• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fists of Fury

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
what I wrote in the review reflected my own personal opinions and values... Notably, I actually enjoyed Ikki-Tousen, which involved high school girls getting their clothes ripped off, because I feel the tone was different, even though that show also offends tons of people.

Knowing that is why I was surprised at your vehemence regarding HiMM. If some others at ANN had written your review, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I see now why HiMM in particular produced that reaction.

SakechanBD wrote:
The Japanese industry is not only okay with marketing such titles to older otaku-- they are counting on it.

This is where my bs meter sort of flicks. Every sector of entertainment panders to its audience. That's the producer's job, even altering the artist's work in order to broaden the market or increase chances of financial success. So criticizing this particular sector for doing that seems disingenuous. That's why I end up discussing cultural sensibilities, because I don't see pandering as a valid issue.

SakechanBD wrote:
If Fox put out a Lisa Simpson body pillow of her stretched out in lingerie, blushing, the American public would flip their sh*t.

LOL. Precisely my point. It's the culture, not the content. Works of art don't cause specific reactions in people, the people cause their own reactions, evidenced by the infinitely broad human responses to the same work.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2212180.stm). No need to even wonder about the Middle East reaction...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

SakechanBD wrote:
The Japanese industry is not only okay with marketing such titles to older otaku-- they are counting on it.

This is where my bs meter sort of flicks. Every sector of entertainment panders to its audience. That's the producer's job, even altering the artist's work in order to broaden the market or increase chances of financial success. So criticizing this particular sector for doing that seems disingenuous. That's why I end up discussing cultural sensibilities, because I don't see pandering as a valid issue.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pandering. I may like a show less because of it, but I have nothing against the principle of it. Everyone panders. I simply said that the Japanese pandered to their older otaku audience, which is why you can't just say, "Yes, but all the characters are 14!" Because while all the characters are 14, the creators know that many of the viewers are much older. And although you think that a viewer has no part in a creative work, I am arguing that viewers are definitely an integral part in any show or movie, and pandering is surely one of the signs.

Also, if you wanted to argue film theory, we could go back to one of our earlier interchanges where we argued over whether viewers were "part" of a work or not. The difference, in my mind, between a movie viewer and a Broadway viewer is that when you're watching a movie on the big screen, you are effectively in the scene. You are watching the events unfold in front of you, and you are transported into the movie. With a play, there is no chance of being transported into it, because you are watching live actors recount a tale on a stage in front of you. If one of them coughs, you are suddenly reminded that you are not part of the production.

FYI, Malaysia is not in the Middle East. ; )
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

With a play, there is no chance of being transported into it, because you are watching live actors recount a tale on a stage in front of you. If one of them coughs, you are suddenly reminded that you are not part of the production.

FYI, Malaysia is not in the Middle East. ; )

I'm going to disagree with you on that Bamboo. I think that depends on the quality of the actors involved in the play. I've been to many plays where the actors have managed to wrap me up in the story thoroughly throughout the entire performance.

And I may be mistaken on this, but I think pparker was just making a reference that the Middle-East reaction would be even worse than Malaysia's. Maybe not though. I think many Middle-East review boards work this way.

"It has Western ideas in it?"
REJECTED!
"It has Eastern ideas in it?"
REJECTED!

*edit*
I didn't change anything. I just noticed I failed to capitalize something that should have been capitalized.

Last edited by Ralifar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ralifar wrote:
I've got a request. I'm really not trying to by a smartass or anything like that, but could you guys(PJ, Zac, Blood, and anyone else that wants to talk about it) start your own thread if you want to continue discussing your interpersonal skills or lack-there-of?

And yet a smartass is what you are coming across as to me. This is a thread in the Talkback forum dedicated to discussing "Shelf Life - Fists of Fury." It's not like we've been debating boxers vs briefs here. Nonetheless, I certainly hope the villain who is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read our posts eventually lets you go.

Yeah, you guys stopped discussing the article a while ago and are now working on whether or not your responses and behavior are appropriate. It's distracting from people who are trying to talk about the shows.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I simply said that the Japanese pandered to their older otaku audience... Because while all the characters are 14, the creators know that many of the viewers are much older.

But we started this talking not about the Japanese audience reaction, but your own and other opinions in the thread. My objection was to lumping HiMM in with every other pantsu otaku show, because I saw it in a different way, that's all. And taken as simply an artistic work of gag comedy, that age range and its consistency are a primary element to its humor.

