• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Character chemistry.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I've found that, to me, a romance in anime has to have a bit of that something called romantic chemistry where the characters click to you as being natural and believable. I'm a bit tired all the "Mary Tsunderes" out there that beat their love interest to death at the drop of a hat, as amusing as it is, and constantly deny the way they feel.

What are your thoughts on the matter? What has to happen in order for you to find a couple believable?

This post was inspired by a recent rewatch of Spice and Wolf which is a very good example of what I'm talking about and a now deceased necrothread.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool question. For me, Lovely Complex is an almost perfect example of a show that actually demonstrated WHY a couple was together as opposed to, in effect, just telling us it is so. My personal pet peeve in romance anime is the "oh, you did something nice for me when we were both six years old and since that day I've loved you and wanted to marry you." Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Lovely Complex realistically (and humorously) traced the development of two people who spoiler[liked each other platonically (and somewhat antagonistically) as friends, her realization that she liked him more than a friend, his slower realization of the same thing and then - miracle of miracles! - the show got them together with enough time left to actually play out some of the relationship.]

Toradora! is another example of a romantic pair I totally bought, although I'd say that the show relied more on charm than the somewhat more realistic dynamic portrayed in Lovely Complex.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My personal pet peeve in romance anime is the "oh, you did something nice for me when we were both six years old and since that day I've loved you and wanted to marry you." Lazy, lazy, lazy.

I'd agree to an extent that it's too often used as an flimsy excuse but I think depending on the depth at which they are shown to connect it can be believable too. Ex: Ai Yori Aoshi. I felt Aoi and Kouru had some good chemistry and evolved despite the relationship starting off as the "It was decided long ago that we'd be married but [insert some type of trauma or event] happened" variety.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that if the relationship of the present is believable I'd be willing to accept a frivolous excuse as to what started it off. Maybe it's supposed to a bit more romantic than relationships that started because they worked together, or sat next to each other in class.
Hulten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with that.

I mean in most Anime, that I have watched, they don't really give a reason as to why they are in love or why they have interest. Or at least, not a very good reason for the love or interest. They really seem to just choose any half ass reason and say "Oh well, that should be good enough." and never give much depth to it.

It just seems so lazy of them to just throw any small reason as to why they are together. Also, in some harem Anime, they main boy interest is a two dimensional wimp who usually gets his ass kicked and some how these women find it attractive. (Not to say that the not-so-nice-people beating said main boys ass are that much an attractive quality either.)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Chemistry is one thing I always look at when doing reviews for (especially) romcoms or serious romances. Truly strong chemistry between members of a couple is, in my observation, fairly rare, although seeing it in more moderate doses is fairly common. When it is present, though, it's special.

This isn't limited to outwardly romantic couples, either. Jinto and Lafiel from Crest/Banner of the Stars is one of the best examples of this that I can think of in anime. They complement each other so wonderfully that viewers practically ache to see them together. Not surprisingly, they were one of our finalists in the Best Duo Tournament we held a couple of years back in these forums.

The duo that narrowly beat them for the title in that tournament, Kurau and Christmas from Kurau Phantom Memory, is another great example. Defining the exact kind of love they have for each other is rather difficult (it's somewhere between romantic, familial, and friendship), but it's impossible to deny that these two are so tight that seeing them apart is as unnatural as seeing limbs separated from a body's torso.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Romeo x Juliet. That series works because the chemistry which develops between the title characters is so strong and credible.

Anime romances can succeed without a lot of chemistry in the central romance (and often have), but they generally feel shallow by comparison to the ones with good doses of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I've found that, to me, a romance in anime has to have a bit of that something called romantic chemistry where the characters click to you as being natural and believable. I'm a bit tired all the "Mary Tsunderes" out there that beat their love interest to death at the drop of a hat, as amusing as it is, and constantly deny the way they feel.

What are your thoughts on the matter? What has to happen in order for you to find a couple believable?

I don't think personally a romantic, or simply platonic, relationship HAS to have good chemistry, or any, for the show to be enjoyable. Provided the show doesn't rely on that couple with their lack of chemistry. if it does....well...that's going to be a bad show. That being said I think good chemistry is needed for a couple to really excel. If the characters have good chemistry it elevates the show immensely. Obviously romantic couples are the hardest ones to have good chemistry with. Such a relationship requires more effort and more thought then a purely platonic one. At least I think they do as the romance adds another facet to the relationship beyond friendship. Good chemistry is what separates the mediocre, poor, or simply good shows from the very good shows and masterpieces. I would agree with all of Key's examples, especially Kurau and Christmas. For a romantic couple I would add Aoi and Kaoru to the list. Sure they start out with the old "childhood friends and I want to marry you" but as the show goes on they grow together and really come together as a couple. They really come to discover their true feelings and that they want to be together. They really work well together and the manga highlights this even better then the anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well yeah, I had anime within the romance genre in mind with this thread. It's not show breaker if it's not there in a show that doesn't focus on it. However it is quite nice when a series of a non-romance variety goes the extra mile to have character chemistry between the two involved in the romance sideplot and is preferable to not having it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well yeah, I had anime within the romance genre in mind with this thread. It's not show breaker if it's not there in a show that doesn't focus on it. However it is quite nice when a series of a non-romance variety goes the extra mile to have character chemistry between the two involved in the romance sideplot and is preferable to not having it.

