• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

So what is Bandai doing here? If reverse importation was that much of a concern then it could have been virtually nullified by just having dub-only release. But they didn't stop there, they reduced the episode count. It's silly, it's stupid, it's overkill. They said they didn't have the license to the foreign track on the Blu-ray release, that means the episode count decision between the Japanese and their American counterparts was probably made with a little spite, a little ignorance, and a little desperation. It's a trifecta.

It's not just a slap in the face for American fans. It's a kick in the crotch as well.

I expect that the drop in episode count has more to do with Bandai Entertainment trying to make money than the Japanese requiring it. It costs more to produce BDs than DVDs. They probably decided to reduce the episode count rather than increase the price. Has Bandai ever released any other shows (not movies) on Blu-ray? I'm not aware of any. So, unfortunately, we don't have anything to compare this to. It's quite likely that if they were to have free reign, they would release a dual-audio BD but still only have 4 episodes. Bandai is almost certainly hurting for money, and they haven't done much with Blu-ray yet, so they're likely to be very conservative and try and milk it for as much as they can in order to stay profitable.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Every Japanese foreign exchange student and young businessmen that I have meet (among the best English speakers that fit the anime age category, not expatriates) prefer to still have English subtitles on when they are watching movies and other such media.

Nearly all Japanese students study English in school, but they don't become fluent as English speakers/listeners. The focus is on reading and writing to pass tests. Attaining fluency in speaking and listening a language for most people requires lots of practice--and being willing to embarrass yourself--with native speakers. Both fairly rare for the Japanese. So it's not surprising they would still rely on or feel more comfortable with text.

Just to say, yes, this decision is making less and less sense. It appears only one thought was in mind--make it so Japanese won't import the BD's regardless of what it does to the customers for whom it was made.

But don't forget, Bandai U.S. themselves made the decision to release this BD--I'm assuming, since they do not release exclusively for Bandai and also made a point of blaming the Japanese for lack of rights, indicating they are a separate entity. Bandai U.S. could have simply waited until they could get the rights like any other R1 company does. Saying that the "Japanese" wouldn't give them the rights doesn't absolve them from responsibility for designing and scheduling this release.

And now I have to stop reading this thread. It pisses me off more each time. Back to re-watching Code Geass for the first time on those wonderful, extra-filled and high quality Bandai DVDs... Smile
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I can only see disaster for Gundam 00 and Code Geass BDs....
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Crazy. Those are the two shows I was waiting for on Blu-ray. Guess I'll have to settle with owning the DVDs...which really sucks.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Crazy. Those are the two shows I was waiting for on Blu-ray. Guess I'll have to settle with owning the DVDs...which really sucks.

We have no clue what Bandai is going to do with Code Geass and Gundam 00 with regards to Blu-ray. We don't know what they're going to do with any show and Blu-ray (except for Kurokami) for that matter. They could release all of their shows on BD eventually or none of them (though it will likely be somewhere in between). If you wait for the BDs for any show other than Kurokami, you're not guaranteed to ever have the chance to get them. And, of course, as Kurokami shows, even if we do get them on BD, there's no guarantee that we'll get them dual audio.

Now, I expect that some of Bandai's more recent shows which were actually produced in HD will eventually be released on BD with dual audio. But we could have quite a wait. So, if you want to wait for the BDs, feel free, but know that we have had no announcements of any kind from Bandai with regards to BDs for either Gundam 00 or Code Geass. So, if you wait, you may never get it. Or, if you buy them now, you may end up buying them a second time when they finally come out on BD.

Personally, at this point, for shows that have been released in R1 but not on BD, I buy the DVDs and then download versions with the BD video and dual audio. Hopefully, we'll at least get most of the shows from the past couple of years on BD eventually, but even Funimation is only releasing a small portion of their shows on BD at this point.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Either release the U.S. BD versions with the same options as DVD (maybe pricing them much higher) or don't release them yet, period. If you absolutely lose money regardless by releasing on BD here because of reverse importation, then just don't do it now. In a year, or when the risk is low enough, release the BD's. Simple.
You won't sell as many discs, but I would bet you could at least sell half as many as you would of crippled versions. Meaning you actually make the same profit, but you won't be losing goodwill and customers either. Once the reverse importation threat abates, lower the cost of BD's. The economic effect is the same as delaying the release, because then those who waited for price drops will buy it, except you did gain some revenue during the high-price period.

I think this is really the key difference between Funi's affordable box set releases for both DVD/BDs and Bandai Entertainment and perhaps why the Japanese Bandai Visual is much more wary. Funi always releases 1-2 years away after the last JP DVD/BD volume, while the Kurokami US release is immediately after the JP release, much like Kannagi.

I'm kind of torn because I love the idea of fast releases, but at the same time, not crippled ones Sad
I mean Kannagi's release was like "whoa, half-season box (no-frills) immediately available for $25?" No more reverse importation fears? But then again, that was Sony/Aniplex. Or maybe it was just an experiment.

pparker wrote:
But don't forget, Bandai U.S. themselves made the decision to release this BD--I'm assuming, since they do not release exclusively for Bandai and also made a point of blaming the Japanese for lack of rights, indicating they are a separate entity. Bandai U.S. could have simply waited until they could get the rights like any other R1 company does. Saying that the "Japanese" wouldn't give them the rights doesn't absolve them from responsibility for designing and scheduling this release.

Well, they are a separate entity Very Happy and I'm sure the people at Bandai Ent would love to get it uncrippled, since it's affecting their own income. Heck, they themselves would benefit from reverse importation! And Japan would not lose much, if any, or in fact gain more by lowering their prices for liked-but-less popular titles that people choose to ignore because of the massive expense in favor of more favored titles. So it's hard to really know how much sway they have in such negotiations.