I still say it's Western-influenced attitudes that make it difficult in the U.S. to judge the show on its merits as a Japanese production--but I also fully acknowledge that every element of the show contributes to its "merit" in the eyes of the viewer, so any opinion is valid.

SakechanBD wrote:
And although you think that a viewer has no part in a creative work, I am arguing that viewers are definitely an integral part in any show or movie, and pandering is surely one of the signs.

Okay, let me revise that to "no active participation in the physical and mental act of creation of a work of art". The concept of a viewer, an audience, holds a place in the creative process usually, but the viewer themselves do not play an active role. Pandering fits fine with that.

But again, we are back to individual perceptions and culture. Beyond your personal reactions to the quality of the show, the only other intention behind decrying otaku pandering specifically is because it invokes the taboo of "old men and young girls", or any age differential considered inappropriate in relation to sexual attitudes or activities. I heartily agree that in our modern societies actual physical sexual activity conducted with a child is abhorrent. Not from a moral standpoint, but a societal one. In earlier societies, the age of majority was 14, or even less, and it was not negative under the existing circumstances of survival and propogation of the society. As were relationships between people widely disparate in age. But the consequences of such action in our modern societies can be considered negative by default (though there are no absolutes), and we have laws to prevent or punish that activity for the average, overall good of society and its members.

This also leads logically to the concept that works of art induce people to commit physical acts, which is entirely unfounded by any statistical evidence I've seen, and I have looked for it. That is regardless of anyone's opinion on it, learned or otherwise. In fact, statistics point to the opposite conclusion. So someone chooses to sit in their room and masturbate to pictures? Meh, who cares? We'd like to see better behavior from that person maybe, but removing their pictures and suppressing the artists and an industry isn't the answer to that problem. Because the art is NOT the cause of the behavior. People themselves, and only themselves even if by passive agreement, cause their own behavior. Each and every moment of it.

SakechanBD wrote:
Also, if you wanted to argue film theory...

Which I don't mind, though I'm probably at a disadvantage Wink. Anyway... I understand and agree with that technical principle of film vs. stage. But it's not black and white. Theater in the round? Breaking the fourth wall in film? And you are still a viewer, and at the effect point of the creator's causative action, not a "participant" unless physical audience participation is part of the production (beginning with applause as the first step). Your actual participation in film is an illusion. The creator's consideration of you as audience in their thinking does not add you to the work.

Creators play with that principle fairly often outside standard genre fare. In any case, I think we are arguing two different points here. That all started with the "character" misunderstanding, and is covered in my "participation" clarification above. No matter what, the physical act of viewing a film provides no direct connection to the creative process, unless you are prepared to cancel physics as we know it.

And yes, this:
Ralifar wrote:
pparker was just making a reference that the middle east reaction would be even worse than Malaysia's.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yeah, you guys stopped discussing the article a while ago and are now working on whether or not your responses and behavior are appropriate. It's distracting from people who are trying to talk about the shows.

Well, without referencing any of the exchanges between Zac and PJ which are none of my business, my exchanges with Zac have been about the right and wrong way to express criticism about reviewers, which sprung from the column in question. Besides which, this is a written dialogue so it's not like a loud conversation in RL that drowns out other discussion around it. You yourself could have written something about "Shelf Life - Fists of Fury" (like pparker is doing) but chose to engage with the "distraction" instead. Practice what you preach.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would just love to see this absolutely lovely discussion go on uninterrupted, I'm curious about a few things:

@Amelia (ReiClone88?) where did you get/come across that last picture (the one in the silver frame)? It is certainly something I wouldn't mind owning, that's for sure.

And Ralifar, what branch are you in? I signed my soul (no, I don't have any misgivings) April 1st and joined the USMC and will be going to basic this December myself.

As for the column, pretty lackluster batch this time around.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not in anything anymore. I was in the army for seven and a half years. I joined when I was 18. I was stationed at FT Hood, TX for four and a half years. I did two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. You want to know what the worst portion of my Military career was? Worse than any of my deployments. It was the year I spent recruiting out of Memorial City Mall in Houston. This was actually why I volunteered to go over to Afghanistan, so I wouldn't have to spend another year doing it.

