• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
drgonzo369 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

If they use the R2J remastered dvds for the video, that'll be awesome.

Shawne posted on AOD that they are using the remastered video and all 26 episodes will be included.

There were only 24 episodes that aired. The final two were released on video in early 1987 in a collection called "Dirty Pair To angels With love."
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Took ADV long enough to let go of it....

Dirty Pair was so good, enough so to be a defining foundation of the hot-girls-with-guns anime genre. There are lots of hot-girls-with-guns anime now. After watching those, depends on what your expectations now how much you'll enjoy DP. Back then, there weren't much expectations obviously - there weren't many hot-girls-with-guns anime.

Oh, just a bit of tidbit, "Kei" and "Yuri" are referenced several times in the Star Trek universe, so even back then, their writers have taken to it. Laughing

Heh. Though, I see the link fails to mention that those robots called Exocomps from one of the earlier seasons of the show were based on Kei and Yuri's robot, Nammo. Smile
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Since so many have commented on it I figure I'd better reply, even if it is off topic a bit. Laughing

I fully plan to watch Evangelion (I do have that 1.01 film and have seen it btw) and RahXephon both. I'm part of the 'Toonami' generation, so there's lots of good and not-so-good titles I've heard about for AGES now that I'll only just now be seeing...once I get to getting them anyway. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
We'll I guess you can vouch for rarity and nostalgia. Streamline went out of business 11 years ago and alot of thier old VHS and Laser Disc masters are rare and hard to find.

http://www.animerepublic.net/images/gallery/VHS/Anime%20VHS%20group%2022.jpg

That picture has one title from Streamline, one from Viz, and 2 from CPM. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
We'll I guess you can vouch for rarity and nostalgia. Streamline went out of business 11 years ago and alot of thier old VHS and Laser Disc masters are rare and hard to find.

Not to mention that THAT version of Windaria is butchered by Harmony Gold, then released by Streamline. As far as I remember, only TWO releases by Streamline were heavily edited. Windaria and Robot Carnival (though Robot Carnival was merely reshuffled from it's original R2J play order).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
A twenty six year old anime series has been licensed? Now? With the way the other companies are going? I'm totally stoked for this, since Dirty Pair was probably my gateway anime 20 some odd years ago, but now I have to hand it to Shawne, since he must have huge brass....to bring this series out now. Put me down for a copy!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
A twenty six year old anime series has been licensed? Now? With the way the other companies are going? I'm totally stoked for this, since Dirty Pair was probably my gateway anime 20 some odd years ago, but now I have to hand it to Shawne, since he must have huge brass....to bring this series out now. Put me down for a copy!

Like others have mentioned, Rightstuf has the ability to see how product moves, and they've sold out of all of their other Dirty Pair related DVDs. But then again, most of those were marked down pretty low.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I know. so sue me. Streamline VHS prints are hard to find on the internet.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

The series is 25.

Dirty Pair aired on Nippon TV monday nights from July 15- to December 23,1985.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

Not to mention that Rightstuf seems to focus primarily on the niche titles for the harcore fans (for which I love them) Older shows fit nicely into the category of niche titles for hardcore fans, and DP has been a pretty popular series, it seems. It makes total sense for them to license it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
'The Streamline dubs of 1990 were unbeilevebly supbar and dull. Why anyone would want to hear them again, is beyond me ." .
Kyogissun wrote:
...Meh. Pointless license. I'm sure maybe it'll get some sales but...

Oh well. Probably didn't cost them much. Whatever...

I mean, like others said, it's nice to see old stuff get licensed but I gotta be honest, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this series.

Oh that and I also watched it a couple years ago when it was on Showtime. The TV series and Dirty Pair Flash.

It's only pointless to you-not to people (like myself) who happen to enjoy the Dirty Pair. And as to the originial Streamline dubs being dull and subpar-I prefer them to the crappy redub ADV did when they re-released the 3 movies.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...Meh. Pointless license. I'm sure maybe it'll get some sales but...

Oh well. Probably didn't cost them much. Whatever...

I mean, like others said, it's nice to see old stuff get licensed but I gotta be honest, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this series.

Oh that and I also watched it a couple years ago when it was on Showtime. The TV series and Dirty Pair Flash.

You know, you're probably alone in your opinion just like somebody who thinks On-Live is going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Dirty Pair is a magical GEM from the 1980s. Probably one of the most cultic smash hit anime series to come out of that decade adored by those who grew up in it and hated by the younger generation.

I own all three no, 4 OVAs and the movies. They were my first legit anime purchase.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is some news. Well, again 'Rightstuf' has a history for releasing older stuff. I thought that 'ADV' had once tried to release the series but for some reason gave up. Well, whatever the case I'm glad. This is good news for "old-school" collectors.

Way to go 'Rightstuf!'
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
^It's not a re-release. The tv show has never been released in North America before. God, I'm so happy about this. Anime hyperD

*slaps head* No wonder I was thinking something was really odd about the news. I knew other Dirty Pair entries were released here, so I thought that this was license rescue since its been awhile since a DP show was last released here. The dub clamor definitely threw me for a loop, as I was under the impression RS/Nozomi couldn't get the rights to the (non-existent) dub, which was strange given that rescues almost always have them included. Thanks for clearing that up. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

With that in mind, it makes a lot of fiscal sense to release an old show like DP sub-only. Old-school anime aren't always hard sellers and it would be too risky for a small operation like their's to fund a dub for it, even if it does have a fan base (not large enough to warrant one, though). Still, it's great to see something from that era getting distributed in this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
This is really excellent news. The original Dirty Pair is one of my favorite series, and I can say that as someone who actually only first watched it a few months ago (many years after watching DP Flash, which in retrospect is vastly inferior). I do have a fondness for retro shows, and Dirty Pair was fabulous.

Women Being Awesome is one of the main things I look for in anime, and Kei and Yuri were being totally competent, kick-ass women years before anyone else. Don't let their space bikinis fool you, they are always smart and tough in the face of the many crazy situations they get into.

I'm really pleased at the opportunity to buy it so soon after discovering it. Now, if only someone would rerelease Utena. Even though I already own the CPM set, I'd buy it all over again in a heartbeat...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10