BTW, browsing the fantasium site out of curiosity and I find it funny to see every single US anime DVD/BD there available at the same time of US release, including all of Bandai's and Sentai/Neo-ADV's recent releases Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Pardon my potential ignorance here, but if Japanese companies wanted to do things that would make an R1 Blu-ray release less attractive for re-importation, couldn't they just insist that the English subtitles can't be turned off if the Japanese sound track is playing? It seems to me having subtitles in a foreign language on the screen would be a turn off. I know it would for me.

I realize you're trying to point to a solution. But what if you live in the U.S. and understand Japanese? You've once again excluded a segment of the market.
No, that market would just import the raw from Japan. Simples. I wonder if Bandai ever heard of reverse fansubbing? Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Given the growing sentiment of "official, professionally translated subtitled anime on DVD/BD is worthless" (as seen in every thread ever dealing with sub-only releases), I think this dub-only release is a good move. After all, people don't want to pay for language tracks they don't want, right?
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
@ Zalis116

I see what you did there. Laughing

Even though I'm a dub person, I never would have thought that this would happen unless it was the usual Pokemon type DVD stuff. So I wonder how those who feel the opposite now see how we feel when surrounded by sub-only DVDs. Perfect world, would love to see more audio tracks(more than just Japanese and English), but alas.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@ Zalis116

Even though I'm a dub person, I never would have thought that this would happen unless it was the usual Pokemon type DVD stuff. So I wonder how those who feel the opposite now see how we feel when surrounded by sub-only DVDs. Perfect world, would love to see more audio tracks(more than just Japanese and English), but alas.

Like I've said, it's slightly different and not as simple as that "hah now you see how it feels!" because for the sub-only DVDs, can you really be that pissed over something that hasn't, or might not ever exist in the first place? It's crying over spilt milk that you haven't even purchased yet. Cutting out something that already does exist is a bad move because it already has recognition or people that might like it. The studios here can do whatever they please with a dub, make it sound dumb, hire bad actions, hire good actors, turn it in to a joke dub, but I feel it's imperative that they leave the Japanese dub alone. It's somebody's work and effort, and I wonder how not-including it on the BD affects royalties/other monetary issues back in Japan for the actors/recording studios/etc.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Haterater wrote:
@ Zalis116

Like I've said, it's slightly different and not as simple as that "hah now you see how it feels!" because for the sub-only DVDs, can you really be that pissed over something that hasn't, or might not ever exist in the first place? It's crying over spilt milk that you haven't even purchased yet. Cutting out something that already does exist is a bad move because it already has recognition or people that might like it. The studios here can do whatever they please with a dub, make it sound dumb, hire bad actions, hire good actors, turn it in to a joke dub, but I feel it's imperative that they leave the Japanese dub alone. It's somebody's work and effort, and I wonder how not-including it on the BD affects royalties/other monetary issues back in Japan for the actors/recording studios/etc.
It appears you're doing exactly what you are accusing Haterater of doing, also you appear to not have read the updates to this. The Japanese track wasn't licenced for the US R1, or RB release, therefore the master tape/disc/data probably had no language at all, only background sounds and music. You didn't loose what you never had, and as for royalties in Japan, that is an oxymoron. Wink
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It appears you're doing exactly what you are accusing Haterater of doing, also you appear to not have read the updates to this. The Japanese track wasn't licenced for the US R1, or RB release, therefore the master tape/disc/data probably had no language at all, only background sounds and music. You didn't loose what you never had, and as for royalties in Japan, that is an oxymoron. Wink

Pretty sure he meant the fact that Japanese audio track is already available in the master tapes/source from the licensor, from whom Bandai US will be doing the transfer from.

But yeah, regarding royalties, doesn't happen. The studio--animators, voice actors, writers--are basically contractors for the licensors/production committees. Unless it's self-sponsored or self-published, once a show is done, folks at the studio are basically out of the picture for that show.

Haterater wrote:
@ Zalis116

Actually this whole debacle does provide us with a rare chance to experiment, to test what people would choose they had to choose one or the other but not both. I don't mean to be antagonistic but I hear all the time that dubs are critical for the success of a show, but how critical? Enough to stand on it's own without a sub? In other words, which would fare worse: dub-only or sub-only?
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Haterater wrote:
@ Zalis116

Actually this whole debacle does provide us with a rare chance to experiment, to test what people would choose they had to choose one or the other but not both. I don't mean to be antagonistic but I hear all the time that dubs are critical for the success of a show, but how critical? Enough to stand on it's own without a sub? In other words, which would fare worse: dub-only or sub-only?

No, actually it doesn't. Regardless of how this series was going to be released; dub only, sub only or both, odds were very high it wasn't going to sell very well period. Its sales were horrid in Japan, so to think even with the Japanese track it would magically fly off the shelf would be the grandest of optimism. Any assumptions that would or will be made by how this release sells with only a eng dub track wont count for much.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
This could have been an interesting experiment to determine how much dub-only fans contribute to the success of a R1 anime release with sub-only fans excluded from the sales data. But the reduced episode count combined with a superior DVD release prevents me from imagining anyone but the most hardcore blueray-dub-only fans from purchasing this. Even if they didn't get a license for the Japanese audio, they still have not explained the reduced episode count.

Yeah, this guy's right, the "experiment" would be tainted by those other factors.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
After all, people don't want to pay for language tracks they don't want, right?

Wanting isn't the issue. We wouldn't be able to get the Japanese track either way. It's this or nothing. For $20 a volume I'll take the dub. Let's hope it's a good one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9