The military has it's ups and downs. You probably didn't do wrong by yourself by joining. All those deployments did contribute to me being able to amass a large anime collection. Razz

I've spent the past year and a half in Afghanistan just working as a civilian contractor. I'm going home next month though to let the Government pay for me to finish up my degree in computer science.

I don't care if you think you're in good physical shape or not. You have 2 months to get into better shape. I guarantee it'll make basic training much easier. That's probably the best advice I can give you. Not that you asked for it. Wink
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ralifar wrote:
Well, I'm not in anything anymore. I was in the army for seven and a half years. I joined when I was 18. I was stationed at FT Hood, TX for four and a half years. I did two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. You want to know what the worst portion of my Military career was? Worse than any of my deployments. It was the year I spent recruiting out of Memorial City Mall in Houston. This was actually why I volunteered to go over to Afghanistan, so I wouldn't have to spend another year doing it.

The military has it's ups and downs. You probably didn't do wrong by yourself by joining. All those deployments did contribute to me being able to amass a large anime collection. Razz

I've spent the past year and a half in Afghanistan just working as a civilian contractor. I'm going home next month though to let the Government pay for me to finish up my degree in computer science.

I don't care if you think you're in good physical shape or not. You have 2 months to get into better shape. I guarantee it'll make basic training much easier. That's probably the best advice I can give you. Not that you asked for it. Wink

Hm, sounded like you were still in. No matter. I haven't done anything yet, so definitely hats off to you for your tours. And I can't blame you for hating recruiting. I'm not a recruiter but I can tell that it sucks.

What I'm really wondering about is what I'm going to do with all my collection. I'm not saying it's the most expansive thing out there, but I have plenty of anime, books and manga, video games, and models/toys (man, did I love Zoids, Digimon, and Gundam wing back in the day...there's also some BK pokemon toys/gold-plated whatever). I'm fairly certain that I'm not going to get enough room to house all that, especially given that there's going to be at least one other person (possibly two at this point) sharing the same room. Putting them in one of those cases like you did yours would work, but I'd rather not trash the original cases.

Yeah, I know. Although I should have been doing this much earlier, a few months ago I did start working out every day (one day lower body, the other upper) and running every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Despite doing so my station's weekly Wednesday PT doesn't seem to get any easier, and my IST has more or less plateaued out a month ago. I thought I pushed myself hard, but maybe not...
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
8 pages and it hasn't been written yet: Bamboo, you kick puppies! Laughing

DFBTG wrote:
@Amelia (ReiClone88?) where did you get/come across that last picture (the one in the silver frame)? It is certainly something I wouldn't mind owning, that's for sure.

I agree, that framed photographic artwork looks awesome. Homemade, maybe? I'm now inspired to try it with my own figure collection. Can digital cameras even take B/W photos?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Can digital cameras even take B/W photos?

Not that I know of. Should be easy enough to convert a color picture to B&W in an image editor.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
pparker wrote:

I realized later she was objecting to the catering to the "wrong" audience--it being inappropriate for older guys to enjoy watching 14 year old girls for purposes of titillation. My attention went onto the continued general criticism of anime for sexual content that offends the sensibilities of a non-Japanese audience. My sincere hope is that Japan completely ignores such external attempts at re-conditioning their artists and producers to pander to Western sensibilities instead of their own. I'm aware the general public in Japan doesn't support otaku-targeted works. But they also don't have the same cultural history of hang-ups on sex and nudity in their entertainment that are present particularly in the U.S. I happen to think that's healthy.

I'm not terribly concerned about whether or not titles like HiMM offend the delicate sensibilities of an American audience. I certainly don't have "conservative" values, and I never will. That being said, what I wrote in the review reflected my own personal opinions and values. Even in the context of a gag comedy, I don't think it's funny to force a middle school student to dress up in outfits, and then drool on her when her skirts rip. She could be 24, and I'd still be upset at the concept. (Notably, I actually enjoyed Ikki-Tousen, which involved high school girls getting their clothes ripped off, because I feel the tone was different, even though that show also offends tons of people.)

