/otaku thing but I still think its weird. I'm a big So Real Cru fan from ABDC and on their youtube channel they showed them at a con they like riding an escalator with pikachu and stuff. I was like wtf?.... I googled it they were actually at Anime Matsuri in TX. they from houston and asian soo that make them an anime performance? I think they're all pacific islanders actually but still. soo weird.

Thanks for talking about socially retarded fans who want to be professional so act professional jeez! lol. It's really sad that you even have to say this. I mean really! a cat girl? on your business card?! they only reason you should have a character on your business card is because you're an artist and thats the characther your known for! but... I will be looking forward to making fun of cosplaying press guys now that I know to look for them. ha ha so dumb.

I'm really sad that Zac wont be there this weekend=( . Who will actually be at the panel?! I know Justin is and I guess I'd be safe and assuming Robin, Bamboo and the Editor in cheif who's name escapes me right now.... what about Evan?! =(
rpger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
In a sense that there's no real talent nor skill behind the AKB48 stage performance, that will ever earn them a spot beyond Akibaki.

Curious as to what you mean? The performance at the recent Paris Anime Expo was spectacular.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
rpger81 wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
In a sense that there's no real talent nor skill behind the AKB48 stage performance, that will ever earn them a spot beyond Akibaki.

Curious as to what you mean? The performance at the recent Paris Anime Expo was spectacular.
But is the Paris Anime Expo anything like Akibaki of Japan? Therefore AKB48 should be there performing, even though that's how they started by attaching themselves to a particular Japanese habitat.
rpger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
rpger81 wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

But is the Paris Anime Expo anything like Akibaki of Japan? Therefore AKB48 should be there performing, even though that's how they started by attaching themselves to a particular Japanese habitat.

lol still don't know what you're getting at, my apologies ^^;

The Paris Expo they performed in a regular concert hall (well kinda, as they will in the US), it is different from their daily theater performances in Akiba but they also perform in very large venues such as Tokyo Dome and NHK Hall.

These girls are the most popular female idol group in Japan as of now. I still don't care for them being at an anime convention but hey, I can't hate having both my favorite things (anime and idols) in one place Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5