It does make believing the romance easier that's for sure. I personally find it's less of an issue if it's a comedy show as well. At least in romantic comedies if the romance aspect isn't on par they can fall back on some comedy to save them. Won't work entirely but at least it's something of a distraction. If it's a more serious show though and the chemistry is not there what else does the show have to fall back on to help elevate it?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Story power and action I'd say but your question is probably rhetorical anyway. Smile
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
My absolute favorite anime couple/chemistry is, hands down, George and Yukari from Paradise Kiss. It never plays too far into unbelieveable territory... they meet over completely plantonic (businesslike, even) circumstances, and learn to like each other slowly. What I love the most is, even after they 'get together', it's not all sunshine and roses- nor is it total melodrama either. They bicker. They pick on each other. They get into stupid fights that don't last very long becuase they actually talk it out later. It's that kind of comfort with another person where you aren't too worried about making a good impression anymore, but you want to avoid upsetting them too much.

I don't know if I'm explaining it very well... but they were a genuine joy to watch on screen together. I loved every minute of it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This isn't limited to outwardly romantic couples, either. Jinto and Lafiel from Crest/Banner of the Stars is one of the best examples of this that I can think of in anime. They complement each other so wonderfully that viewers practically ache to see them together. Not surprisingly, they were one of our finalists in the Best Duo Tournament we held a couple of years back in these forums.

Upon glancing at this thread's title, Crest/Banner was one of the first examples that came into my head. The viewer relishes nearly every exchange of words between Jinto and Lafiel, as a combination of regal formalities and youthful naiveté both fail to conceal the affections they hold for one another. Indeed, the reserved manner by which they talk of their relationship renders it all the more appealing.

So unfortunate it is then, that much of the second series wastes its time focussing on the execution of a military operation and the nobility in control of such. Much of the action dwells upon characters far less endearing than Jinto and Lafiel, leaving the viewers anxious for the next moment of intimacy between the cast members for whom they care the most.

Similarly, the few episodes of His and Her Circumstances I watched exhibited flawless and masterfully directed scenes developing the central couple's relationship. Had there not been so much comedy intertwined with (and thus reducing the effectiveness of) the romance, I may well have continued viewing it.

One could say that despite the "chemicals" being good reactants, the reacting solution was doped with impurity ions impeding the production of the most strongly-bonded compounds. (Of course, once one demands more than a macroscopic overview of the hypothetical system, this analogy no longer works.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
The OP basically started off with the obvious example. Let's just say that the best couples do have that chemistry, because the creators are good enough to think about it.

Some couples are lucky to "graduate" from the beating to something more. I can safely refer to Kaname and Sousuke from FMP! - it's something generally noted, even by reviewers (in TSR). Granted, Gatoh isn't a master of romance, and the characters simply aren't together physically, so they don't have the chance to develop like Spice and Wolf; but his strengths lie elsewhere, and he even gave a quite mature look at some relationships of the supporting characters (Mao and Kurz).

Damn, I got to watch Kurau.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Some might argue this shouldn't count, but I vouch for Issac and Miria in Baccano! Seriously, those two were made for each other. True, they never really have any "romantic moments" between the two, but they don't need to, and honestly, Issac and Miria aren't the type to act that way. Really, just the support and optimism they give one another says it all.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Some might argue this shouldn't count, but I vouch for Issac and Miria in Baccano! Seriously, those two were made for each other. True, they never really have any "romantic moments" between the two, but they don't need to, and honestly, Issac and Miria aren't the type to act that way. Really, just the support and optimism they give one another says it all.

I agree. I cannot think of another pair in anime - not even Kurau and Christmas - where each is so flawlessly in sync with the other, and they just play off of each other beautifully. That is its own kind of chemistry. Their lack of participation in the Best Duo Tournament was that tournament's biggest oversight, as they could have easily been at least a quarterfinalist.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It's good to have some chemistry as part of a character relationship, whether it'd be the two characters in question engaging in a coversation with each other(not just on the romantic, but with other topics), hand-holding, etc. Of course having your favorite pairs confess and having a kissing scene is an added bonus, even if my favorite pairs don't get a kissing scene, the knowledge of how they deeply care for each other is satisfying to me.

I too love Jinto and Lafiel, I enjoy the relationship they have and how deeply they care for one another. They slightly tease one another, but also respect each other. I tend to go for the anime couples that are good to one another, with the teasing kept at a decent level, and respecting and accepting each other for whom he/she is on the inside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2