I certainly don't expect the Japanese anime industry to change their products to cater to the whims of American audiences, because the number of Americans who are buying HiMM is a mere fraction of the number of Japanese who are buying it. But also, there is simply a different cultural climate. The Japanese industry is not only okay with marketing such titles to older otaku-- they are counting on it. One simply has to look at the bevy of merchandise out there-- body pillows, moe dating sims, automatic masturbation machines that plug into your computer so you can use them while you're reading visual novels, etc. If Fox put out a Lisa Simpson body pillow of her stretched out in lingerie, blushing, the American public would flip their sh*t.

My point is, I care not what the Japanese or domestic viewers think. My extreme dislike for HiMM is entirely from my point of view. I find the show distasteful, and I know there are plenty of folks who disagree. And while age is indeed artificial in animation, that was a large source of my distaste. I am equally bothered by moe girls who are supposed to be 18 as I am bothered by buxom, mature girls who are supposed to be 14. However, upon reading the review, someone who enjoyed echhi, fanservice-laden comedies should be able to say, "Bamboo thought this was trash, but I bet I'll like it."

My sense of humor is a little dry, and that gets me in trouble sometimes. It's difficult to convey through text. My comment about tissues is about as serious as if I were to say, "If you don't like Cheetohs, then you hate America." I bet you $10 people would be offended by that, too, but in both cases, I'm just kidding.

HIMM reminds me of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It's inane, has no point or relevancy. It's just a ecchi with very bizzare crude humor that tends to be more absurd then offensive or suggestive. I personally find HIMM to be incredibly stupid then to be disturbing.

The idea of young otaku buying skimpy or semi nude bedsheets depicting moe girls to me is taboo. But it's Japanese culture. In Japan sex is viewed 4th dimesionally. They see fictional animated characters whether young,old whatever engaging in sex as fictional, therefore benign. If a young teen buys these bedsheets and wants to jack off on them. That's acceptable to them.(Masturbation is a very common acceptable subject in thier culture and the Japanese have a very liberal view on it) Though there are many Japanese people that could care less about anime, they at least respect it.

In America they see sexuality as something that should not be depicted in cartoons yet in almost everything live-action in America is riddled with sexuality. Talk about a double standard! Fictional live action characters are more likely to desensitize people then animated fiction.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The idea of young otaku buying skimpy or semi nude bedsheets depicting moe girls to me is taboo. But it's Japanese culture. In Japan sex is viewed 4th dimesionally. They see fictional animated characters whether young,old whatever engaging in sex as fictional, therefore benign. If a young teen buys these bedsheets and wants to jack off on them. That's acceptable to them.(Masturbation is a very common acceptable subject in thier culture and the Japanese have a very liberal view on it) Though there are many Japanese people that could care less about anime, they at least respect it.

If that's how it actually is in Japan, fine. The problem is when people keep trying to compare cultures as if being acceptable in Japan somehow means it should be accepted outside of Japan. What flies there doesn't always fly here and vice versa. Respect of culture is not a one-way street, you can say "That's how they do it in Japan", but remember other people and cultures may not agree.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

I agree, that framed photographic artwork looks awesome. Homemade, maybe? I'm now inspired to try it with my own figure collection. Can digital cameras even take B/W photos?
My Aunt's friend is a professional photographer, he's not an anime fan, but he finds anime figurines to be a fascinating art form and occasionally photographs them.
For my 17th birthday my Aunt ordered a high-resolution poster-size print from him. A few days later after she gave it to me during her visit, we took it to be framed at Michael's.

Here's a link to the original picture on his Flickr, but you'll need to be signed in due to the set it's in being labeled 18+:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceaserfineartphotography/2092348666/in/set-72157603391772986/
sidceaser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Jedi Master wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

My Aunt's friend is a professional photographer, he's not an anime fan, but he finds anime figurines to be a fascinating art form and occasionally photographs them.
For my 17th birthday my Aunt ordered a high-resolution poster-size print from him. A few days later after she gave it to me during her visit, we took it to be framed at Michael's.

Here's a link to the original picture on his Flickr, but you'll need to be signed in due to the set it's in being labeled 18+:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceaserfineartphotography/2092348666/in/set-72157603391772986/

Hi Amelia!

Is your aunt Kim Griffin?

I remember her picking this up a while back, but didn't know where it was going to end up!

Your framing looks perfect with it. I'm happy to have found a picture of it framed.

I'm going to reread the last few pages of this thread and contribute if I can. It looks like a good topic, and I'd love to join the discussion.

Cheers,
Sid Ceaser
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9